Double help (signal and sky+)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by [RwS]Skirge, Mar 23, 2005.

1. [RwS]Skirge

[RwS]Skirge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lads n lasses.
    Is there such a thing a sky tv signal booster,? if I do a signal test on the sky box I only get half signal and half quality. This has not botherd me before but I have just bought a Sony KF42SX300U and my sky pic is a tiny bit blocky, awsome on DVD though.
    Abd I also would like to know about sky +, I have a sherwood AV reciever 6.1 and I see that sky +9 transmit a 5.1 signal on some programs and movies.
    Can I just get a sky + box and use it without having to sign upto the service, or will I have to sign up to get the 5.1 signal?
    many thanks..............Skirge

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you want to increase the received signal from satellite the best idea is to check the alignment and positioning of the dish and LNB, check the cable connections and the quality of the cable. Any weakness in any of these results in a reduction in reception and signal quality however a digital signal can retain it's integrity to quite a high degree and there is no guarantee you will see any marked difference if you can boost the readings by a significant percentage.

What you are more likely to be seeing on the new TV is the basic problem on all digital broadcasts of over compression (to save money) which is more obvious on larger displays with digital processing. DVD's which are mastered to get the best possible picture quality can be scaled up for larger displays with little or no penalty in perceived image quality.
    Some broadcasters/channels are far better than others but that's what you get with a system that has no regulation in regards to picture quality:(

SKY+ does indeed allow you to listen to DD audio if you don't subscribe to the actual service. However the only DD audio is on SKY movies (1,2 and 3) and Disney so if you subscribe to all of those channels then the SKY+ fee is waived anyway:)

3. [RwS]Skirge

[RwS]Skirge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many many thanks m8
    All a great help, we ahve just moved the sky install is only 1 week onld so dish and LNB should be fine. I see what you are saying about the compression, tight arsed bskyb :(.
    I am on full package sky and yup to subscribe is free but I do not really want the record feature, I use DVD recoder for the very few things I record off TV. Its just the DD I was wanting.
    Once again many thanks for the help :D

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Personally I don't think there is anything on the Dsat market that competes with the ease of use of SKY+ (Integrated EPG, record and watch different channels) combined with it's perfect recording of the broadcast. An DVD recorder just doesn't compare for day to day use unless of course you are archeiving material:)

Nothing stopping you from getting a box off ebay though and just using it as a standard digibox (no autoview option) with a single LNB feed but of course unless you have the very latest DVD recorder technology you can not record DD5.1 audio:(

5. [RwS]Skirge

[RwS]Skirge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the DD that has got me wanting sky+ as I say I do not really record much stuff, only really top gear which I am keeping so yeah DVD recorder better for that, and nope I cannot record in 5.1.
    But I did not relise that sky + only transmited DD on only a few chasnnels.
    Will stick to listening in neo 6 for now :D