double up front channels on an amp? (7.1 to 5.1)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by superbiscuit, Feb 27, 2005.

1. superbiscuit

superbiscuit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got a Kenwood KRF-X9080 (Yamaha RXV1400 equivalent) which has a 7 channel amplifier. One of the reasons that i got a 7 channel amplifier was because the set up is going to be used for the university film society in a room with up to 50 people (i know this is beginning to sound absurd, but try and stick this one out) and i thought that an extra two powered channels would be a great idea since we could have more speakers in the room.

anyway, little did i know about how rarely the surround back channels are actually used. what i'm thinking now, is can we double up the front channels using the 6th and 7th amplified channels to create a second front left and front right pair?

let's talk practicalities.
    an example of how you might do this would be to wire the pre-amp front l/r output from the reciever into the surround back l/r inputs on the reciever. Then attach a set of speakers to the surround back l/r speaker level outputs and position these speakers as you would front speakers along with the speakers attached to the front l/r speaker level outputs on the amp.

>>>THEREFORE doubling up your front channels at the expense of your two surround back speakers.

now let's see if i blow up my amp. anybody tried this before or have any details which might affect the system such as phase lag problems?

bon bosh
    elliot

2. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elliott,

Do you have an option for 7 channel stereo similar to the Denon units? All 7 channels will play at comparable levels. That way you are not messing with ohm loads and burning up your amps.

3. superbiscuit

superbiscuit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the stereo option only plays out of sub, fl, fr.
    i dont understand how putting normal impedance (but big) speakers on the surround rears could cause a problem with blowing the amp.

4. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will work no problem if you are using 6 channel phono to feed your 5.1 source into the amp rather than a digital(/optical) cable. If you are using a digital input then the amp is almost certainly going to ignore the signal going into the surround back inputs.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think some denons can do this so you can bi-wire your fronts, although adding a second pair is just as feasable. My yamaha amps on the other hand will only 'listen' to the external inputs if I have multi-channel input mode on. I think the latter is most likely, so you can't run a second pair as you plannned. You could buy a stero amp and use that to power a seond pair of fronts though, just connecting up the pre-outs from the kenwood up to the amp.

Also i think that cinemas have multiple pairs of effects speakers at there sides i.e. surround left and right, and a single pair of surround backs. So if you wanned to replicate the cinema look you could power an additional set of rear left/right and put them on the sides alothu is rapidly getting :offtopic: