Double set of speakers set up

ricmat

Standard Member
Hi all,

Currently looking for a full new stereo set up. Was initially debating between floor standing speakers, but given I still have young kids at home and that they are a treat, can only realistically set up a system in my office, where I can keep it shut to protect all equipment - that (room size, room layout, etc) means I can possibly only go for standmounters.

Based on around-me advice was considering going for the 805D4, but after having read all on B&Ws, seen the latest non-linear response measurements, etc - feeling less and less I should consider them at all, even though they are still on my list.

I listen mostly to classical, some rock and female vocals. so, after reading much about tonal balances, etc. I started wondering - why dont I go for a double set up of standmounters that complement in different ways and that I can experience depending on what music i´m listening too.

My limitation is that I would only be able to affoard a single pre-amp and amp set up - so the amp would need to have 2x outs (set up A and set up B) so i´m not always exchanging connections.

As for speakers I was thinking a combination of 2 between the following list:
  • ProAc Response D2R
  • ProAc Response K1
  • Focal Sopra 1
  • Fyne Audio F1.5
  • Sonus Faber Olimpica Nova I
  • Kef Reference 1
  • Marten Oscar Duo
  • Magico A1
  • Audiovector R1 Arrete
  • B&W 805D4

So - seeking your advice. What are your thoughts? if you could pick two from the above in a way that you could get the best and interchange between the two which ones would you pick / recommend picking?
(also, if thoughts on the pre-amp/amp set up to use in such a way, most welcome)

Regards

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
IMO I would put the approx. £4K for the second set of speaker into the next level up speakers and a better amp. If you have £8k for speakers you are likely to need £4-8k of amp to drive them and another load of cash for the source. That adds up to a £15-20k set up. With that amount I would get out to a few dealers, listen to as many amp/speaker combos as you can and then pick two or three to demo at home.

Also, classical and female vocals tend to need a similar speaker character with clear and realist mids, not too sharp highs and a tight but dynamic bass. This would also do for rock but this tends to need larger woofer surface area to get that live electric guitar sound.

The other thought is to look at something like the Lyngdorf TDAI3400 which has a DSP that you can have several presets for different genres of music from fully flat to tilted down to smiley face. Add a sub woofer or two into the mix and you can cover all of the bases with one setup.

Just my 2p worth.

ricmat

Standard Member
IMO I would put the approx. £4K for the second set of speaker into the next level up speakers and a better amp. If you have £8k for speakers you are likely to need £4-8k of amp to drive them and another load of cash for the source. That adds up to a £15-20k set up. With that amount I would get out to a few dealers, listen to as many amp/speaker combos as you can and then pick two or three to demo at home.

Also, classical and female vocals tend to need a similar speaker character with clear and realist mids, not too sharp highs and a tight but dynamic bass. This would also do for rock but this tends to need larger woofer surface area to get that live electric guitar sound.

The other thought is to look at something like the Lyngdorf TDAI3400 which has a DSP that you can have several presets for different genres of music from fully flat to tilted down to smiley face. Add a sub woofer or two into the mix and you can cover all of the bases with one setup.

Just my 2p worth.
Thank you Ugg10

I did think about that, but my questions were more around - do I really gain much from just having an amazing set of speakers or do I get most from having 2 sets of different speakers that could compliment themselves depending on mood, etc.

I could potentially pick a solid pre-amp to feed two decent amps, one for each set. but all this would be for my home office, so I wouldnt want to just pile up multiple stacks of gear, etc - if that makes sense

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I think a single good set of speakers is all you need. At this price point most speakers will be good with most types of music, it is then down to what you like to hear and can listen to everyday and all day.

A alternative is to get a good preamp and add a pair of active speakers.

The Dynaudio Core 59 (£4500-5000 per pair) are a large three way speaker with 9”, 5” and 1” drivers and a built in 1150w of power. These also have a number of setting to adjust the sound to your ears and your room.

Add you choice of preamp, maybe a tube Rogue Audio RP1 (you can have hours of fun rolling tubes to find your right sound) or a streaming preamp like the Nad C658 or go passive preamp for the cleanest sound. Have a listen to a few and see which you like.

acgingersnaps

gava

You shouldn't need two pairs of speakers, get one perfect setup and use DSP for different purposes if you really think you need to create different sounds.

With your budget there is something else you need to add to the list:

Either a pair of the 8361 or the 8351 & woofer combo. No need for an amplifier, just a good source and pre-amp. And of course the Genelec DSP system.

And the 8351 & woofer combo is probably as good or better, though in any reasonably sized room a pair of the 8361 will likely be amazing. The only thing that is not perfect about them is that they are not as pretty as most high-end speakers.

Last edited:

FRFT

I wouldn't even bother getting such expensive speakers in what sounds like a compromised setup.

Where are the speakers going, how big is the room? If they're just slapped on your desk and you're sitting 2' away in a small untreated room, you're not going to get any benefit over a much cheaper speaker.

What speakers do you have now?

ricmat

Standard Member
thank you guys - different suggestions here I admitedly had not thought about (including the Kudos titans and the active set up suggestion)
have been reading more on them

ricmat

Standard Member
I wouldn't even bother getting such expensive speakers in what sounds like a compromised setup.

Where are the speakers going, how big is the room? If they're just slapped on your desk and you're sitting 2' away in a small untreated room, you're not going to get any benefit over a much cheaper speaker.

What speakers do you have now?
i hear your point.

they would be for a new room i´m setting up now, so will be brand new
it´s a 270sqf/25sqm office. speakers would be 2.5-3m away from me, but possibly only 20-30cm away from the back wall and placed on a cabinet (type of a credenza or so).

acgingersnaps

i hear your point.

they would be for a new room i´m setting up now, so will be brand new
it´s a 270sqf/25sqm office. speakers would be 2.5-3m away from me, but possibly only 20-30cm away from the back wall and placed on a cabinet (type of a credenza or so).
Have you thought about going fully Lyngdorf? Ideal if you can't optimise speaker position and/or have room issues. Their full range speakers can be wall mounted and their subs will be in the corner. Amp + 2 FR speakers + 2 BW would be in budget.
Even if you just get 2 stereo speakers of your own choice, the Lyngdorf would mean you cpuld push them back against the wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom