Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Don't want to waste the KEFs...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by majak, Feb 8, 2003.

1. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just bought KEF Q5 fronts and KEF Q9C.

Got the KEFs second handed, and now I want to buy rears and a receiver. The thing is that I'm on a tight budget and as alternatives for receiver I'm thinking of:
    Yamaha RXV630
    or Pioneer VSXD-711

Will either of them "ruin" the sound of the speakers.

Furthermore I have to buy rears. Thinking about Q1, but they seem expensive and big, so I don't know what to match the KEFs with. Would like to get hold of rears at £100ish, but that might ruin the sound as well?...?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How about a Denon 3802 for £494 new, or maybe a second hand 3801/2, should be able to get one for £350 or so.

3. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the opinion, but I'd probably have to say that the Denon is a bit above my price level. I live in sweden, thus it's a rather limited second hand market....

//Tomas

4. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi majak

Just a thought but for your rears you could go for the Kef Q8's, I have demoed these and are very good if not aesthetically pleasing, black boxes:

Q8's

I personally have the yammy dsp 630 and run a set of Q35.2's and a Q95.2 C at the front and it drives them fine. IMO the yammy doesn't do everything in the music department but for movies it is excellent.

I have added a Rotel pre/power amp setup for 2ch and driving the fronts for movies and it has really opened up the speakers.

petrolhead uses the Q1's, Q9C & Q8's and it sounds excellent, all very well ballanced, clear detailed but with real grunt when you need it.

Can't advise on anything else, I'm afraid, but I don't think you will be disssapointed with the yammy 630 and Q8's. There was a pair up for sale on the classifieds section at £80, a bargain, but you've just missed them :( However there is a set of Q85.2's a bit older but should still fit in just as well, I was thinking of getting them but have spent too much recently ;) :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66688

Hope this helps.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

5. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Seems as if yammy is the way to go for the receiver. As I said I live in sweden, I think I can get the yammy for an affordable price. It's worse on the Q-8s, the cheapest dealer I found in sweden charges approx £285!! Which is way to expensive, as I said earlier £100 - top £150 is more within my budget. The used ones you mentioned seems attractive, but I guess that both me and the seller might feel uncomfortable buying/selling abroad...

Anybody know a good site that sells KEF for "good" prices?

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about that majak, lots of members trade/sell between Ireland and the UK. I am sure magking (hope I've got his name right) got a velodyne sub (godzilla) delivered to Norway.

Must be worth asking, delivery can't be that much for a realtively small item (in comparison with the sub that is).

Regards

7. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps your right, I'll have a look and see what can be done. In some way i will get below £280 for the rears :)

8. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    majak

You haven't mentioned what size your room is?? the Q8's will fill a big space!! I am currently using a pair of Monitor Audio Baby Boomers for my rears and they are great for a room of 4.5 x 4 mtrs.

I have a spare pair of these speakers with 2 years manufacturers warranty still left on them, we could maybe strike a deal, if you get really stuck!! I was going to use them for 7.1, eventually, but may go for Kef's all around.

Baby Boomers

They are finished in Cherry by the way, lmk how you get on.

regards

9. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer. But I'm afraid that finish will be totally impossible for me to bring home, will be beaten really hard if I do :)

Actually I don't even know if I'm allowed to put up black rears, the KEFs are in the light wood finish, don't know what it's called. Obviously my girlfriend wants the rears to be in the same/similar finish (like all girl friends/wifes)... :p

Guess she narrows my possibilities a bit :)

Actually started thinking about Tannoy MX1, but my guess is that they wont be light-finished enough for her. The only speakers I've seen in the same finish in the budget range is Eltax, and I don't wanna go there...

Having a hard time? who me? Yes, absolutely :(

10. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs m8

Hope you get sorted, women eh!!!! :laugh:

Regards

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have Q1s / Q9c for fronts with a yammy 630 and its marvellous. I have Tannoy MX1s for the rears and they do a pretty good job to be honest. If funds are tight & you aren't after MC music then look for a cheap pair of quality speakers rather than worrying about timbre matching.

12. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilber,

Totally agree with you, had a look at the Tannoys a couple of weeks ago. Cheap and good sounding.
    But my girl friend didn't like the finish (beech). Don't underestimate her powers when it comes to interior decoration :p

I might have a look at the M71 or Infinity Alpha 5 or 10, i believe that they are slightly lighter in the finish (beech as well). Perhaps one of these suckers might slip in unnoticed in the appartment...

Sens moral: A man without a woman can buy speakers for the sound, a man with a woman has to buy speakers for the looks.... :-S

13. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you seen the Mission M70 or ehat about the kef coda 70 ?

Both have excellent reputations and would nake rather nice rear speakers

14. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KEF Coda seems attractive, but a bit expensive. I'll probably settle for some black speakers, it seems as if that would be ok for my girl friend... Think I'll try a black pair of Mission M70 or M71, can get them for a decent price at my local. And if I don't like'm I can always return them.

God damn all speaker manufacturers not producing in Maple finish ;)

15. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mirage, Energy and Paradigm ought to.;)

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: