Down firing vs Forward firing

mohsin_uk

I know its been asked many times before but I am not asking if a DF or FF subwoofer effects the sound. I am trying to find out if a down firing sub has to work harder as it is pulling up and down?

Hope the question doesnt seem silly.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Well, the opposite question could just as easily apply. I suppose you could imagine its harder for the driver to pull up into the cabinet as it would be working against gravity, but then gravity would be helping it on the down stroke. I bet it you measured this, calculated the average of the two effects, there would be no difference between df and ff.
Its not anything worth worrying about. You could also think about if a forward firing driver sags towards the bottom of the cabinet a little leading to non linear driver motion, of if a driver sags of centre in a df mounting, but again, the truth is there is probably a slight affect, but nothing that has any effect in the subs normal operation.

mohsin_uk

Thanks for the reply Moonfly. I was just curious because I cant see the driver when its in operation so wasnt sure how much it moves and if being DF was having any effect on its movement.

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Moonfly. I was just curious because I cant see the driver when its in operation so wasnt sure how much it moves and if being DF was having any effect on its movement.

I've only had DF subs, so can't comment on the difference, but can tell you that Tom at BK Electronics says there is no difference, (he should know) and I think that if you read through the various BK threads then the same conclusion is reached.
Don't need to see it to hear it, I can't see the tweeter move on my speakers, buyt O do know it works!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom