Dont Watch This While Supping Hot Coffee!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PaulBoy, Nov 30, 2000.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    How about comparing notes on bits of film that make you jump out of your skin ?
    The "coffee" incident mentioned in the title was whilst watching The Firebird Suite on Fantasia 2000 - The start is really quiet and all of a sudden the whole orchestra kicks in (I still have the scars on this one)
    Another one I can think of straight away happens to be music too on Tubular Bells II right at the end when the fireworks go off - the sub goes mental and ups the volume by about 50%
    Anyone care to share some similar moments ?
    PS If you fancy Fantasia 2000 the R1 is far superior (see my earlier thread on this one)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

2. Hezzer

Hezzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although its not a particularly good movie, What Lies Beneath has plenty of 'jump' factor. We had synchronised leaping in the cinema - quite impressive really!

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Jaws

Head bobbing out of boat.

Nuff said.

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Oh and Paulboy

I saw Fantasia 2000 on the ole IMax and thought it was utter crap.

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Ono - It probably helps if you like Classical music and/or animation but everyone is entitled to their opinion ...
    I think the DVD is brill and as I have said B4 best to get the R1 as you get DTS & extras not on the "£20 if you're lucky" R2 version ... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    When I bought the brilliant 'Highlander' on AC3 Laserdisc,I was blown away by the sound. (I'd only had it on video previously).

There's a bit in this film where roxanne is tied to the neon sign on the rooftop.We see the highlander arrive on the scene and starts looking for her then suddenly, there's this really LOUD scream from the rear left speaker - It scared the bejesus out of me!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gargoyle...is that the 10th Anniversarry edition of Highlander in the tri-fold sleeve with embossed cover?

If so....great isn't it!
    It kinda shows the DVD up for what it is both in the quality and presentation side of things...utter rubbish!

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    jason
    Its the tri-folder edition.
    For years, I'v had to put up with bog standard video's and could'nt get my hands on the old ntsc laserdisc so when I heard that an Ac3 version was being released, I nearly had an orgasm!
    On recieving the said film and marvelling at the cover (DVD'S just arent the same),was impressed by what they'd done to this version-picture wise,it's not bad-I'v seen better, but the sound is simply phenomenal-check out the explosions in the car park and on the roof in the finale. Queen never sounded better.
    GARGOYLE

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gargoyle -

If you think that the picture is not bad on the Ld of Highlander you want to watch the DVD version.

I am sure most people who own this DVD will agree that it is one of the worst looking pictures available and that the LD is so much better than it.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

10. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, what the hell went wrong with the DVD version. I am glad I didn't get rid of my LD version when I "replaced" it.

Does THX actually mean anything?