Don't worry about TV warranties.

Mastbruch

Standard Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong section as not sure where to put it.

Thought I would just share my story about not having a TV warranty but most of you probably now and how sales assistants try and sell you this these.
I purchased the first LED Samsung 55 inch in 2009 for £2799 from currys and was very pleased with the TV looks etc.

It was 2 Saturdays ago I switched the TV and noticed what looked like horizontal lines shooting through the screen and thought hear we go I am stuffed as my warranty was only for a year and I am now 2 years outside this and didn't take out extra cover.

I then phoned up currys(knowhow) team and began to explain them about my troubles with the TV where they began to ask what warranty cover do I a have at this point I said I have no warranty whatsoever.
But I would like to use the sales of good act 1979 where I have legally 6 years to claim damage repairs, replacement etc.

The customer service advisor then said yes that's fine Mr """" we need to book you in for a driver to collect the TV and work out if it's a manufacturer problem all you need to do is pay £95 which will be refunded immediately if it's a Samsung fault.

5 days later received a phonecall from currys(knowhow) team explaining its a manufacturer fault your £95 has now been refunded and we are waiting for a new screen from Samsung which I knew at this point I would be getting a refund as Samsung screen for this type of model would cost currys an arm and a leg.

Anyway received a call saying we can't get the parts for your Samsung which I knew they would say that, but we are Going to give you a partial refund of £1150.

All I can say is what a superb service from currys it was and after that I don't think I would buy a TV again from anyone else.

Mr-Bananas

So NOT buying a warranty ended up costing you £1650..................brilliant !!

If you had bought the TV from a good retailer like Richer Sounds, the would have charged 10% for a five year warranty.

You would have received a brand new TV that would only have cost you £300.

Better still, buy from John Lewis then you get a free 5 year warranty.

(Why anyone would buy anything from Currys is beyond me).

Last edited:

Mastbruch

Standard Member
Unfortuantly many of us didn't know about forums like this where advice on certain outlets are better then others.

Right so I've lost £1650 you say, now I wanted to upgrade my TV to a 3D now supposing nothing was wrong with this except the 9 inch scratch my boy done with his racing car, how much do you think someone would Of paid for a over 3 year old TV with just the basics?

Do you think someone would of give me £1200 the answer is No they wouldn't because people want new TVs with 3d etc which my TV didn't hAve.

Mr-Bananas

I am really confused now :confused:

Your thread is titled 'Don't worry about TV warranties'.

But based on your experience, it would have been FAR better if you had an extended warranty.

More importantly, it would have been better for you if you had bought the TV from a decent retailer. (surely everyone knows what Currys/Dixons/PC World are like for customer Service).

Last edited:

arenaman

But based on your experience, it would have been FAR better if you had an extended warranty.

More importantly, it would have been better for you if you had bought the TV from a decent retailer. (surely everyone knows what Currys/Dixons/PC World are like for customer Service).

Assuming the same circumstances that the OP has would an extended warranty give you your full money back after 3 years?

Mastbruch

Standard Member

You seem to be missing the point of my post.

Maybe the title of the thread was wrong but my point is I was trying to get across was many customers who don't know about richer sounds etc and have purchased a non warranty TV and been fobbed off by currys is that using the sales of good act that there is hope of getting something back.

I don't give a monkies about £1600 the fact and the post is about is without using SOGS I would noe be sitting at home with a worthless TV that don't work.

I am sure others understand what point I am trying to make.

Last edited:

arenaman

Mastbruch, I get what you're saying. If a 5yr warranty gives you your full money back in that period then you're well out of pocket. If it just gets you a repair or equivalent spec replacement then what's the point? you've been given that under the SOGA.

I got a free 5yr warranty with JL so it could be relevant to me in the future.

whitehart

So NOT buying a warranty ended up costing you £1650..................brilliant !!

If you had bought the TV from a good retailer like Richer Sounds, the would have charged 10% for a five year warranty.

You would have received a brand new TV that would only have cost you £300.

Better still, buy from John Lewis then you get a free 5 year warranty.

(Why anyone would buy anything from Currys is beyond me).

they not so bad compared to comet, but obviously John Lewis is the best choice and to be fair there still is no richer sounds near me and theres (only just, been a John Lewis appeared in town)

So I purchased from the nearest retailer which was at the time currys/pcworld. However now we have a JL things will be different

ben2579

That's sounds like a good deal to me! If u had the warranty then u would have had the tv replaced with a newer similar model. Without the warranty you replaced it with a newer similar model! And saved the 300 pounds on warranty! What would you have got for it second hand - very little!! Having said that not sure I would be quite confident to go with curry's yet!!

vinny41

Mastbruch, I get what you're saying. If a 5yr warranty gives you your full money back in that period then you're well out of pocket. If it just gets you a repair or equivalent spec replacement then what's the point? you've been given that under the SOGA.

I got a free 5yr warranty with JL so it could be relevant to me in the future.

JL used a depreciation calculator to deduct usage normally 20% per year
so if the op had purchased tv with jl as same price jl would have offered in the region of £1450

arenaman

JL used a depreciation calculator to deduct usage normally 20% per year
so if the op had purchased tv with jl as same price jl would have offered in the region of £1450

Thanks, I suppose that's fair enough, it seems that the OP has had a decentish deal then, I'm assuming the TV they ended up with was better spec than a 2009 Model.

vinny41

Thanks, I suppose that's fair enough, it seems that the OP has had a decentish deal then, I'm assuming the TV they ended up with was better spec than a 2009 Model.
this is what the op had and replaced with

Hi everyone my first post.

Previously owned a UE557020 led which I loved to bits until 3 weeks ago horizontal lines came across the screen and being out of warrenty phoned up knowhow(currys) and used the sales of good act 1979 where they gave me a partial payment of £1200 what I was sort of pleased with considering my 55 led was £2700.

Anyway took my credit note upto to currys and decided to go for a plasma as I am led to believe these are excellent for football etc.
I decided to go for the ps60E550 Samsung and so far I am very impressed with the whole layout and was quite impressed with how thinner the plasma as got compared to 5 years ago.
Now hooked my new 60 up to some pioneers.

All in All I never thought I would leave the LED and chose a plasma but I am over the moon with the pictures quality.

couple of point to remember the £1150 credit note from currys was most likely their opening offer if pushed op might have received another £100-150
if you have a tv purchased with the free 5 year warranty from JL and the tv goes wrong after 4 years they will offer you what they belive is a suitable replacement but with no extension on the warranty however if you request an upgrade of what they are offering i.e paying the extra between what they are offering and the next model up then a new 5 year warranty will kick in

Last edited:

Mastbruch

Standard Member

I agree don't think it was that bad a deal in the end.

I must admit the close up colours were better on my old LED but so far so good with the plasma, TBH I am just happy it's brand new and it also gives me an excuse to buy a new TV stand in the next week.

Mr-Bananas

You seem to be missing the point of my post.

Maybe the title of the thread was wrong but my point is I was trying to get across was many customers who don't know about richer sounds etc and have purchased a non warranty TV and been fobbed off by currys is that using the sales of good act that there is hope of getting something back.

I don't give a monkies about £1600 the fact and the post is about is without using SOGS I would noe be sitting at home with a worthless TV that don't work.

I am sure others understand what point I am trying to make.

Fair enough, with your experience obviously getting anything back was a bonus.

However, for me I would always prefer to have a nice 5 year warranty either for free, or for a reasonable cost (The 10% Richer Sounds deal is very decent deal me thinks).

Even with no warranty, retailers like John Lewis or Richer Sounds are far more likely to look after their customers than most others.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom