1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down With Love is the worst film of all time. …?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by CENSORED, Aug 25, 2003.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flying out from Birmingham Airport to Gran Canaria in the middle of July I had the dubious pleasure of watching Down With Love. It 'stars' Renee Zelwegger and Ewan McGregor and I assume it was made after Chicago to consolidate Miss Zelwegger's chameleon-like acting talents. The basic reason for making the movie appears to have been a modern attempt at a classic Doris Day style story with 'realistic' 60's setting. What the producer's have ended up with is utter crap!

I have never seen so many people on a plane so ****** off at shelling out for earphones only to pull them off and complain vociferously. I stuck with it to the end in an attempt to be objective and not assume the whole film was as bad as it's beginning. I can assure you that it is indeed the worst film I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of crap in my time. I couldn't find anyone who liked it or watched it all the way through, and I spoke to about 14 people.

This has bugged me ever since seeing it and I wondered if anyone else had taken leave of their senses and watched the damn thing. Am I alone in thinking it is mindless bilge? I give the makers top marks for capturing the relative feel for the genre, but the storyline and acting is abominable. Especially McGregor.

2. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m sorry it still has to be batman and robin as the worst flim.

3. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that ambulance film with nic cage in or j-lo and ben afflecs new un

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worst film ever for me is Mr Bean - the movie i hated it and i don't like the character at all its more annoying than funny now if only they had done a Blackadder film.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moulan Rouge. Utter, utter tosh.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anything with Nicole Kidman in it

7. F4STLOVE

F4STLOVE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daredevil what a waste of time only enjoyed it for Ben Affleck

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Threads like this never, ever work. People always nominate films that are mediocre rather than truly atrocious, but they were personally dissapointed by. If you wish to plumb the true depths of filmic awfulness then you need to look at lower budget, no-name outings - the sort of film that used to be referred to as "straight-to-video" or that nowadays gets shown on Sky Moviemax.

My personal nomination would be a slasher flick called "Blood Tracks". (See IMDB here for info). Or possibly some of those spectacularly bad 50s sci-fi efforts like the original "Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman" or of course almost anything directed by Ed Wood - especially the immortal "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :rotfl: Same thing happened this weekend on my return flight from Egypt. Many people paid for the headphones, then went ballistic halfway through 'cos they said the film was sooo bad! Obviously the charter airline were typically unrepentant.
    Fortunately I had a good book and didn't have to subject myself to what appeared to be a seriously odd-looking film! :rolleyes:

10. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    NicolasB is of course absolutely correct, and I would add that for every movie there will be someone who can find something within it of merit.

Of movies that I have seen, the tile of "my least favourite" would be a tie between 'Who's Harry Crumb?' and 'The Glimmer Man'.

Edit: Oh, and 'Spy Hard'. If it were not for a touch of Gaelic blood in my family, I would have walked out of the theater.

11. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Battle Royale
    Toys
    Last action hero
    All Van Damme films
    and one other which I can't think of at the moment - It's a **** take science fiction film.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

SoundStage - You nominated "Battle Royale"?! :eek:

That's a great film! I am presuming you do mean the controversial Japanese murder-your-schoolmates film, yes? How can you say that this is a "bad" film?

My nominations for genuinely bad films would have to include the following:

- The Blair Witch Project (It wasn't scary, or clever, nor even original! The acting was mediocre, and the directors have not been heard of since! Which kind of proves just how "good" they are, really! :D )

- Tomb Raider: The Movie (The ONLY film I've ever walked out of, for being just so damn awful! As soon as Chris Barries appears as Lara Croft's servant, all I see is Mr Brittas in a penguin-suit! And even Angelina Jlie in THAT costume doesn't save the film.)

- Bone Monkey (Probably the most unfunny film I've ever rented on video. About as enjoyable as having pins put through your eyelids! And to think it starred Brendan "The Mummy" Fraser and Bridget "Jackie Brown" Fonda as well! :laugh: )

I admit there are probably a heap of other direct-to-video films that could easily beat the above three movies, but they are still bad films regardless of who or what they are made for!

Pooch

13. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, I will have to watch Down With Love at some point - it's got Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) playing an air hostess. She's probably only in it for 30 seconds, but nevermind.

Come to think of it, that's the only reason I watched Dracula 2000 (2001), she was a TV reporter. That film was also pretty bad.

Oh yeah - and Battle Royale is an excellent film. Why do you think it was bad?

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I saw Collateral Damage on sunday evening.:rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm greatful it only cost me £2 to rent.

15. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ReTrO - 'You can be the asshole'

I can't tell you the volume of laughter that generated in the Cinema.

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I thought the first hour of the film was Ok, nae bad, nae good. Then 1/2 hour from the end it just got silly. :D

Somehow my mate and I predicted the whole ending as soon as we stopped that damn prehistroic beast. :)

17. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    I have to register Jerry Maguire here- the only film I fell asleep in the cinema watching. For straight to video tat I think a film with Nicholas Cage called Trapped in Paradise was the worst thing I'd ever seen.

18. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh the only film I've fallen to sleep watching at the cinema is Star Wars Episode II.

But when I got that home on DVD I loved it, so I won't nominate it.

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    i have to nominate, that crap with Elizabeth Berkley in it, she plays a stripper.....ah yes, Showgirls!!

Quite possibly, the worst film ever......well Tomb Raider comes in a very close 2nd!

20. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB, Confucious,

You are both correct of course but I think the point of the thread may have been missed. I wasn't asking anyone else what they thought their 'worst film ever' was, I was simply saying that Down With Love was the worst film I had ever seen. I was really looking for comment from others who may have caught this abomination. I suppose I should have made this clear from the start, so apologies for that. Some of the posts were quite interesting as most of the nominations I have yet to see. Can't agree with Battle Royale though, I thought it was a fairly uncompromising splatter movie. Even kept the wife awake and had us both rooting for our favourites to be the eventual survivor.

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    CENSORED do you want me to alter the title of the thread to something like Down With Love is the worst film of all time. …?

22. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The worst film for me was "The Blair Witch Project " Boring..Boring..Boring. ......Having just seen "Straw dogs" on the TV. I would vote that as the next worst film...Idiotic story line and as tame as an episode of Telly Tubbies:D

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnny English...to think that Blackadder has reverted to this 5hite...WHY!!??:confused:

24. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure thing, if it clarifies the situation go ahead.

25. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Getting back to "Down With Love", I had this inflicted on me twice (IE the outbound and return flight) whilst on Holiday to Fuetre Ventura.

The production design and opening credits (very saul Bass) played homage to those big budget early 60's romantic comedies, but the actually narrative, humour and performances were lame.

I'm amazed this got a green light form the studio.

26. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of fun...

I thought that Jerry Maguire was one of the best films I've seen - just goes to show.....now for a reasonably recent film that was a shocker...Die another day.....what a waste of money!

Oh by the way - "Down With Love" - love to criticise this properly but I fell asleep on the plane also and missed it!

Cheers

27. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Bah! Crazy people!

Tomb Radier - Not the best film ever but entertaining and it has Angelina Jolie!

Anything with Nicole Kidman? - I liked To Die For.

Battle Royale was a very good film.

Johnny English had Natalie Imbruglia, it was pretty bad though.

Jerry Maguire was brilliant.

My worst:

Crash (1996) - Only watched 30 minutes, I couldn't go on.

Monkeybone - That was torturous.

The ones I haven't seen because I fear they will rot my brain:

Freddy got Fingered

Glitter

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Matrix reloaded - awful tosh!!

Gary