Doom 3 flies on nVidia hardware

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by CENSORED, Jul 23, 2004.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [H]ardOCP have tested Doom3 with the finest ATI and nVidia have to offer and it looks like the optimisations id built in for nVidia hardware have well and truly stuffed ATI. The GeForce 6800 Ultra was pitted against the X800XT-PE and blew it away from the off. In fact the GeForce 6800GT was also thrown into the mix and proceeded to stuff the ATI hardware as well, the GT being the Ultra's little brother and a full $£100 cheaper than the X800!!! Obviously Doom3 is bound to shine on nVidia hardware because of the licensing tie-in but John Carmack was at pains to let players on much less well specified machines know that the Doom3 experience will be every bit as satisfying.

Looks like first blood to nVidia then. Now lets see what Valve can do with Half Life 2 to redress the balance in ATI's favour.

2. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the flip side Half Life 2 flies on ATI's stuff.

Both are games are heavily optimised for each manufacturer.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I'm sure which ever next gen card anyone buy's will make either game look luvly :D
    I couldn't hold out any longer and received my 6800 GT today. :clap:
    Every one appears to be able to clock these cards to ultra speeds (me included) and benefit from the performance increase this provides. Even at stock speeds this card is awesome getting over 10k in 3dmark2003 on my avarage spec'd system.
    I'm no Nvidiot fanboy by the way (I've upgraded from a 9700pro which gave me sterling performance for two years :smashin: ) I just thought the GT's seemed very good value for money (I paid £317) and wouldn't be so cpu limited initially (I've only got an XP2700+).
    Once ATI sorts out it's opengl drivers I'm sure the fps gap will close somewhat on Doom3 based games :lesson:

game on I say :devil: