Doom 3

oxygenuk

Ex Member
Reaction score
this is far too under-rated IMO :lesson: :lesson: :lesson:

got this yesterday and think its great

like being in a horror movie itself, chilling, jumping and tesnse edge of your seat action.

FPS is my fav genre aswell so any big fps fans if u havent already got this get it 1 way or the other :smashin:

At risk of being flamed and starting (yet another) fan-boy war, I have to say I agree. I play it far more than I do Half Life 2. But hey, it's all about personal choice :)

I haven't got doom3, but i remember AvP when it was originally lauched and that too had great atmosphere. 1st person games are easily the best genre for actually believing you are involved.

I used some 3d glasses in HK a fews years back on halflife1 and that made it even better. I wonder if they work on doom3.

stevos said:
I used some 3d glasses in HK a fews years back on halflife1 and that made it even better. I wonder if they work on doom3.

:devil: :cool:

stevos said:

I used to us 3d glasses with Aliens V Predator and then put the original sound track on and turn all the lights off.

I had a few injuries and broken furniture bits :rotfl:

IMO the most over hyped boring game ive had the unfortinate pleasure of owning :( went back to game in the same day. so dull and repetitive. go into room random things jump out. repeat for every room. oh locked door lets go back half way through the game and get the PDA to open it :( thats about all it has in gameplay terms, its not even scary :)

all my opinion of course

bjd said:
At risk of being flamed and starting (yet another) fan-boy war, I have to say I agree. I play it far more than I do Half Life 2. But hey, it's all about personal choice :)

lol,who was that character that used to appear immediatley at the mention of HL2/Doom3 to defend Doom to the hilt?Laurel and Hardy or something?Now he really loved Doom3 :rotfl:

I didnt mind it but did find it a bit repetitive;very atmospheric though and playing with a hangover in the dark with headphones on was exhausting :zonked:

I thought doom 3 was boring as hell I hate games set in doors with dark rooms and corridoors, i like open ended out door games.

Run down corridoor (boring no scenery to look at) get to locked door so run down another corridoor find key :boring:

ok there may be abit more to it but still

my favs

farcry
half life 2
chrome
Deus ex

Doom 3 is a really bad game. There is no depth to it at all, even though Id said that they were concentratingon the single player aspect. My advice is to wait for Prey, which should show off what Doom 3 should have been like (if all goes well, that is...) Or just get FEAR - I would rather play the FEAR demo than Doom 3 the full game!

too linear, too scripted. Very nice engine though , still the best looking game on the PC and the sound is another level entirely.

I think the engine is OK, but the way it handles physics is just wrong for me. Compared to another well known engine ;) it doesnt come close :)

I must admit, Doom 3 (when I started using my PC as a HTPC) effects handling and general atmosphere was really good.

Saying that, I preferred the sound in No One Lives Forever 2. The sound, like the rest of the game is unique and the voice acting fits in very well. Oh, and Stunning musical score, especially the Pakistan level. The hurricane spooky house level gave me the creeps a bit more then the first couple of Doom 3 levels, too.
Actually, where did I leave that copy of NOLF2...?

Mr Jason B said:
lol,who was that character that used to appear immediatley at the mention of HL2/Doom3 to defend Doom to the hilt?Laurel and Hardy or something?Now he really loved Doom3 :rotfl:

I didnt mind it but did find it a bit repetitive;very atmospheric though and playing with a hangover in the dark with headphones on was exhausting :zonked:

:rotfl: I was just thinking about him as I was reading this! Where is he, I used to love his Doom3 rants as he tried valiantly to stick up for it against Half Life 2.

Personally I liked Doom3 for about the first hour or so and then I realised that it just became rather dull - Like Kopite says it just gets repetetive. I admit that the atmosphere was good but IMO Farcry instincts on the X-Box is much more atmospheric. I think that it was rated about right. It's OK but is no way near as good as HL2 or Farcry.

CAS FAN said:
:rotfl: I was just thinking about him as I was reading this! Where is he, I used to love his Doom3 rants as he tried valiantly to stick up for it against Half Life 2.

Personally I liked Doom3 for about the first hour or so and then I realised that it just became rather dull - Like Kopite says it just gets repetetive. I admit that the atmosphere was good but IMO Farcry instincts on the X-Box is much more atmospheric. I think that it was rated about right. It's OK but is no way near as good as HL2 or Farcry.

it was me that out'd him on the subject :rolleyes:

to quote Blade ... " some *cough* ers are always trying to ice skate up hill "

AvP was really good for atmosphere - and really did make you jump.
Sytem Shock ....

but my fave for atmosphere .... Theif ( along with sound )

NOLF 1 and 2 were great as well - good humor all the way through ;)

AVP rocks and eats most games for stmosphere. the sensor that sounded like mobile phone OMG that shat me up a few times playing at 1am with the headphones on, unloading a whole clip into nothing :D

SS2 is very good as well

ahh yes Mr Doom 3 himself, he didnt get much say in with us lot. he should have just faced up its a :censored: game :rotfl:

i'm another who got bored with Doom3......didnt even go that far in to it, gave it as much of a chance as i could, psyked myself up by playing it at night and all...but it just didnt do it......shame, was looking forward to it so much....

HL2 on the other hand was almost as good as HL1 when i first played that. HL1 was my first FPS and to this date i dont think another game will takes its place in that genre. Even playing it now its amazing....yes the graphics arnt exactly brilliant and the physics are a little dated, but the whole story, despite being possibly even more linear than Doom3 in respect to following corridors, it just worked...so.damn.well.

each time it let you get near to the outdoors and make you think you was getting homefree, it got you back downstairs again.....brilliant....made you want to fight your way back up again......

never gonna forget Black Mesa......never.

Gotta add my 2 penneth in and agree with what a lot of ppl are saying.

Doom 3 = Nice visuals. **** gameplay. How many times do you walk into an area, lights go down, torch goes on, enemy jumps out, enemy dies, lights go on....too many times that's what.

Cannot hold a candle to HL2's gameplay and storyline, and HL2 graphically is, IMO, on a par. More lush environments and EP1 goes one step over D3 with HDR lighting effects which, especially at the beginning of the game before DOG throws you accross the ravine, are awesome.

I guess each game will have its diehards, but HL2 + addons are far more entertaining and have far more life in them.

In fact I played thru Quake 4 a few weeks ago and near the end thought I'd install Doom 3 again and give it another chance as it's based on the same engine and was suitably impressed with it. Needless to say it isn't installed anymore whilst Quake 4 is still there along with HL2......

Suppose it matches the film in quality ;)

AVP series was class, especially multiplayer games. Last man standing when you can hear the motion sensor but don't see anything till it's too late....that is a game that need to be updated, but what engine would you use? D3 or HL2? I gotta say D3's engine would suit the game more but it would have to be updated with HDR etc and they'd have a surefire winner on their hands.

In fact I played thru Quake 4 a few weeks ago and near the end thought I'd install Doom 3 again and give it another chance as it's based on the same engine and was suitably impressed with it. Needless to say it isn't installed anymore whilst Quake 4 is still there along with HL2......

You should check out prey - it uses the d3 engine - there are some really nice physics augmentation. The gameplay isn't a patch on hl2/episodes/whatever, but its a good larf. Plenty of very cool models, lots of specular, anus tubes and the like - weird gravity, aliens grooving to judas priest. Quite looking forward to Quakewars...if its half as good as enemy territory, it'll be a blast.

Yeh was a fan of doom3 at the start but soon got bored!

Halflife 1 and 2 are top dogs.. followed closely by far cry!

You should check out prey - it uses the d3 engine - there are some really nice physics augmentation. The gameplay isn't a patch on hl2/episodes/whatever, but its a good larf. Plenty of very cool models, lots of specular, anus tubes and the like - weird gravity, aliens grooving to judas priest. Quite looking forward to Quakewars...if its half as good as enemy territory, it'll be a blast.

Played and finished Prey :D That was the game that got me interested in Quake 4 again as I never really got into because of HL2. It is a very good engine and Prey uses it well :thumbsup:

Only one game for me at the moment and it looks like being a PS3 exclusive for 6 months :mad: UT2k7.....

this is far too under-rated IMO :lesson: :lesson: :lesson:

got this yesterday and think its great

like being in a horror movie itself, chilling, jumping and tesnse edge of your seat action.

FPS is my fav genre aswell so any big fps fans if u havent already got this get it 1 way or the other :smashin:

I agree 100%. I'd like to know what percentage of people who say it's not scary played it as it's supposed to be played i.e. wearing headphones, with the lights out. It scared the crap out of me at various stages, yes it was repetitive but personally I got really caught up in the illusion that I was running around a deserted base on Mars.

actually its better played with a full blown 7.1 surround system using a 86in projection screen.......but still gets boring and repetitive.....lol.....first few times you jump, after a while, soon as you hear a moan you just turn and shoot and turn and shoot as the other zombi appears from nowhere thinking it would scare you as you dealt with the first one......

does look very nice, happily admit that...the engine rocks.....just the game had no serious appeal......

in fact, i'm much happier watching the movie....lol

in fact, i'm much happier watching the movie....lol

Shame the movie didn't stick more closely to the game. Only the name and some of the monsters bare any resemblance.....oh and the BFG :devil: besides that it's not a bad zombie style flick :smashin:

HL series would make a good film as long as they stick to the game storyline.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom