1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubled my picture quality from Sky+/DVD to PD50!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by iaTa, Mar 20, 2005.

1. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was quite disappointed with the picture quality on my PD50 from both Sky+ and my DVD player running through RGB scart connections. My Sky+ actually looked better set to PAL rather than RGB. Yesterday i received my Denon AVR-3805 so I decided to use the video up-conversion and run Sky and DVD through s-video connections to the Denon and then from the Denon to the TV using component. The difference in picture quality was incredible. The TV wasn't using progressive properly through the scarts but with component connection it does. My PD30 that I still have shows exactly the same results.

If you haven't got an amp which does video up-conversion I would assume a JS Tech RGB to component converter would do a similar, if not better job (RGB is a higher quality source than s-video isn't it?). I knew the PD50 wasn't supposed to be that hot at RGB and preferred component but I didn't realise the difference would be this great! I recommend it for all that own PD30/PD50s

:clap:

2. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ben

found your thread!

Not sure if my Sony AV amp has the video up-conversion you mention but did wonder if you could get a connector "scart-to-component" lead and would this be a reasonable compromise. I not sure how you would sort out the sound issue.

jr

3. iaTa

iaTa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi John,

You would have to buy a converter box. The best you can buy picture quality wise is this:

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=36&osCsid=122cc2a399c2e6f28d228523dba27da7

You would then have to run sound through your amp from the optical or RCA outputs on your sky box.

Is anyone else already doing this with a JS Tech box?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    RGB and Component are different signal types and not just different shaped connectors. As benjones says you need to have a converter box and the JS one is very highly rated by many people on this forum.

John Read - would need to check your AVR manual to see if it does up-conversion as you didnt give a model number. There is very little difference between s-video and RGB and therefore I would only consider investing in the JS box if either

a) your amp doesnt do up conversion

b) your source (DVD player, Sky box etc) doesnt support s.video (remember that s.video is also a signal type and so just buying an scart->s.video cable wont work unless the socket supports s.video)