double mattress for under £300

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the time has come to replace our mattress - had it about 16 months now, and it wasn't the greatest when we got it and it now just feels a bit, well, uncomfortable :laugh:

the bed and mattress only cost £205, so gives some indication to the quality of the mattress.

i know you get what you pay for, and i really do wish i could afford one of the uber amazing £2,000 jobbies, but i can't - so the budget is about £300.

any suggestions? i used to sleep on this amazing orthopaedic single mattress at my parents, so maybe something like that?

anywhere people would suggest to buy from or to stay away from?

We've had a - Myers Ortho Firm Mattress - for a year or just over and can not find any faults with it.
It suited us both (and our requirements are no where near the same) and was bought at a small local indi retailer. 10 - 10 from us on comfort and price.

we have a Dreams not far from us, so may pop in there and there are a couple of local indies as well which might be worth going to.

looks good - how firm is the mattress? we need something quite supportive ideally.

whats the deal with delivery?

it gives one price for the 12" at £80 and then you select the 48hr delivery and it shoots up to £165.
is free delivery not an option, where it takes slightly longer?

£79.98 is for the single mattress 6" delivered, the price goes up with size and thickness, but it doesn't update the price until you have ticked all the options. So it appeared to increase when you ticked the delivery but that was because it was the last box, if you fill the boxes from bottom to top the same thing happens.

It looks like you went for a double 12" which is £164.98 delivered :thumbsup:

there are three different delivery options but they are linked to the size of the mattress, smaller ones are 24hr, larger ones 48 hr and the superking 72hr delivery

Last edited:
Have a look at Mattressman but as they have no stores in Kent you'll need to find somewhere else to try. You really do need to try in person rather than rely on someone else's recommendation.

Beware of the likes of Argos as they have deals in place with manufacturers to sell unique products that you can't buy/compare elsewhere. This gives them the leeway to set ludicrously high supposed retail prices to then give equally ludicrous supposed discounts.

I have a soft mattress that saggs.Bought a memory foam topper and it's like a whole new mattress.Feels very firm and holds my 20 stone no problem :thumbsup:

i have been recommended a "relaxan water latex" mattress - rrp of £399. bit more than i hoped to spend but apparently is amazing. going to try it after work.

I bought a mattress recently from Dreams. I can't remember which one it was but it was a double, cost about £180 and they let you bounce on it first etc. Bought it and took it from the store the same day.

how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Can't remember the exact amount because we were buying a bed and bedroom furniture as well and getting some good discounts. I'm sure that it was well below £200 though.

It suited me and the GF perfectly and was one we both agreed on, which was something we could not do at one of the large chains and on ones costing up to 4 x what we paid in the end.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
We bought a John Lewis own brand one, and it's been fantastic. It was about £300 if I remember rightly. I think they have a couple at that price, one pocket sprung.

i have been recommended a "relaxan water latex" mattress - rrp of £399. bit more than i hoped to spend but apparently is amazing. going to try it after work.

How did you get on with this?

I am thinking of getting one myself.

i got both my last 2 beds cheap as they were ex-display

our current one (super kingsize one) was £5k down to £1600! its also firmer one one half and softer on the other side.

one before was a £1k bed down to £300!

well worth asking at bed shops.

How did you get on with this?

I am thinking of getting one myself.

was nice, but couldn't quite test it properly in the shop (i never feel right laying on the bed and rolling about etc when someone is just stood there watching you).

it felt nice and firm though, no springs, and had a summer and winter side.

however, £399 was too much at the moment, so my parents treated us to a memory foam mattress topper which instantly cuts out the spring pain from our knackered mattress - think they got it from Argos and feels very nice.

was nice, but couldn't quite test it properly in the shop (i never feel right laying on the bed and rolling about etc when someone is just stood there watching you).

it felt nice and firm though, no springs, and had a summer and winter side.

however, £399 was too much at the moment, so my parents treated us to a memory foam mattress topper which instantly cuts out the spring pain from our knackered mattress - think they got it from Argos and feels very nice.

Thanks, aren't parents great :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom