1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom3 - Officially scared now !

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by monkeyleader, Mar 8, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So Ive have only just picked this up again after not playing for about 2 months ... what a great game - forgot how sick and twisted it actually was ! :devil: I've just reached Hell !! (those screenshots to come later) but for now here is a little taster in the lead up to it !

Check me screenies out here

I cant wait to get a new GFX card to really push the visuals !

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    cracks me up the opinions of this game. some people like you love it some people like me loath it and think it isnt fit to clean half life's boots. visuals yes are stunning when you can actually see some thing. to much hype over the game for me. it did run nice on my system but that wasnt enought for me. i went and played far cry and half life :D

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yer opinion really is divided on this one - I loved HL2 and in fact probably more so than Doom3 - however as far as scare value goes I must admit Doom wins it for me ... I also think the monsters in doom are much better - story line, overall visuals and additional mods then its gotta be HL2 ...

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    but general consensus is that you dont play a game to be the **** scared out of you :D

i actually recently installed it an played in 5.1 on my projector, in the dark. now that wasnt nice :D

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    nice ... yer I was thinking of doing the same ... might give that a blast this weekend !!

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Its a great engine , hopefully we'll see some cracking games coming out of it.

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not used a projector, but I have been able to do the full 5.1 thing and boy that puts you on edge! In the dark is even better - the sounds can be truly eerie and certainly make you very uneasy.

Compared to HL2 my only gripe would be with the physics - this is where HL2 does excel IMO. I think ID missed an opportunity there. I've said many times that I found HL2 tedious to play, but Doom 3 a joy and my opinion has not changed.

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

9. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Half Life fanboy .....YAWN!!!!

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    PMSL - Can't believe it took over 12 hours for the obligatory Laurel&Hardy "Half Life 2 is tedious" comment to appear on this thread. Classic :D

11. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant believe it...only took the fanboys 2 hours to realise this. They are slipping...

And for your information I'll say it as often as I please. Now get a life for crying out loud.

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Doom 3 is a pile of **** compared to most FPS shooters out. hell id rather play the old AVP games than that. how the **** can HL2 seem tidious when in doom all u do is find a locked door, oh now i need a pda run back thru half the game get it open the door then do the same thing again. at least Hl2 has some originality plus it has "dog" arguement won :D

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    :D lol Come on fella, take a joke & see the funny side of it.

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In YOUR opinion, not mine.

HL2 was tedious for me - I did not connect to the game, not once. It did nothing for me whatever. In fact when it was finished I could not hide my disappointment at what I had just played, compounded even more by the fact I was so looking forward to playing it. It has brownie points for sure, the physics engine was very good and the weapons were mostly from Half Life, which was no bad thing at all. But in my opinion Half Life was a far better game to play.

I know I'm in a minority but I know I'm not the only person who has had this experience with HL2 - loads of my mates were similarly disappointed, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there. I've seen all the awards the game has got and I'm wondering what I'm missing out on, but I have tried again to connect with this game and it still struck me as being so very dull and tedious. Sorry, but that's my experience. The moment I play Doom 3 everything clicks and I'm absorbed. So therefore, in my opinion Doom 3 is better than HL2.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Come on let's not get into this again. I thought we had come to an agreement that L&H prefers Doom3 whilst the rest of us prefer Half Life 2. If L&H would rather play D3 then that's his choice I guess. Similarily I can't understand why some people buy crap cars like Metro's and the new swathe of Asian brands (Kia's etc.), but they do. I don't think i'll ever understand some people but isn't that part of what makes life so interesting? :thumbsup:

16. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    not only do you continually post the same repetitive 'bigging up' of doom
    and slagging off HL2 .... contrary to 90% of gamers, reviewers and accolades.

.... you also repetitively call any detractors 'fan boys'.

a) fan boy is an insult - not really appropriate for these forums
    b) its a more apt title for yourself - since you are going agaist the consensus of opinion both professional and public.

so its uncalled for AND ironic

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    MOD COMMENT Calling an other gamers on this forum fanboy is not allowed please remember this in future. :lesson:

18. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    lol,cant believe a mod got involved cos I got called a fanboy :rotfl:

Just for the record,although I did enjoy HL2 and ,yes,preffered it to Doom3 I wouldnt consider myself a "fanboy".As Ethics pointed out I am not the one who appears on every single thread that that mentions(no matter how fleetingly) HL2 or D3 and launches into how HL2 is cr@p and Doom 3 is far superior regardless of the relevance to the thread :hiya:

Top marks for consistency :smashin:

and another thing,TBH,IMHO,peas pwn carrots,carrots are rubbish,I cant believe some people think carrots are better,they are obviously wrong!

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    You PEA Fanboy! Why is it everytime I let my mind wander to a lovely plate of Carrots there's a PEA fanboy posting about how good Peas are!! Everyone knows that Carrots are much better than peas! Maybe if the bloke out of Doom 3 had eaten more carrots he wouldn't need his poxy torch to see in the dark.

:D :rotfl: :smashin:

I'm sure that Laurel&Hardy has devised some sort of clever program that instantly detects any forum mentions of the letters H & L followed by a number 2. :D

20. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I truly do not believe what I am reading here. Being warned for calling somebody a fanboy??? If I called him a mindless ****** you might have had a point...

The ironic part is that two other posters made a comparison of doom 3 and HL2 before I did. I merely added my thoughts along with the fact that I had not tried the game on a projector. Now it comes to this.

I will not retract or apologise for a single word I have written either.

It seems good to attack somebody because their opinion is opposed by the majority. It also appears that doom 3 threads can be hijacked by people posting 'non-related' replies, something that was not deemed acceptable when I posted my thoughts about HL2 and Doom3 in a HL2 thread. So no, there is no consistency at all.

The only person I will apologise to is the original poster for seeing the thread he started dissolve into a stupid argument about a game.

This stops here. Simply speaking if I cannot express a view without others taking an exception because *the majority* deem it to be incorrect then there is no point posting here. Have it your way, I shall leave this place, and good riddance.

Oh EG, I couldn't disagree with you more. I couldnt care less about public or professional opinion about anything. Only sheep care for such things.

Oh sorry, can we call somebody a sheep, or is this also an insult too far?

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The developers intentionally went out to create two very different style games with Unreal2 sitting between the two. I thought Doom 3 had more atmosphere and scared the **** out of me many times where as HL2 is full of open landscapes and free flowing.

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Ahh nothing like a bit of light hearted banter. They are only games & not really worth getting that worked up over.

LOL - it's a discussion forum (or did you miss that point somewhere) and as such when you get differing views they are obviously both taking exception to each other. What most of us generally don't do is throw our teddies out of the pram just because someone else has a differing view to us. You are 100% entitled to your view & I for one fully respect the fact that you would rather play one FPS to another. Similarly for us to have a more adult discussuion you must accept that I and a couple of others on this thread would rather play the other FPS.

Not really. I always make up my own mind 100% whether I like something or not. Generally it works like this:

- A good game is generally liked my a much larger amount of people than a poor game. Professional opinion is also far more likely to say that a good game is good, given the experience that they have. The only real barometer of how good a game is, is to look at such figures. Every game that has been made will probably have at least 1 person who thinks it's great but every magazine etc can't just say "this game will appeal to perhaps one person out there so i'll give it 10/10".

As the majority prefer Half Life 2 to Doom3 you will naturally get more people that speak up in favour of HL2. There is no personal attack on you just because you are in the minority when it comes to which game is best.

I for example really liked "Men of Valor" on the X-Box but that is not a popular opinion. It doesn't bother me, I can see why perhaps it's not as highly rated as some games but there's just something about it that I like. I wouldn't bother coming on a thread and saying that it's better than Halo 2 (even though I play it much more than Halo2) because Halo2 is actually the "better" game. It doesn't mean that I have to like, prefer & play the "better" game though.

I enjoy discussing the merits of various games (which strangely enough is why I post on here) so let's have some constructive comment :thumbsup:

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    What is implied by 'fan boy' my interpretation is of somebody blindly following a particular brand and refuseing to see reason or accept rational argument.

..... in other words, a gullable, biased muppet

it is not only the words themselves, but the dissmissive context in which you used it.
    The original poster simply made a comment about your unwavering support of Doom3 and the fact that you have posted on every thread containing anything about Doom3 or HL2 to make your opinion known.
    ..... it is the observable truth - and he made a humerous joke about it.

You on the other hand simply 'called him names' with no hint of humour.

What needs to be taken into consideration, is the fact that we discuss games for several reasons - and one of those primary reasons is peer opinion reviews.
    Its fine to say you like one thing or the other - but be prepared for otehrs to try and balance the arguement.
    If a particular game that the majority of people thought was great and 1 or 2 didn't like - and the last or most comments are by the people not likeing it - anyone reading the thread will get the impression that the game is bad.
    Which is wrong - as if most people liked it, its good .... and why those that liked it ofc fill out the thread and point out their differing opinion.
    We need to point out the accolades, reviews and other gamers that liked it to show a truer picture - and highlight those bad reviews as anomolies - and therefore they can be put in context.

Someone might have mentioned HL2 before you in the thread - but that did NOT require you to re express your opinions on it for the 25th time. Most posters that read here know what you think ..... hence why made a humerous comment about it in the first place ...... and those that don't, may get the wrong impression as the general consensus of opinion about the game.

You must admit, that even if you didn't like it - if you were to guess whether the next gamer would like it or not, the safer money would be on them doing so.
    On the reverse side - there were far more people that did not like Doom than raved about it - so it would also be fair to say that it is more likely that the next gamer to play it is most likely to be dissapointed.

I believe we as a community have a responsabilty to each other to make sure that on balance, fair reviews and opinions are given to those seeking them.
    That means ofc allowing negative reviews of a generally accepted good game - but carefully putting them in context .... and vice versa for the stinkers.

So every time you make a comment about HL2 being rubbish and Doom3 being great - we have to point out that its an extreme minority opinion - and at odds with the gaming press and public as a whole.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    On a lighter note (if I dare drag this thread back into the realms of light hearted banter), it's novel to see people discussing the games for once & not merely saying how great their PC or console is :thumbsup: . :D

25. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I didn't bring it up because mines bigger than yours and I didn't want to hurt your feelings ;)

26. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I used to drive a Metro and now I drive a rubbish?/excellent? Asian motor. OTOH I think HL2 is a great game (but Steam is a PITA) while Doom3 is awful.

27. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    steam has the abilty and structure to be great and i think most publishers/dev's may follow suit. its just abit to slow for me personally. i had to reformat my pc and when i re-installed Steam/HL2/CS:S it took about 4 hrs in total to d/l updates etc and im on a 2mb connection.

28. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I find Steam gets in the way. Several times I've gone to have a quick blast on HL2 and by the time Steam has logged on, updated and done it's business I've lost interest and done something else.