Doom 3 is very, very bad.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by russraff, Aug 30, 2004.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Doom 3. After all the furore, I decided to get this, and at the same time got Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay for my Xbox. Guess which one I am playing most? Guess which one has the better graphics and sound and story and better just about anything you can shake a mouse at? Yep, its Riddick.

What the hell were Id thinking with the torch swap thing? It very nearly makes the game unplayable! Anyway I decided to give Doom 3 another chance by modding the game so the torch is always on.

But, is it just me or is Doom 3 one of the most average games out there? I mean, the graphics are pretty good (see below), but FarCry was better. Like I said, if you look at Riddick, yeah the res is lower and all, but the design is way better and everyone moves like humans should. Doom's story is okay-ish but nowhere near NOLF2 standards and neither is the sound. Doom 3 isn't even very scary, not like Undying or AVP2. I dunno, Doom 3 just seems to be a pretty big dissapointment - just a glorified tech demo with a lame, hokey, by the numbers sci-fi story thrown in as an extra.

Oh, and can someone please tell me why with a 3.2 gig processor, 1GB of ram and a ATI 9800pro I still cant get a smooth game at 800x600 on medium settings? Just what kinda PC do you need to have - what's the point in having stellar graphics if you need to have a £4k computer to run it on?

Russell

2. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You have a problem if you can only play it on 800*600.

I have a the same specs and i play it on 1024*768,high detail,2*aa and with v-sync on.I get 40fps on the timedemo.

I thought it was a very good game.Felt like DOOM. :thumbsup:

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,389
    You're right, it DOES feel like Doom, trouble is Doom is 5 years old. I agree that Doom3 is a bitter disappointment, luckily I downloaded it first to see what a steaming pile of averagness it is, before wasting my money on it.

Roll on HL2:)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The graphics engine is simply stunning especially if your PC has the grunt to really make it work for you but lets face facts iD have never excelled on storyline and the more interactive elements of a FPS. Dozens of games will appear soon using the same engine and greatly expand the scope of the playability just as they have always done with iD engines.

There is certainly something wrong with the game setup if you can not get a decent framerate with your hardware, I am very pleased with it running at 1280*1024 with medium settings, shadows off no AA on a P4 1.8 and GF4 4400. Mind you turn on all the bells and whistles and the timedemo gives me 7fps :)

If the latest id game doesn't make half the PC's in the world obsolete they haven't tried hard enough!

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm getting 41.3 fps @ medium with resolution of 800x600 :thumbsdow

Russell

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Disagree...I love it.

Still playing it, still loving it.

Sound is fantastic, especially through 5.1 audio so you got that wrong as well.

I'm running an xp2800 with half a gig and an old Ti4600 and I get comparable rates to yous on medium graphics setting. Dare I say it but you must have something taking resources away from the game?

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Smirfin:
    Absolutely. This is a game that has some truly good ideas (the grenade picked up and thrown back at the enemies in tha later trailer?) and outstanding design. I must admit, though, I am looking forward to STALKER, Vampire Bloodlines and especially F.E.A.R more than HL2. They all look great in their own way. Why can't Doom have had the STALKER "disturbances" or whatever instead of the same bland corridor boreathon it is?

Laurel&Hardy

The frame rate was an aside, really, not the real point of the post. Thing is, I have a completely seperate hardware profile that has the very bare minimum services loaded - I can't even access the net using that profile. All drivers are updated and still the FPS is in the small forties. I will investigate further.

No, the sound is pedestrian at best, even through a 5.1 system (Logitech THX speakers and my HT rig, just to make sure). Just what is good about Doom 3's sound? Effects come from behind? No, games have had sound positioning for some time. One of my fave games, Undying had this and used sound to great effect. Indeed, Undying also had some very intense sound fields and truly unsettling, original sound effects. Doom 3 has the same regurgitated industrial effects used in so many "me too" sci-fi FPS's. You want atmosphere, hunt in some bargain bins and get System Shock 2. Thats how you do atmosphere and still keep the Sci-fi setting feeling fresh.

What is wrong with Doom 3 is there is not a single thing, not one, that is either different or advanced beyond what has gone before. I don't doubt that people are having fun playing the game, but there are much better, often much older games out there.

Russell

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember, you won't get better than 60fps because the game is code limited to this level, but even so it should be better than mine.

Played undying, yes it was good, atmospherics were well done but overall the game was nothing special in my opinion. Doom 3's sound is good because it is enveloping, and you are wrong, the sound DOES come from behind! It comes from everywhere! I even checked just before I posted this and allowed the creatures to attack me from behind and sure enough, the sounds of them running at me were all coming from the rear speakers so I think you need to look at that as well. And I don't care how 'original' the sound fields are - I care about how good they are and in Doom 3 they are some of the best I've heard.

Just for information I'm using a dedicated dolby digital amp which is fed from my Nvidia motherboard (MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR) via digital coax out. The amp is powering four bookshelves (I don't use a speech channel) and feeds line level signal to a huge sub I built myself (and I do mean huge) that is capable of resolving down to just 20Hz with real power. At night with the lights well down and the sound pounding it really does kick ass. It is all-enveloping and very, very atmospheric.

One thing I have discovered is that you have to be in the right frame of mind to play it. If I'm slightly tired or distrascted in some way I cannot play doom 3. From my experience over the last few weeks this is one of the few games that requires your absolute attention.

Doom 3 is not original, but that isn't the point of doom 3. It's a re-telling of the original, and we all knew this before it hit the shelves. I am also looking forward to Half Life 2, it does look really good but like I did with doom 3 I will judge it on how it plays, not on what is hyped in the press.

Oh, and the torch thing? Let me put this into the fray - I've seen so much stuff written about the lack of AI in doom 3, it's too dark, the same tired old tricks are being used to 'scare' you, and so on, yet everyone believes that you should be able to hold a torch and fire a gun at the same time! Night vision goggles? Now that would have been a good touch and I would have liked that, but a torch and a gun in your hands at the same time??? You try firing a gun whilst holding a torch! People want more realism in their enemy AI yet they don't want to fight in the dark!! This is a space station with a flaked power grid! It's bound to be dark!

In the end it comes down to personal taste - I like Doom 3 and I think ID have done a cracking job with the game engine, especially the sound, and the game itself. Yes it is slightly annoying that you can interact with some objects and not others - that would be one criticism I would have of the game but other than that I'm having a great time playing it. Doom will be a success regardless of opinions expressed here and I reckon there are many like me who are genuinely enjoying every gory minute of their time with this game. If you want to criticise the game I would suggest that:

a) you sort your system out and get to play it on hi res at 1024x768, which I'm sure a Radeon 9800 in that system is more than capable of. Click on the link below to see what you should be getting.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-02.html

b) make sure you have the sound set up correctly because I can tell you now that the sound is 360 degrees, well positioned and very powerful. Let's put it this way it's the first time I've ever preferred using speakers to headphones on a game, the sound is that good. This game is why I got 5.1 for my PC!

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sorry, I think we have our lines crossed. When I said:
    I was getting at Doom 3's 360 soundfield is nothing new, therefore: No, doom 3's sound isn't good because of it's 360 effects as games have had surround sound (sound positioning) for some time. Phew!

I seem to remember that there are a few weapons thew army uses with flashlights on them. Obviously the light can be switched off if the army is operating under cover, but I still think they exist.

I am not knocking the game engine, it is good. It's just not the "WOW!" game engine I was expecting considering Farcry is just as good if not better. Like you said it's down to personal preference.

Russell

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    doom is doom of course.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    :mad: Well, I cant beleive how ungrateful and spoiled you all are!

Less than 2 decades ago we had to settle for SNES like graphics and now we have something like Doom 3 with its amazing engine which must have taken them year to make.

Not to mention that most of you playing this game, have a pretty decent PC to play it on.

I cant beleive all the bitchin going on in this thread!

Lets see YOU make a better game than Doom 3!

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Oh... watch it Johns mum is online... :rotfl:

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Very nice game indeed...no complaints here,but then I've always enjoyed the various incarnations of Doom.
    The point about the hardware requirements is well made though,and that Toms' Hardware link from Laurel&Hardy is very useful....looks like another upgrade on the way,as my poor old GForce just isnt up to the job.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,157
    I've had this problem with every game of this genre in the past. All the original Dooms, and every one of the Quakes - yes they have all been fun to start with, but I have never finished any of them as I get bored with them half way through. Unreal2, I played one level and got rid because it was just the same, so I didn't bother buying Doom3.
    I think my problem is that I enjoy shooting real people rather than these alien/monster type things - that's why I only enjoyed half of Return To Castle Wolfenstein !

15. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's all down to presonal preference I suppose, but as for my own experiences, it's the only game to have made me jump out of my seat since playing the original. I don't care how hackneyed it is having a couple of imps jump out of cupboards at you - it still makes me sh*t myself :) I haven't played SS2 or Undying so can't comment on them but I played a demo of AVP2 and got bored before the end of it.

Do the people that complain about it read reviews? I do and I knew exactly what I was going to get and I am loving it.

16. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i think we should worry about you John :laugh:

i know what you mean though, in thing like half life i only enjoyed the sections where you are fighhting other troops

17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Could I please ask a question about (riddick) butcher bay? (xbox or ps2)

I hate some controling methods so are you able to change the thumbstick controls so that:

Left stick is: move forward/backward turn left/right

Right stick is: look down/up strafe left/right

On the demo you cant but i wondered if you could in the full game

I hope you can help

thanks

tris

18. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Doom was never meant to be that cerebral it's a corridor shooter after all. A very pretty corridor shooter if you've got the necessary pc hardware to run it at it's best (which I have fortunately:)). I'm still playing my way through it in short bursts and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. If I was to play the game in it's entirety in one or two sittings then I'd probably get bored and feel it was repetative. The key I feel is to sip it like a fine wine and not quoff it down in one go and choke on it :p The atmoshpere created by the graphics engine and sound is superb and shows you what can be done with the technology that they have created. Doom is a well polished game that is pretty free from bugs and gives you the Doom experience as expected (if you wanted something more cerebral then play the likes of Theif DS or Deus ex). I feel Id have delivered on there promise and have provided other developers with a fantastic game engine to play with :smashin:
    I look forward to the wealth of games that will be released in the future using this seperb engine :D

19. stakyl

stakyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry, but I have played Escape from Butcher Bay and it does NOT have better graphics than Doom 3. In fact, no game on the market is close to Doom 3, not even Far Cry, which I also own.
    The torch swap does not make the game unplayable. No really, it doesn't. It is an obvious "mood tool" the same as the fog in silent hill 1 (although they were forced to use it...technology sucked) or the music in resident evil games. Tell me you weren't scared whenever you had to switch from the flashlight to a weapon when a monster came. I'm sorry again, but the duct tape mod is just a way of pussying out. Why don't you just put on a God mode or something because you are NOT playing the game the way it was intended to be played.
    ooooo good point....
    You are whining about a game that you MODDED! :lesson:

oh and i have similar pc specs, you should defrag your harddrive, go through active processes, or SOMETHING because your computer can handle much more.

20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Finally got it going at decent speed and frame rate,with a Gforce 5900,after thinking I'd found a bargain in my local computer shop(a 5900Xt for £50...turned out to be a dud,but easily replaced).....1024x768,all the graphics options on incl 2xAA,and very nice too.
    Rest of the PC isn't special either...2.8Ghz Pentium 1Gb Ram and 120Gb disc,so I'm sure what Stakyl is saying above is right.

21. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Completely agree with the original poster. Doom3 gets boring FAST when you realise that the whole game looks the SAME.

Played Riddick from start to finish and enjoyed every second of it, AND its from a virtually unknown publisher.

Riddick really is an awesome (if a little short) game!

22. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Overall, I like the experience, I just think it's a bit samey, the levels are just a re-jig of what went on before. I don't mind going throughinterior levels but give us something else. Particularly if we have to pay for the priviledge.

23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The torch may be a mood tool. However, given that Doom 3 strives for ultra realistic graphics and presentation, the fact you cannot use a torch and shoot is very fustrating. I find it confusing that Id should decide that the torch thing is a good idea. After the first "demon dog thing" you are fully prepared to look around every corner and shoot a zombie or imp. Basically, the game looses its atmosphere due to expectation, and therefore the mood tool torch also becomes obsolete.
    As for me complaining about a game that I modded? Well, prior to the game's release, when all the fanboys had downloaded the thing, one person said something like "...the torch thing sucks!! This will be the first thing I will mod!". I replied "But then you won't be playing as the creators intended" (this was on CVG's forums). Little did I know how right he was! Admittedly, the first time, perhaps the first five, I had to swap from torch to gun it was frightening and had Id's desired effect. Thereafter I found it fustrating in the extreme, making me ask questions like "Why can't you have the torch and the gun?" and "if the spider sentry bots are so good, why can't they handle the insurgence?". Mood tool? Buy Eternal Darkness to see what some real mood setting is all about (and how to use imagination in a game). Surely there is more than industrial interiors on mars' surface?
    So what if I have modded the game? I have milk and sugar in coffee, simply because it tastes better like that. I have a boost contorller in my car, because I think it drives better like that. Does this mean that my opinions of either are invalid? Of course not. I have simply taken a game and made it more palletable to my tastes.
    Really, Doom 3 is so mundane and samey I can't belive it. What is the point in "re envisaging" the original Doom? Surely, Id should have aimed at something more ambitious, something with sparc and life?

Russell

24. stakyl

stakyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but looking around every corner IS the point of the game. Not mindlessly running around killing loads of enemies. If you want that go buy painkiller or something.

The game never loses its atmosphere. The game is in a league of its own when it comes to audible and visual stimulation.

Also, if you change the taste of your coffee by adding said ingredients or if you add a boost controller to your car can you still make an adequate review of the initial product? No.

Lastly, what difficulty are you playing it on?

25. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The game is great, the sound great and the graphics fantastic. I have spent £25 on far worse games than this.
    Considering the first computer game with graphics I ever played was city bomber on the Sinclair zx81 which used 1k of memory I think we have come a long way.

Heres to the next 20 years

Darren

26. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be re-playing this game, but on nightmare next time :)

I've just got through the Hell level and that was excellent.

The game is a remake of the original doom series - this is what ID told us at the start.

And no, the whole game does not look the same. Play it from start to finish first before you make that comment.

27. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    have been playing this for a while and too be honest im getting a tad bored.
    it makes me jump a lot, but its the same all the time !! whoosh whoosh noise kill the fire throwing imps, shoot the soldiers same old Ai all the time.

no room to manovere, pick up PDAs unlock doors its very samey

half life original is way better than this roll on the next installment.

looks nice though

28. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any self respecting marine going into battle with the hordes of hell down dark corridors and in pitch black areas infested with Satan's demonic filth would surely have the simple common sense to tape a torch to his bloody gun! Wouldn't he? Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way in a game where the point of the exercise is to control panic and destroy your enemies without wimping out with a torch stuck to your gun. Nonetheless, I tried the duct tape mod and found it actually made matters worse as the illumination spread was far less than the regular torch. Once I'd mapped the torch to button 3 of my Trackman it was a simple and quick operation to look around with the torch then swap to a weapon when the beasties appeared. I must concede that id got the torch thing right.

Doom 3 looks fantastic but the scare gimmick bores after a while and isn't actually that scary. I suppose if I'm honest I'd have to say that I'm looking forward more to other games using the D3 engine, or even the release of a mission pack with a bit more variety.

Whilst I am disappointed with the game I have to say that watching the Doom 3 Nerds video cracked me up. Those kids squealing like little girls and hiding behind pillows with their eyes popping out of their head killed me.

29. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That says it all really I just borrowed the game and got bored before the Zombies even appeared. Fighting in darkness and being attacked by zombies behind doors you've just opened just doesn't seem fun to me. When the manual says to save often you know there's a problem. It's crazy that I still haven't found a FPS that was a satisfying to play as System Shock 2 and how long ago was that released?

30. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Have you tried the theif series or Deus ex?

If you locking for a well scripted intense shooter give call of duty a go too:)