Don't want screw to go through brick into chimney cavity? is 50mm screw length ok?

swift02

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to mount my 50" plasma (PS50A556 bought in 2008) to chimney wall (external chimney so wall is flat).
A relative has given me their universal mount which they never used. The screws are 100mm long which is the width of the brick.
I don't want to drill through the brick into the chimney cavity as this may let fumes into the living room if we use the gas fire again.

Can I use a smaller length screw around 50mm i.e. half brick width?
or anyone recommend a mount that comes with smaller length screws and is capable of holding up a 50" plasma.

Any suggestions on how best I proceed with this gladly appreciated.
Thx.

thanks for the heads up - I don't know much about these different types of fixings (I've only used the old fashioned plastic plugs - very much a diy phobe) - it does look good tho - I noticed to the right, it shows a masonary anchor Given its going into brick (masonary) would this be a better suit plus its shorter at 55mm. Also how do you work out what length/size etc will be suitable?

Last edited:
I've been doing quite a lot of reading around the web and on a whole bunch of previous threads.
There seems to be few people who have had problems with anchors in that they spin around and also probs if you over tighten them. Many people seem to have had no problems with plastic rawl plugs and screws around 65mm. If no one has any major concerns I might just use these, the mount that I have given to me is a fairly old one - omnimount u3 tilt - not sure whether to buy an up to date mount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom