Doom 4 - Preview Thread

catisfit

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Doom 4 has been officially announced by id Software, and will be coming to PS3.

Kevin Cloud said:
You don't even have to worry about how it's going to look on PS3 or 360. Right now we've got it running cross-platform running 60 hertz, and it looks really good," said Cloud. "In terms of what artists are available to achieve--it's something you have to see for yourself. I can say this, but you still won't get it until you see it.

Can we have two hands this time? :rotfl:

Is there a link to the announcement?

Well personally I enjoyed it. I picked up nicely from the half way mark and some of the graphics used were superb.

Fair comment. I just don't think it did the Doom series justice. Poor online, random spawning monsters. Graphically great but just lacked the Doom feeling. Lets hope 4 rocks :smashin:

I think ID will have to pull some amazing gameplay out of the bag and make sure the game isn't just a tech demo (doom 3 anyone?)...JC has a lot of faith to restore for me.

Im sure it will look great though knowing them...

Well personally I enjoyed it. I picked up nicely from the half way mark and some of the graphics used were superb.

It might have picked up, but as I was bored rigid of the circa 1993 gameplay well before being half-way through the game I never got to see that bit.

The whole 'Oh %$^& the lights have just gone out' and 'a little door has just opened behind me and some troll that lives in a cupboard has shot me in the back' style of gameplay got old REAL fast. The graphics were pretty though. :rolleyes:

I think it'll be interesting to see how the new engine compares to what epic are producing.

The tech in this will be used for a lot of games that we'll see on the ps3 :thumbsup:

I loved the early doom games on the pc, hopefully the new one is a good game!

It might have picked up, but as I was bored rigid of the circa 1993 gameplay well before being half-way through the game I never got to see that bit.

The whole 'Oh %$^& the lights have just gone out' and 'a little door has just opened behind me and some troll that lives in a cupboard has shot me in the back' style of gameplay got old REAL fast. The graphics were pretty though. :rolleyes:
I can understand the critcism, but I treated it as a dumb shooter and in that way it didn't disappoint. I only completed it late last year so I was well aware of everyone's criticisms of the game! :)

Will doom 4 be released on the 360 as well or is it a ps3 exclusive title?

Oh god this. Nothing quite like walking along in the dark, only to have a random hidden panel fly open, a monster jump out and take off 40hp. The most frustrating, horrible shooting game I've played since, well, ever.

That said, I do have faith in id that they will take Doom 3's obvious flaws into consideration and improve.

Will doom 4 be released on the 360 as well or is it a ps3 exclusive title?

The FIRST POST has a quote talking about it running on the 360 :suicide:

I quite liked the gameplay to a point but I suffer a terrible affliction. My trouble is I can easily get immersed in a game and the number of jumpy moments in Doom 3 had me on the verge of a heart attack at times so in the ineterests of my own safety I didn't eveer complete it.

Oh god this. Nothing quite like walking along in the dark, only to have a random hidden panel fly open, a monster jump out and take off 40hp. The most frustrating, horrible shooting game I've played since, well, ever.

That said, I do have faith in id that they will take Doom 3's obvious flaws into consideration and improve.

I'm not so sure. id have never exactly had a reputation for great gameplay, after inventing the fps with Wolfenstein 3D every game since has followed the same formula with little innovation on the gameplay front. Their games tend to be fairly by-the-numbers games with state of the art engines. Doom 3 was all about the engine. Taken as a purely as a game, rather than a tech demo, I doubt any review would have given it much more than 6 out of 10. As it was id, a spectacular engine and a new Doom it got 9s and 10s across the board.

I certainly would wait for reviews before buying another id game this time round. Whilst I can't wait to see their next-gen engine and John Carmack is a genuine genius, I'm not sure id have anyone who actually knows how to make a good game. When some real game developers like Raven get their hands on Carmack's latest creation will be when the fun really starts.

I'm not so sure. id have never exactly had a reputation for great gameplay, after inventing the fps with Wolfenstein 3D every game since has followed the same formula with little innovation on the gameplay front. Their games tend to be fairly by-the-numbers games with state of the art engines. Doom 3 was all about the engine. Taken as a purely as a game, rather than a tech demo, I doubt any review would have given it much more than 6 out of 10. As it was id, a spectacular engine and a new Doom it got 9s and 10s across the board.

I certainly would wait for reviews before buying another id game this time round. Whilst I can't wait to see their next-gen engine and John Carmack is a genuine genius, I'm not sure id have anyone who actually knows how to make a good game. When some real game developers like Raven get their hands on Carmack's latest creation will be when the fun really starts.

If they could find a way to attach a torch to a gun or maybe even have a gun in one hand and a torch in another then maybe doom 4 might be good. Must be really difficult:suicide:

If they could find a way to attach a torch to a gun or maybe even have a gun in one hand and a torch in another then maybe doom 4 might be good. Must be really difficult:suicide:

That and the fact that in the distant future they have apparently uninvented night vision goggles :confused:

That and the fact that in the distant future they have apparently uninvented night vision goggles :confused:

It was a blatant move to increase tension but it annoyed so many people I doubt they'll make that mistake again (they'll figure out whole new ones :)).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom