Doubt about quality and best choice overall

Luiz Toledo

Novice Member
Hello Everyone!

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.

Today my setup consists of an Elite Screen 110" and an Optoma HD20, see it's specs below.
  • True High Def 1080p Resolution
  • 1700 Lumens Brightness
  • 4000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • Up to 300-Inch Screen size
  • HDI Component, Composite, Video, and VGA Connections
This is a projector from 2011, it served me well, but it is time for another one to take place. So I wonder what you guys have to say about LCD vs DLP.

I have 3 projectors in mind.

BenQ TK850 - DLP (This one has Dynamic Iris) 30.000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3000 Lumens, 4k $1,430.00
Optoma UHD52ALV - DLP 500.000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3500 Lumens, 4k $1,799.00
Epson Home Cinema 4000 - 3LCD 140.000:1 Contrast Ratio, 2400 Lumens, 1080 (4k enhancement) $ 1,430.00

My projector is in my living room, which is very lit. To watch during the day, even with the curtains closed, it gets really hard to watch.
So I want a projector that would be way better to watch during the day, and of course to have a very good image.
Looking at the specs I would go for the Optoma, but some people say they would never choose a DLP over 3LCD.

Can I have a few opinions, please???

I was also considering going for a Samsung 85" but since I already have the Elite screen, probably I won't do that. For those who need, my living room is 16x10.

Thank you

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Daytime viewing - you have to think suitable projector plus a suitable screen surface if you want to avoid wash out. We have a few customers with various Epson units who do use them daytime with a conventional screen surface and find they do a decent enough job for non critical viewing.

DLP - I would always advise you to go have a look at one, I find the colour wheel distracting so tend to avoid them.

Joe

Luiz Toledo

Novice Member
Daytime viewing - you have to think suitable projector plus a suitable screen surface if you want to avoid wash out. We have a few customers with various Epson units who do use them daytime with a conventional screen surface and find they do a decent enough job for non critical viewing.

DLP - I would always advise you to go have a look at one, I find the colour wheel distracting so tend to avoid them.

Joe
Thank you Joe for your comment! One of the reasons why I got 2 projectors with at least 3000 lumens. Epson has 2200 that's why I thought it would be the worst option, and of course because it is not real 4k.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Lumens - is very much the modern 'watts per channel', I am always wary of the headline figures vs. how they measure when you put a viewable image on screen in a light controlled room.

If 'daytime' viewing is a big requirement for you and needs a half decent image I would look at a surface designed for that requirement.

'Real' 4k gets very complicated once you start to dig into how the Source content is captured, edited and distributed - there are other areas I would worry about before I get hung up on HD vs. faux 4K vs. 4K.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom