Double Speed..and Double the wait.

smackos

Anyone else checked their supposed Broadband Double Speed upgrade date recently. Ours just went from saying "July Onwards" to "December through till MAY 2013".

I realise "Onwards" means they were giving themselves a get out clause, but I presumed the word "July" at least put it in a July/August/September ball park. Talk about getting your hopes up.

tredman

Distinguished Member
Just checked mine and its gone from October to march to August 2013!

Not to bothered tbh 30meg is more than enough for me

charlie0166

had mine done a few weeks ago, and now getting over 60mbps - nice. Still no one could tell me why some places could have the new modem sent out, and others needed to have it fitted...

Rob_Col

Standard Member
Our was October 2012.

Now it's "between March 2013 and August 2013" bah! (although 30 meg suits us fine)

lolvirgin

dante01

Distinguished Member
Our was October 2012.

Now it's "between March 2013 and August 2013" bah! (although 30 meg suits us fine)

lolvirgin

Meanwhile you're paying twice as much for your broadband as those that have had the upgrade.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Our was October 2012.

lolvirgin

Same here !

Damn you VM !:mad:

smackos

dante01 said:
Meanwhile you're paying twice as much for your broadband as those that have had the upgrade.

Not forgetting those of us base virgin broadband users that are still on 10mb, even after the upgrade it'll only be 20mb. Ironically we rely on broadband more than most since its our only tv.. But because even throttled we get enough bandwidth for tv streaming, we've not been fussed about going to a higher tier. Still was getting used to the idea of the giddy heights of 20mb lol.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not forgetting those of us base virgin broadband users that are still on 10mb, even after the upgrade it'll only be 20mb. Ironically we rely on broadband more than most since its our only tv.. But because even throttled we get enough bandwidth for tv streaming, we've not been fussed about going to a higher tier. Still was getting used to the idea of the giddy heights of 20mb lol.

You'll actually get 30Mb and not 20Mb ;)

smackos

dante01 said:
You'll actually get 30Mb and not 20Mb ;)

Not as far as I know mate.. I've been checking that blasted double speed site for months and it tells you specifically what you'll be getting. Virgin actually had 2 separate tiers for 10mb before. The upper being moved in the last re-shuffle to 20mb already and the lower 10mb staying as it was till now.. And that's where ours comes in. I hope your right though and the virgin site is wrong.

EDIT: Afraid not.. Taken from bbc on the original announcement from Virgin Media.

"Virgin Media's upgrade will mean customers currently signed up for 10Mbps will be boosted to 20Mbps, while users on 20Mbps and 30Mbps packages will both be upped to 60Mbps.

Those on 50Mbps will be increased to 100Mbps. Customers already on the top 100Mbps tariff will be raised to 120Mbps - the fastest speed Virgin Media is currently able to provide.

The company said bandwidth usage limits will also be doubled to accommodate the increased speed."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16491614

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not as far as I know mate.. I've been checking that blasted double speed site for months and it tells you specifically what you'll be getting. Virgin actually had 2 separate tiers for 10mb before. The upper being moved in the last re-shuffle to 20mb already and the lower 10mb staying as it was till now.. And that's where ours comes in. I hope your right though and the virgin site is wrong.

EDIT: Afraid not.. Taken from bbc on the original announcement from Virgin Media.

"Virgin Media's upgrade will mean customers currently signed up for 10Mbps will be boosted to 20Mbps, while users on 20Mbps and 30Mbps packages will both be upped to 60Mbps.

Those on 50Mbps will be increased to 100Mbps. Customers already on the top 100Mbps tariff will be raised to 120Mbps - the fastest speed Virgin Media is currently able to provide.

The company said bandwidth usage limits will also be doubled to accommodate the increased speed."

BBC News - Virgin Media to double the speed of customer broadband

You're right. I thought for some reason that VM were doing away with anything below 30Mb. I think this assumption may have been due to their previous free 10 to 30Mb offer (one off £30 payment). Virgin also no longer sell a package with less than 30Mb.

Last edited:

smackos

dante01 said:
You're right. I thought for some reason that VM were doing away with anything below 30Mb. I think this assumption may have been due to their previous free 10 to 30Mb offer (one off £30 payment). Virgin also no longer sell a package with less than 30Mb.

Yep that's correct, it does seem silly that right now, you cannot subscribe to anything less than 30mb whilst there are current subscribers, being upgraded to LESS than that in up to a years time. Daft.

markymark34

mine has gone from june to august now to 2013. seriously what was the point in all the tv coverage of this about 4 months ago?

Just to really annoy me im down from 20mb to about 8 at the minute, another call to VM. brilliant.

smackos

markymark34 said:
mine has gone from june to august now to 2013. seriously what was the point in all the tv coverage of this about 4 months ago?

Just to really annoy me im down from 20mb to about 8 at the minute, another call to VM. brilliant.

Yes I know exactly what you mean, you'd almost have been more grateful for them to keep us all as we are then drop the bomb on us a month beforehand. I'd have preferred that to all this waiting around with it up in the air. Now I'm stuck as whether to bother upgrading package or still hold out for the "free" one or not.

sophies hero

charlie0166 said:
had mine done a few weeks ago, and now getting over 60mbps - nice. Still no one could tell me why some places could have the new modem sent out, and others needed to have it fitted...

I spoke to them about this last week. Id had mine taken back down to 30 & was going to go back to 60/100 for a while. 60 was an almost instant upgrade and 100 meant a visit and a fee. Its apparently due to the street cabinets & equipment only having a certain tolerence they can work. 100meg needs cab adjustments specific to that service and ppl going on to there new 'superhub' are moved over to there new docsis 3 network. Thats just what i was told over the phone though.

mike7

Distinguished Member
I understand how frustrating it is to wait. However, I decided that my deal with Virgin was poor value compared with their new 'Collections'. A quick phonecall and I was able to change my contract. I now get the same TV services, free weekend calls on the phone, a 500gB tivo box* (and able to run my old V+ upstairs at no extra fee) and my broadband went from 10Mg to ( a constant) 60Mg. As a long standing customer I was not charged any installation fees and Virgin Media are better off by about £2 a month! Of course you won't get the introductory price reduction for 3 months as an existing customer.

* I see the latest offer with this collection includes a 1Tb Tivo box, even better value but you may have to pay an installation charge. I never use more than 25% capacity on mine, so it's enough for me.

Last edited:

martind

Ive just spoken to retentions and have managed to get my BB increased from 30meg to 60meg (was due for the double up Dec0212 to March2013) plus changing one of our V+ boxes to a tivo - all this whilst bringing the base price of our contract down by £3 per month. No installation charges either.

12 month contract.

The girl on the phone was a pleasure to deal with too, very polite!!

:smashin:

IanW1977

Since about Jan when I upgraded to Superhub with the info on it going to 60mb by July 2012 I have checked the website to see if it's still July 2012.

Conicidently though I had a call from VM last week offering me a free upgrade to 60mb BB from 30mb and Tivo and a V+ box for extra cost. I checked the speed doubling date and it's now Dec 2012 - Mar 2013.

So for 3 months I'll pay £4.60 a month extra for Tivo, V+ Box and the XL Package and 60mb BB over 30mb BB. Then after 3 months it'll cost me an extra £24.60 which bearing in mind I pay for Sky £34 which is going up to around £35 is fair enough I'll say.

Plus I get to keep my 2 Sky HD boxes to use as Freesat with the free HD Channels.

Last edited:

IanW1977

So now we have 60mb what happens when they do double the speed next year ?!

IanW1977

Even though I'm now on a new 12 month contract with 60mb bb ?

smackos

IanW1977 said:
Even though I'm now on a new 12 month contract with 60mb bb ?

The "double speed" is aimed at current customers. New customers are already put on the NEW speed bands current customers are only just moving up to..30mb, 60mb or 120mb.

IanW1977

Oh right cool

neilalford

My estimated broadband upgrade from 30 to 60 got pushed back from "July onwards" till sometime next year, but I've just phoned up VM and switched to the Premiere collection (already have a 1TB TiVo, but it means an extra V HD box and a saving of £4.50 a month), so does that mean I'll get the upgrade to 60mb as part of the switch to the new package or will I still have to wait. Forgot to ask on the phone!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022