1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubling up CDWOW discount links and vouchers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by yeah_baby, May 7, 2005.

1. yeah_baby

yeah_baby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to have been several threads recently that advocate (in fact describe in detail the process of) doubling up £1 discount links with free £1 e-vouchers for CDWOW in order to reduce the cost of an item by £2. However as far as I can tell this is against CDWOW's T&Cs. Am I the only one who feels this is wrong? That it's akin to stealing? And as such doesn't really qualify as a "DVD Bargain"?

Here's one way of looking at it. Using both a link and a voucher saves £2 but only the second pound really breaks any rules, so lets say this process illegally saves us £1. So can someone explain why doing this is NOT the same as walking into WHSmiths on the high street, buying a DVD/CD/book or whatever, and then on the way out stuffing 2 or 3 chocolate bars in your pocket just because you don't think you'll be found out?

Another way of seeing it is to think about using this method more than once. Say for argument's sake you only ever buy items that cost £6.99 through a discount link on CDWOW. Then if you buy seven items over a period of time, taking an extra £1 each time using a voucher, then you have saved yourself enough to buy another item, effectively getting it for free. So how is this different from going into your local HMV or Virgin, buying several DVDs and then helping yourself to another one for nothing?

The prices offered by CDWOW are often incredibly cheap compared with elsewhere, especially when using a discount link. I think people should be happy with these prices, not try to save themselves even more money by abusing the discounts offered. Come on guys, it's not right.

I know this post could receive several unfriendly replies, but I want to hear them if they justify the use of both discounts. Also, if you agree with me, please post! What do people think?

So, that's where I stand. Any opinions?

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    cd-wow have the right and ability to cancel orders that use a discount link and voucher together. i've done this countless times and they've never cancelled one. I've probably spent more money at cd-wow than the average person, so despite my using multiple discounts, they're still making plenty of profit off me, so my conscience is clear.

oh and cd-wow don't pay for the vouchers and links, the affiliates do, so if you're ripping off anyone, it's pepsi or whoever sponsors the affiliate link/voucher, not cd-wow.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    Moved to DVD supplier forum.

The DVD bargains forum is for posting great offers and bargains on DVDs you have found, this thread is more of a discussion on CD-wow.

Also I can see there being several different views on this thread, so please keep it friendly.

Thanks
    Greg

4. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    To describe the miss use of discount links/vouchers as akin to theft is a little harsh. A better analogy would be with something that is wrongly priced. A retailer would have 3 options

- Withdraw the item from sale
    - Honour the price error and fix the problem
    - Ignore it and do nothing

CD Wow seem to take the 3rd option. If they were concerned, why do they not use their T&C's to justify cancelling orders? Or even easier, make it impossible to enter a promotional code via a discount link site?

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I agree. Cd-wow know this is happening, it wouldn't be very difficult for them to make the process invalid.

6. yeah_baby

yeah_baby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, good point. So what you're saying is that by combining two methods of discount you are actually having £1 of your order payed for by each of two different companies, each of which has already agreed to cover this cost in an arrangement with CDWOW, and each of which still gains from the deal in the intended way - i.e. marketing/publicity gains.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll take back the comparison to theft (and the stealing-sweets-from-WHSmiths example etc :) ) But then why is it against the Terms and Conditions? By using both discounts I'd still have a slight sense of guilt for breaking the rules, even if no-one's really losing out.

Also the other points made were good too... although saying CDWOW could stop the orders if they wanted to is like saying WHSmith could hire a security guard to patrol their chocolate section, which they clearly don't do - they just trust people not to steal chocolate (I know I just continued an analogy I just withdrew, but I'm just using it for illustration now).

Thanks for your input guys.

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    correct, the affiliates are charged the £1.

The reason these links quite often get cancelled when someone posts them on the forum is that the affiliate doesn't want every person in the known world taking advantage, and that's the time when cd-wow starts to lose money because the affiliate pulls out of the deal.

This is why those of us who've been here a while try not to post direct links to cd-wow vouchers on the forum, preferring to post a link to a place where you can find it yourself, as the forum posts quite often appear on google when you do a search for discount vouchers, which would give the whole world a discount with the forum used as a referrer. There are a few that have been running for several months due to careful use, and others which have lasted less than a week because someone broadcast it to the world.

8. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    True enough (although my WHS does have a guard...rough area maybe ;) ). But they do spend a hell of a lot on protecting their DVD's and CD's. WHS (any retailer come to that) know full well they are going to suffer from "shrink". The challenge is to spend enough on protecting the high value product whilst maintaining profit margins. You need to loose a lot of Mars bars to cover the cost of even one DVD.

Perhaps this is how CD Wow see things - that the relativley limited abuse is worth it for the extra custom/good will/word of mouth praise. Just looking back at recent posts in the Bargain section will show people who have not got the full £2 off and still purchased.

9. venablesphil

venablesphil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree that if CD Wow wanted to stop us using the dicount links and vouchers together they would. True it does break there T&C's but they have the power to stop it if they wanted to, after all the orders must be seen by several people before it is shipped.

Therefore, they allow us to do it, because it encourages us to buy from them, I for one always check the price of a DVD on Cd Wow first because they are so damn cheap and I knoe that I can get a couple of quid off, by letting us have a bragain, they are getting what any good business wants, loyalty. The people on this forum are worth a fortune to CD Wow because we go back again and again and again (I could do this forever, but you get the point!) because we know that we can get a good price.

SO THREE CHEERS FOR CD WOW!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: