Doom Annihilation (2019)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Universal are going to attempt another Doom film

Doom Remake Planned at Universal Starring Singer Nina Bergman

universal-is-starting-work-on-a-new-doom-movie.jpg

I actually think a film based on Doom could work really well, but it should just be 90 minutes or less, not take itself seriously, not worry about world building or a narrative so it can just focus on certified 18 demon killin' with as much practical blood and gore as possible and top it off with a soundtrack like the 2016 game. To me, that sounds like a good action film.

But this one will probably be rubbish, and looking at this Nina Bergman's previous films doesn't incite any confidence.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first one but I think they went a bit ott with the first person crap.

Straight to dvd.

straight to SyFy channel, more like. Looks terrible. I'll watch it.

Where's Lorenzo Lamas and Olivier Gruner when you need them? At least they could sell the weapons in things like this. Having guns that big thrown around by ladies that small just makes you think styrofoam

its only 30sec teaser, hopefully full trailer will come off better..

id Software were not involved with the movie

It does make you wonder why bother though. I mean making a movie of nearly any budget is significant and involves a lot of work and effort.

Most action game plots are b-movie level-ish anyway but they get away with it because it's something that is mean to be interacted with. You're not just a spectator, you're a player. Most of that cannot translate to celluloid so the directing, visuals, plot, pacing, acting better be a lot better otherwise what was the point? This looks visually worse than the flipping 2016 game on medium setting lol

it still looks like it should have a voiceover saying "from the studio that brought you Five Headed Shark Attack" or something like that.
I kind of think it looks like a recently discovered 80's Aliens rip-off, the kind of thing Fred Olen Ray and Roger Corman made loads of. I'll watch it but I'm under no illusion it'll be decent, but that doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining in it's own way.

I've seen this twice now, I actually enjoyed it.
Earlier in the thread I said it looked like an 80's throwback after watching the trailer and I definitely stand by that comment. It's just like something that could have come out in the wake of Aliens (which it owes a huge debt to), mashed up with the previous Doom film and the first Resident Evil flick, and I got a kind of Keanu's Constantine vibe from it aswell at times.
It leans more on miniatures than digital fx and, I think, gets the mix about right in that respect but that's more due to budget constraints than choice, probably.
The leading lady is a bit Ripley-lite but I didn't mind, she can handle the action scenes well. If she's not doing the fight stunts herself it's cut together well enough to hide the fact it's a stunt woman if that's the case. The cannon fodder cast are as you'd expect in something like this, ranging from ok to barely passable, so your mileage may vary with that, but it worked for me.
I forgave the fact that there's no weight to any of the weapons they use, they throw them around like the cheap plastic toys they are, and do resemble the Aliens pulse rifles a bit too much. And the monsters are the man-in-suit variety all the way most of the time, straight out of Predator, Humanoids From The Deep and countless other sci-fi monster flicks of yesteryear. For the low budget I thought they did alright.

I can watch stuff like this all day. It's not top tier entertainment, realistically it's pretty low end, but it's entertaining, doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, and is definitely better than a SyFy or Asylum type production. It won't be for everyone and it'll probably end up on something like SyFy, Sony Movies or the Horror Channel in the next 12 months, but it can comfortably be filed alongside other old school sci-fi and/or horrors like Galaxy Of Terror, Inseminoid, Aliens, Predator, Humanoids From The Deep, Moon 44, Robowar... it's obviously not up there with the best but it's definitely not the worst of this kind of thing that's out there. 30 years ago it would have been awesome as a corner shop vhs rental :D but I think even now it holds it's own pretty well for what it is.

I've seen this twice now, I actually enjoyed it.
Earlier in the thread I said it looked like an 80's throwback after watching the trailer and I definitely stand by that comment. It's just like something that could have come out in the wake of Aliens (which it owes a huge debt to), mashed up with the previous Doom film and the first Resident Evil flick, and I got a kind of Keanu's Constantine vibe from it aswell at times.
It leans more on miniatures than digital fx and, I think, gets the mix about right in that respect but that's more due to budget constraints than choice, probably.
The leading lady is a bit Ripley-lite but I didn't mind, she can handle the action scenes well. If she's not doing the fight stunts herself it's cut together well enough to hide the fact it's a stunt woman if that's the case. The cannon fodder cast are as you'd expect in something like this, ranging from ok to barely passable, so your mileage may vary with that, but it worked for me.
I forgave the fact that there's no weight to any of the weapons they use, they throw them around like the cheap plastic toys they are, and do resemble the Aliens pulse rifles a bit too much. And the monsters are the man-in-suit variety all the way most of the time, straight out of Predator, Humanoids From The Deep and countless other sci-fi monster flicks of yesteryear. For the low budget I thought they did alright.

I can watch stuff like this all day. It's not top tier entertainment, realistically it's pretty low end, but it's entertaining, doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, and is definitely better than a SyFy or Asylum type production. It won't be for everyone and it'll probably end up on something like SyFy, Sony Movies or the Horror Channel in the next 12 months, but it can comfortably be filed alongside other old school sci-fi and/or horrors like Galaxy Of Terror, Inseminoid, Aliens, Predator, Humanoids From The Deep, Moon 44, Robowar... it's obviously not up there with the best but it's definitely not the worst of this kind of thing that's out there. 30 years ago it would have been awesome as a corner shop vhs rental :D but I think even now it holds it's own pretty well for what it is.

The sets were poor. but the planet set piece was good, The whole thing came across as a low budget affair with charging zombies with flaying arms. Just think if it was a big studio film and Ripley Scott did the production design, and Alexandre Aja directed it.
The best thing about this was Amy Manson as Joan Dark. 6/10
I want to rewatch the previous remake to compare

I feel like I've already seen it, thanks to the way you describe it in your detailed review. Its as if we were watching it together!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom