Down Jacket for UK

taxboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on buying a down jacket for UK use. Will be used for standing around on cold windy days in East Anglia. The question is will I be OK with say a microlight style , go for something equivalent to a RAB Electron or more expedition style.

Feedback from jacket owners appreciated

Looking for some advice on buying a down jacket for UK use. Will be used for standing around on cold windy days in East Anglia. The question is will I be OK with say a microlight style , go for something equivalent to a RAB Electron or more expedition style.

Feedback from jacket owners appreciated
Rab Electron if you are not moving about all the time. The microlight ones are not warm enough if you are stood about.

I work outside all year round so am probably a fair bit more used to the cold than most. If not being active my go to cold weather jacket is a 700 fill Marmot. ( the Rab is 800).
One thing to be wary of though is they loose a fair whack of insulation if they get wet and are a bugger to dry out. If you are going to get wet either get a decent synthetic fill or layer up with a microlight inbetween a decent baselayer or two and under a breathable waterproof shell.

I have the Rab Neutrino Endurance and it's been brilliant at keeping me warm at the side of football pitches. I also have just got a lighter one Rab Nimbus which I wore Sunday with just a t-shirt underneath and it did the job but doubt it will do the same come winter. Don't know where you are in the country but Rab have a great factory shop which is open a couple of afternoons a week not far from J28 of the M1.

I have a Rab Microlight down jacket. It’s perfect for British winters - easily warm enough, and light enough to layer on wet days with a shell jacket on top. As above - don’t get it soaking wet. Fine for brief showers, but not for downpours.

I find it most effective when worn with a single layer underneath like a long sleeve T or base layer.

Unless your standing completely still in -10 it’ll be fine.

And theres some odd layer of warm air from the ground to around arse height in East Anglia?
Im OK at the base as I've got waterproof lined trousers. My query was about getting a down jacket so I can avoid that bundled up feeling on the colder days that comes from wearing base layer, fleece plus waterproof outer

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom