Door to Door sales ripping off elderly

Phil Scott

We all hear horror stories of elderly people being ripped off by door to door sales people for all sorts and now it appears to have happened to my grandfather who suffers from dementia.

Yesterday a company visited him and have managed to get him to sign a contract for £2,000 to have his patio cleaned.

Is there any way out of this now it has been signed? Appreciate any advice.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I simply wouldn't pay it. End of.

I would go to Trading Standards, Citizens Advice and the Police and contact Rogue Traders and failing that I'd let them take me to court. If it was my parents, I would wait for them personally at the house as well in case they tried any strong arm tactics as that would soon be nipped in the bud.

Might also be an idea to get a few other quotes to arm yourself with as evidence of how much it "actually" costs. The scam merchants infuriate me and give honest tradesmen a bad name.

Phil Scott

Thanks for the advice.

Have been looking in to it a little online and found this about cancelling a Contract on the Which website.

If the contract was made at home
If you enter into a contract at home, your place of work or during an excursion arranged by the trader, the 'Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work etc Regulations 2008' give you a seven-day cooling-off period during which you can cancel.

There are some contracts these regulations don't apply to including:

* Things worth less than £35
* Items delivered by a rounds person such as newspapers and milk
* Contracts for the sale, construction or rental of property.

Hopefully this will cover it.

I don't know any other details yet but I am sure I will find out exactly what has gone on later today. Unfortunately he is a good few hours drive away so I can't just pop round to help him out but I will see where this goes and contact the company if need be / possibly go up there.

Thanks again.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
As your Grandfather also suffers from Dementia, I would say you have an almost water tight case in his favour with regards his signing for something whilst not having the full faculties to understand what is being asked.

Hope you get this sorted out. Keep us updated :)

liamt

Phil Scott - i accuse you of being Mr. Peri Peri on OCUK forums. same post today there ;)

im realbabelfish on there BTW :)

zircon3035

I recently had to arrange a funeral and, because the funeral director visited me at home, it was classed as "doorstep sale"' so he was obliged to tell me about the seven day cooling off period. I wasn't sure whether to laugh, but it should apply to your case too.

SBT

Banned
Living in a street where everyone else is eldely,we get people knocking all the time.As i'm the first house i tell them i'm not interested and neither are my neighbours.I stand there and watch, to make sure they don't knock at any of my neighbours houses.

Geege

We all hear horror stories of elderly people being ripped off by door to door sales people for all sorts and now it appears to have happened to my grandfather who suffers from dementia.

Yesterday a company visited him and have managed to get him to sign a contract for £2,000 to have his patio cleaned.

Is there any way out of this now it has been signed? Appreciate any advice.
Contact Trading Standards for your area or visit Citizens Advice website for Consumer advice, for how to word the letter of cancellation and send it to their registered business address. Of-course assuming they left those details for your grandfather along with writing information about his cancellation rights? (I guess not).

The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer

Doorstep selling and your consumer rights | Consumer Information

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/kent/documents/Dstepweb interim gdn oct08.pdf

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom