1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Sided Ram Noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gordon WT, May 15, 2003.

1. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I ordered a double sided Panasonic Ram disc from Unbeatable before Christmas. At that time I thought you could record 4 hours without turning the disc over. I was wrong.........time passed and the disc never arrived and as my debit card wasn't charged I forgot about it and thought that Unbeatable had lost my order.

It turned up a couple of days ago!!

I noticed something odd as soon as I put it into my E30.......there was a strong vibration from the machine that I had never felt before....and then a humming sound. It recorded OK but the vibration and the noise was very off-putting.

Has anybody else bought a double sided Ram disc, and if so, have you noticed this annoying effect?

Gordon
    :confused:

2. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have used Mirror double sided cartridge disks in my E50 with no noticeable additional noise. Could be a duff disk. Try another and see if there is any change. Sometimes certain disks can make more noise in my experience

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used TDK double sided and there's no difference in use to single sided disks.

It looks like youve got a duff one!

DaveP

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Must be out of balance, dont use it as it will damage your machine. Return for exchange.

All my single and double siided ram are silent in operation

5. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I contacted Unbeatable and they arranged pick-up of the faulty disc and replaced it with a new one........that has exactly the same problem :(

I tried it without the caddy but it still vibrates worryingly........none of my normal single-sided discs make that noise.

I suppose I should just tell them I want my money back and forget about using 2-sided Ram discs, they're a bit of a waste of time anyway!

GT

6. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ve used TDK double sided Ram, and Maxell single sided ram in My panasonic E 50 recorder
    And my machine makes a slight noise with them, Not really loud. sounds like a fan or something, but it records and plays them with no problems.

7. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know it's a slightly different problem but my hitachi DVD-CAM done the same with dvd-ram disc and i had to get a new dvd drive fitted(under warranty).Funny thing is if i pointed the cam up to the sky first it would work,your drive might be out of alignment.