Don't understand

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monkey Alan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I will be getting a 720i projecter soon mainly for the xbox 360 an sky hd. I recently learnt that dvd's aren't in hd, so why are people raving about how good hd is when there dvd collection is gonna need completly replaced. I read something on here about dvd players that convert normal dvd to higher hd resolution using the hdmi socket, is this true, should I be looking at getting one of these dvd players. :confused:

Basically I don't know if I'm wasting my money on a 720i projector an should just get a 480 instead as I will be watching alot of dvds on it.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Something shot and displayed in HD 720P is very impressive.

DVD's are standard definition. There are some players that can upscale Standard Definition into High Definition resolution but this is not the same as proper High Def itself.

If your PJ is HD compatible then it should handle 720P and whatever SD signal you feed it via YUV and HDMI will be upscaled into it's native res. Simply because the PJ has to upscale in order to fill out the display.

The point of these upscaling players or indeed and external Scaler is that they make a better job of upscaling the res than what your PJ might manage. An external scaler will almost exclusively do a far better job, whereas an upscaling DVD might or might not make a good job of it. General concensus says that a sub £250 player will not do as good as what your display device could do. This of course depends on what quality of PJ you choose. Of course this is also open to differing results dependent on the multitude of combinations of products.

3. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the reply thats cleared things up I my head abit. So I assume pal dvds will look better upscaled onto a 720p pj than downscaled onto a 480 pj?

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    No not necessarily so. There is a school of thought that says for a scaler to downscale the end results are likely better than upscaling. I'll let you experiment to come to your own conclusion.

A SD DVD is exactly that and nothing can perform the miracle to convert it to HD. However to scale it upto 720P the scaler has to introduce the additional res that was never there to begin with. The result nevetheless can still be very good but I feel more often than not upscaled material is quite often softened. Then again this all depends on the quality of components involved.

The very best results are achieved when the res of the source matches that of the native res of the display.Which is why an external scaler or HTPC produce the very best results. Here you can match the exact display res and achieve 1:1 pixel matching.

5. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for your replys its helped me understand things better. I decided to go for a 720p pj (panasonic ae700) in the end. So atleast I'll be set for the new games consoles an sky hd and as for dvd's I'll just have to wait an see how they look, hopefully i'll be impressed :) . If not I'll just have to wait for proper hd dvds. :D Thanks again.