1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dots (defects??/quality) & 50hz vs 100hz & poss starter tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simon3d, Dec 19, 2003.

1. simon3d

simon3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dots
    ----

Having walked around several showrooms i have noticed that on the centre of the left & right edges of the main picture, there are dots. I've noticed these on philips, panasonics & toshibas, not all models; just one dot each side; but with cheaper tvs, ie grundig & thomson, there are typically around 3 extra dots each side (separated by black dots, so to speak & are very noticeable). However, so far I haven't noticed any on sonys.

When i queried a salesman about this, who hadn't even noticed these, he said that it wouldn't be classified as a defect.

So is it a manufacturing problem inherent with crts??

50 vs 100hz
    -----------

Up until yesterday, i was going to go for a 50hz, but i noticed in showrooms that flicker on 28" varied between different models of the same manufacturer.

Originally i wasn't going to go for 100hz, however, my eyes seemed to be less strained (hurting) when looking at a 100hz after looking at 50hz. Being a person who tends to be sensitive to strip lights when they start flickering which give me headaches, i'm starting to think that would happen with 50hz. Note that i was about a 1m away from tv. Whats peoples experience with this?

Possible 28" widescreens
    ------------------------

Considering i'm looking at a get me started tv (got 14") at moment. I currently considering

panasonic tx28ps1 (50hz) 1 rgb scart

panasonic tx28ps12 (100hz) 2 rgb scarts; states it on manufactures site; some disagreements on a few threads read here

sony KV28FX68 (100hz) 2 rgb scarts

tx28ps12 being £100 less than the KV28FX68. 2rgb sockets is ideal for me.
    Does anyone know whether these can be switched into 50hz mode if one desires?

All suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    1: It isn't a manufacturing problem nor a defect; it's a feature of some makes of tube.

2: If you have 'fast' eyes - 50hz refresh, especially on a larger screen than you are used to, will be annoying. I speak from experience. And, I believe my eyes have got 'faster' as I've got older - so I suspect the problem will get worse rather than better. It's one reason why all my screens are LCDs.

3: I'll leave it to others to consider. If it were me, at that size, I'd be buying the 27 inch THOMSON LCD item on sale at Dixon$ for £1500ish.

3. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Flicker is also dependent on the decay time of the phosphor on the tube. PC monitors have a very short decay time so the phosphors fade quickly after being scanned, this makes the flicker more obvious. 50Hz TVs can have a comparitively long decay time which results in less flicker, but can result in trails being left behind bright objects moving against a dark background.

4. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is part of the manufacturing of the tubes, not sure of the technical reason why but it is not a flaw.

On a 32" and above 50Hz flicker is visible to quite a number of people, on portable sets virtually no one notices it. 28" is about the threshold where it is a real problem for a few people (myself for example) but a non issue for most

If you notice it then your money is probably well spent in the 100Hz as a TV which causes migranes is useless.

The PS1 range of TVs has 1 RBG scart and 1 composite/s-vid Scart on the back. The PS12 range has 2 RGB scarts and 1 composite/s-vid scart. Both have composite RCA and s-video on the front.

Very few TVs permit you to change the refresh rate, the PS range does not.