Doom 4 officially announced!

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually liked Doom 3 so I'm glad to hear that the fourth one has been offically announced!

Production has begun on DOOM 4™, the next journey into the legendary DOOM universe. We are expanding our internal team and are currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title.

"DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

The DOOM franchise is one of the most recognizable and important in gaming history, having been named "one of the ten most influential games of the decade" by PC Gamer and "the #1 game of all time" by GameSpy. DOOM 4 will join the award-winning series which has consistently topped sales charts throughout the world.

We are looking for talented, ambitious and passionate individuals eager to join our accomplished team of developers working on the industry's most innovative and anticipated games. For a complete listing of available positions, visit our id Careers page. Resumes can be submitted via email to [email protected]. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.

me too :) i played it through and the add on pack, im looking forward to this

I always welcome another FPS on the pc as its my favourite genre and whilst i wasnt blown away by Doom3 i enjoyed it nonetheless!!

I just hope they try and add some new features without taking away the essence that is Doom!

Great news. :smashin:

Doom 3 four player coop was also superb. I lost many hours to that. :)

If they can make the gameplay a tad more varied but maintain the atmosphere of #3 I think they'll be onto a winner!

The PC needs some big games so it's good news. I imagine it'll also be out on the consoles though.

3 was ok but creatures jumping out to make you jump soon wore thin. I'll still end up buying 4 though.

If they made them spawn randomly would have made it more scary, but hey I played it in the dark with some headphones and I found it scary enough! :)

Bit less scripted scares and we could be onto a winner.

Saying that, they worked, the game terrified me in places. So much I never finished it. Will have to take another look before this comes out.

Good news all round.

I wonder if Quake 5 will follow. I thoroughly enjoyed Quake 4...

Do try and finish it, it picks up pace much more towards the end. Thought it was a decent game despite the repitition in parts.

Let's hope this goes back to the first 2 games roots. I was never a fan of doom 3. perhaps you could play as a demon!

John Carmack has told Maximum PC that Doom 4 will be much more detailed than Rage (both games will be using the idTech 5 engine).

We're ramping up to do another Doom game, built on id Tech 5. But it's going to be a 30Hz game. Even though we're not changing the engine, we get to throw three times as much horsepower at it, so it's going to look like a totally new game engine on there, even though it's going to be built on the four years of effort that we spent developing this generation of technology.

Interesting comment on DX10 too,

MPC: Are you using DirectX 9 equivalent? For Doom 4 as well?

JC: Yes to both. It's one of those things I get asked a lot. What's big and exciting for DirectX 10 or DirectX 11? There's not a whole lot of… really not a whole lot. The big touted geometry shaders were in many ways, a mistaken belief that people desperately wanted to create stencil shadow volume.

There's a tough thing with that. You get a bunch of people who make APIs, and they think “it's my job to make APIs. I make new APIs every year.” There's a reality of approaching a functionality curve, and the DX9 level gives us a whole lot of stuff where it's not like before, even at the DX7 functionality level. Graphics programmers have tried every possible configuration, and they've tried every state and know what happens when. But, as soon as you get programmability in there (as happened with DX9) you're writing code now. The code is limited, but we're so far from exhausting the possibilities.

Sure, when DX10 hardware is ubiquitous and that's our baseline platform, we'll find something useful to do with all that extra hardware. It's not like we're saying “no, we won't use this”.

Glad to hear about the new Doom - Doom 3 was significantly under-rated IMHO. Yes the gameplay was a little repetitive but it had a decent storyline and it was well built upon with the PDA dits. The Soul Cube and Chainsaw offered alot of fun as well.

As for the comments re Direct X 10 - I am disappointed. I think we've all come to acknowledge ID makes console games first these days leaving the PC with an effective 'port' so it's not unsurprising. But I would have hoped they would have supported the platform to it's fullest. It does wind me up the way some companies chase the easy money on the consoles - the PC is by far the biggest installed platform and for the companies that approach the PC correctly (e.g. Valve) there is significantly greater sums of money involved...

It is a shame, but the console dollar has provided a lure that even some die-hard PC houses can't afford to ignore.

I enjoyed Doom 3 too, the Soul Cube was good fun (if a bit over powering) but the chainsaw was loads of fun. Personally I enjoyed the second half more than the first – the opposite to what a lot of others feel!

Think the failings of Rage may have hit them quite hard, only so many 5 yr dev cycles a company can sustain regardless of who is behind them.

Wouldn't be shocked if it were to be a launch title for the new consoles.

As much as I loved Doom3 I wont be pre-ordering this game after the disappointing Rage.

its a fun game with some nice touches and shoddy textures

It looks **** and is nothing like what was promised. No more pre-ordering from this dev from me.

Shame this, rage had killed the last great veteran pc developer. Now we're stuck with crappy rehashes of the same *****

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom