Double check your cancellation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot6y

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, I've cancelled my sky last Friday as I was offered 30% off package with sky q for 220 pounds.

Decided to cancel on the spot, however I've had a phone call today from sky about a technical glitch I had on the website a while back.
Guess what my sky has not been cancelled at all
So anyone cancelling it may be an idea to confirm a few days later that the cancellation process is going ahead

I cancelled on Sunday, 17th sept, but when I checked via the app messenger, the cancellation has not been activated. Seems like they are doing everything in their power to keep customers!! I am not happy as I spent the best part of an hour trying to cancel :-(

Oh, my SKY cancellation story's a beaut...
A long time ago, in a customer service galaxy far, far away (well, about six years actually),
after they put the full package price up to £64 a mth, I decided to cancel it.

After 4 mths I noticed something screwy going on with my bank account and after looking into it, I found out that SKY had cancelled my account, or in this case, $KY had cancelled my account, but were still taking the then £10 a mth charge for the HD. So I rang them up.

Me - "Hi, I've cancelled my SKY TV service but your still taking the HD charge out of my account."
SKY - "Yes, thats right"
Me - "Why?"
SKY - "Because you haven't yet completed your 12 mth term for it."
Me - "But I no longer have the service, so your charging me for a HD service I no longer use."
SKY - "Sorry about that, but you have to complete your 12 mth term."
Me - "I'm not happy about that and want to make a complaint."
SKY - "Yeah, right..."
CLICK!... dhunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn........

It took me 4 mths and 4 advisers putting the phone down on me to get my money back.
And in todays Galaxy today, they are under investigation for poor practices again. Or to be more accurate, two. Beyond poor.

Oh, my SKY cancellation story's a beaut...
A long time ago, in a customer service galaxy far, far away (well, about six years actually),
after they put the full package price up to £64 a mth, I decided to cancel it.

After 4 mths I noticed something screwy going on with my bank account and after looking into it, I found out that SKY had cancelled my account, or in this case, $KY had cancelled my account, but were still taking the then £10 a mth charge for the HD. So I rang them up.

Me - "Hi, I've cancelled my SKY TV service but your still taking the HD charge out of my account."
SKY - "Yes, thats right"
Me - "Why?"
SKY - "Because you haven't yet completed your 12 mth term for it."
Me - "But I no longer have the service, so your charging me for a HD service I no longer use."
SKY - "Sorry about that, but you have to complete your 12 mth term."
Me - "I'm not happy about that and want to make a complaint."
SKY - "Yeah, right..."
CLICK!... dhunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn........

It took me 4 mths and 4 advisers putting the phone down on me to get my money back.
And in todays Galaxy today, they are under investigation for poor practices again. Or to be more accurate, two. Beyond poor.

Were you still In contract for the HD pack tho ?

Sky said he was.

Hi wookie13. Yes I was and no they didn't. They finally realised that too and refunded every penny. BT were recently under OFCOM investigation for this kind of practice (where you can cancel one but not the other) but BT didn't let it go that far and just decided to go with what OFCOM wanted and now allow same date multipack cancellation of all ones services.

SKY still continue this under-hand practice and are currently also under OFCOM investigation for both it and its alleged unfair ETC (early termination charges) T&Cs. Which both are.

SKY still continue this under-hand practice and are currently also under OFCOM investigation for both it and its alleged unfair ETC (early termination charges) T&Cs. Which both are.

So you don't believe in the nature/right of ETC or is it a certain part of their T&Cs only ?

Well if OFCOM are 'looking at it', they obviously think that they are suspect practices.

Thats not the full story though is it? Because SKY were contravening the General [cancellation] Condition 9.3. And, as per your link, had to make a raft of changes to its practices -

Since the start of our investigation, Sky has made ongoing changes to its processes and procedures to facilitate an improved customer experience when customers wish to cancel their service, and which Sky has informed us are part of a programme of continuous improvement. The actions it has taken, and which we have taken into account in making our decision, include:
  • changes to its incentive scheme for advisors so that they are encouraged to recognise if a customer intends to cancel and allow those who wish to leave to do so without having a conversation about staying with Sky;
  • clarification and updating of guidance for advisors to improve the customer experience for those customers that are seeking to cancel;
  • creating a separate, dedicated and specially trained team to handle cancellation requests made by customers via email or letter;
  • providing refunds to customers who made a cancellation request by letter or email during the Relevant Period that may not have had the correct notice period applied to their request - we would encourage any former Sky customer to contact Sky on 0800 759 1703 if you made a written cancellation request and your notice period was not backdated to the date on which Sky received your letter or email; and
  • improvements to the clarity of information available to customers on its website about the different cancellation routes available and the applicable notice periods.

If the issue was as widespread as you suggest it was you'd imagine customers would be complaining in their droves to OFCOM , however evidence suggests the complete opposite with Sky being the least complained about in all areas (Pay TV , Landline and Broadband) and has been for a long while.

Let's be honest whilst OFCOM rightly investigated and forced Sky to implement changes these investigations aren't unique to Sky hence why we have OFCOM monitoring complaints to weed out these kind of problems.

Last edited:
I think the main cut and thrust of the 'investigation' were customers complaining about having to spend an inordinately long time on the phone trying to cancel, and Sky not taking 'I want to cancel' as an answer. But their ploy of not taking no for an answer seems to play into 'our' hands a bit when 'we' are after a renewal discount.

If Sky were as bad as you suggest they are you'd imagine customers would be complaining in their droves to OFCOM , however evidence suggests the complete opposite with Sky being the least complained about in all areas (Pay TV , Landline and Broadband)
Answers on a postcard for the worst ;)
That would be BT and has been for years. So that makes it OK then?

"If Sky were as bad as you suggest they are you'd imagine customers would be complaining in their droves to OFCOM." A customer can't make a complaint to OFCOM, MM.

"evidence suggests the complete opposite with Sky being the least complained about in all areas (Pay TV , Landline and Broadband)" Agreed, but as per post 1, this thread is talking about SKYs underhand cancellation practices, not its excellent services (and they are).

Who's on about services I'm on about it's complaints data as reported by OFCOM , being denied cancellation is surely a complaint.

I'll bow out now and leave it there clearly OFCOM's facts and data aren't relevant to this complaint.

Last edited:
No, MM. OFCOM. There have been no rants on this thread, only discussion. TTFN.

I wonder what percentage of Sky customers who speak to their cancellation dept, actually have the intention of going ahead and cancelling, compared to just looking for a good offer. Both sides know how to play the game now so I can't see anything changing anytime soon.

SKYs churn is running at 11.1% which is the highest its ever been, so a fair few. However, apart from a slow downgrade over the years of its HD picture quality (something the BBC is also guilty of), the service essentially remains the same.

This to me indicates its not just that people have become unhappy with SKY (or its prices), but that there is now far more alternative competition out there at far cheaper price points. And they are all internet based. Which leads on to SKY Q IP, to be launched in 2018, but very little is known about it.

Thats not the full story though is it? Because SKY were contravening the General [cancellation] Condition 9.3. And, as per your link, had to make a raft of changes to its practices -

Since the start of our investigation, Sky has made ongoing changes to its processes and procedures to facilitate an improved customer experience when customers wish to cancel their service, and which Sky has informed us are part of a programme of continuous improvement. The actions it has taken, and which we have taken into account in making our decision, include:
  • changes to its incentive scheme for advisors so that they are encouraged to recognise if a customer intends to cancel and allow those who wish to leave to do so without having a conversation about staying with Sky;
  • clarification and updating of guidance for advisors to improve the customer experience for those customers that are seeking to cancel;
  • creating a separate, dedicated and specially trained team to handle cancellation requests made by customers via email or letter;
  • providing refunds to customers who made a cancellation request by letter or email during the Relevant Period that may not have had the correct notice period applied to their request - we would encourage any former Sky customer to contact Sky on 0800 759 1703 if you made a written cancellation request and your notice period was not backdated to the date on which Sky received your letter or email; and
  • improvements to the clarity of information available to customers on its website about the different cancellation routes available and the applicable notice periods.

That doesn't change the fact that Sky aren't currently under investigation for the ETC and cancellation procedures, as you incorrectly claimed, does it. The case was closed nearly 2 months ago.

Sky's last published churn rate was 11.5% (down very slightly from January's 11.6%) - still high, but better than Virgin's 15% . Not been able to see comparable figures for BT - they only seem to publish the figures for BT Mobille.

.....procedures, as you incorrectly claimed, does it.
Hang on a cotton pickin minute. It was me, not VisionMan who incorrectly suggested that the investigation was still under way at post #9, which was immediately corrected by muppetman. No one has suggested since that the OFCOM thing is still open.

Hang on a cotton pickin minute. It was me, not VisionMan who incorrectly suggested that the investigation was still under way at post #9, which was immediately corrected by muppetman. No one has suggested since that the OFCOM thing is still open.

Read VisionMan's post #7..

"SKY still continue this under-hand practice and are currently also under OFCOM investigation for both it and its alleged unfair ETC (early termination charges) T&Cs. Which both are."

OK. rs101 - 1, TJT1 - 0:blush:
And there's me trying to take the blame.:rotfl:

@rs101 -
Your right, SKY are angels and the OP ,who I thought had a legitimate reason for posting, which in case anyone has forgotten, is about non-cancellation of a cancellation, needn't had done so. Nor did OFCOM need to open an inquiry or the press publish endless articles about it.

Getting a bit defensive around here? And sensitive. But as I said above, SKY are angels and lets leave it there. Thanks to various for taking the thread off topic though.

That doesn't change the fact that Sky aren't currently under investigation for the ETC and cancellation procedures, as you incorrectly claimed, does it. The case was closed nearly 2 months ago.

Sky's last published churn rate was 11.5% (down very slightly from January's 11.6%) - still high, but better than Virgin's 15% . Not been able to see comparable figures for BT - they only seem to publish the figures for BT Mobille.
It was however updated 9 days ago & Ofcom are still monitoring.

Update note: 20 September 2016

General Condition 9.3 (terminating a contract outside of the cooling-off period)

Following an investigation, Ofcom has provisionally determined that there are reasonable grounds for believing that Sky contravened GC9.3 of the General Conditions between 1 May 2015 and 31 July 2015 in respect of landline and broadband services. Ofcom has therefore issued a Notification to Sky under section 96A of the Communications Act 2003 (the “Act”). Sky now has an opportunity to make representations to Ofcom on the matters contained in the Notification before Ofcom makes a final decision in accordance with section 96C of the Act.

General Condition 22 (terminating a contract within the cooling-off period)

Following a thorough assessment of the evidence gathered from Sky, Ofcom has decided not to take any enforcement action in connection with Sky’s compliance with General Condition 22.

Ofcom will continue to monitor complaints against Sky in regard to terminating within the cooling off period.

End of Update note

Last edited:
It was however updated 9 days ago & Ofcom are still monitoring.
As this thread seems to have turned into a nit picking exercise, I will continue it along the same lines. So OFCOM is/was 'monitoring' at the time this thread was started, and had been for a few days then?
However, the cut and thrust of this thread since post 2 has completely missed the point of the first two posts.:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom