Question Double garage conversion in to multipurpose cinema/living space... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Yegap, May 20, 2018.

1. Yegap

Yegap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

We're converting the garage in to a multi purpose room which will basically be a TV room and space to relax away from the main house. I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum but the idea of using the space as a cinema room is quite appealing. However, as you will see from the drawings, the room's proportions do not lend themselves exactly ideal for this (as far as I'm aware).

I've attached the architects sketch along with a rough interpretation without measurements of what we were thinking of doing. See below:

View attachment 1019120

With ideas:
    View attachment 1019121

As you are going to be able to tell from the rest of this post, I'm not the most literate with AV but I'm keen to learn about it.

I'm coming to this forum because I have been looking through completed member builds in the last couple of weeks and it has opened my eyes up to loads of things that I had not even thought about doing before, for example -

- In wall speakers
    - RGB lighting
    - Being able to control all devices from lights to TV through 1 app/remote
    - Using a projector instead of a TV

As you will see from the drawings, the space is quite large and we'd also like to use it for a bar and 'study' if possible, whilst keeping it open plan. I did consider partitioning off a specific section for a home cinema room that would be the ideal proportions however I fear this would get in the way of the bifold doors, and the room would be much more versatile being open plan.

My specific questions would be:
    1. Am I missing any tech?
    2. Could in wall speakers work? The discreet look is very appealing - I saw a user built with Kef in wall speakers and it looked the nuts but the set up with meticulous and the room was a completely different shape.
    3. Any recommendations on equipment? This is what I am currently looking in to but the most important thing to me right now is figuring out a plan of where to place things and the associated cabling in order to make it clean.

Points to note:
    1. The ceiling is flat, 2300mm from the floor.
    2. The partition walling show is unlikely to change position due to SWMBO requirements...
    3. Toilet is already in position. I suppose this could change but the costs involved would make it very unfavourable.
    4. There is Cat6 already provided to the garage which can be routed round to wherever the receiver/projector/anything else is.
    5. The budget could vary but I have a feeling it will need to be extended to get what I'm hoping for. Maybe £5-10k to put an actual tangible number to it.

I welcome any and all thoughts as to whether there is any other things we could do to the room/placement of items. I realise the question is quite broad at the moment but I'm interested to know what the internet would do if it were their project.

Thank you to any replies in advance, any questions please ask.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    So in wall speakers can be only front three...? Surrounds next to sofa means that cable comes inside the floor and speakers aren't movable.
    In wall speakers will work, no problem but later changes/upgrades are very difficult.
    I would put backup surround speakers cable inside back wall too, if you don't like speakers middle of the room, then you can change.

Plus with your budget I would do Dolby Atmos and put some speakers in ceiling too.

3. Yegap

Yegap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers for reply. Yeah it would seem only possible for front speakers to be in wall. Good shout on the extra speaker cabling. But your comments on portability are true. I might look in to some wall mounted speakers instead

The two rear speakers would have to be cabled under the floor as you say unless they could be placed on the far walls, i.e right side on the right partition and the left side somewhere near the bar area. I thought this would be a bit far away but it might be worth looking in to.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,193
    We completed something very similar at the start of the Year - had to be multi- purpose and work to a ‘tight’ budget.

For Surrounds I would go In-Ceiling for your room.

Must get some new pics now that it is completed.

The Media Factory

Joe

5. Yegap

Yegap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Joe. Please do post more pictures if you have them?

Any recommendations on speakers all? I hadn't considered using in ceiling surrounds. What about atmos speakers as well?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,193
    Pics - will hopefully be back onsite late next week.

Atmos - ideally you go with In-wall for the Surround layer otherwise there is little or no separation between the Surround and Height Channels.

Joe

7. Yegap

Yegap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok so update and advice needed for anyone still reading.

I have a kit list in mind as follows:

Dali Opticon 6 - £1,200
    Dali Opticon Vokal - £430
    Dali Phantom E60 - £340 (for in ceiling surrounds as suggested)

AVR - Denon X3400H - £550
    Turntable - Project Debut Carbon DC - £350

So all in all looks to be coming out to about £2,900 ish with cables. I was hoping to get this to around £2,500 by either waiting for some deals or picking up some B-stock/used offerings, to leave about £2.5k for the TV.

Few things:

- I want to use this set up for music as much so as watching TV/movies. Am I OK with just getting the Denon AVR above for now or am I better off just getting a 5.1 AVR and saving some budget for a dedicated amplifier, given I'm unlikely to ever branch out beyond 5.1 in this room?

- Any other speaker / AVR / amp alternatives I should be looking at at this sort of price? I plan to go and get a demo at some point in the near future but would like to be armed with an idea of what I want so as not to piss the salesperson around...

- The surround in ceiling speakers - how far apart should they be spaced? Is there anything else to bare in mind? The FCR speakers I should be fine with placement of following various online guides.

Cheers

8. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Just come across your thread. Please let me know if you require any further advice. The Dali loudspeakers are great. If you still want to go in wall Dali have a very good range of in wall loudspeakers as do MK, KEF, Paradigm, Origin, Definitive Technology to name but a few. We are also just about to 2nd fix a KEF 5.2 in wall Ci5160RL media room and happy to post pictures.

Regards

[email protected]