Don't trust coverage maps - can you borrow sims?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by richard plumb, Jul 3, 2015.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    I've just been made redundant so amongst other things I need to sort out my own mobile phone contract (or PAYG). Up until now I've had a company provided Vodafone SIM, but the signal is poor where we live, pans I often get dropped calls before I even get to answer them. But their online coverage checker says I should be fine. So I am considering other networks but am wary of what their maps say too.

I tried a virgin SIM which wasn't good, so I think that means O2 would be bad too? And three wasn't much better. So does that only leave me with orange/EE or stick with VF?

Do any shops like Carphone Warehouse loan out SIMs from different networks so you can see which has the best signal before buying?

2. depot

depot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I belive virginmdedia use the EE network. Which really leaves you with the 02 network, get a Giffgaff or tescomobile sim to try, they both use 02.

I have a works vodafone mobile and the signal is rubbish, used to use tesco (02) and it was much better,
    Now have just changed to Asda mobile (uses EE) and i find the signal to be great.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Thanks. What is the cheapest way - if I grab some Payg sims and don't top up, can I call them from another phone to check reception?

4. depot

depot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I picked up a Asda Payg sim, i did also buy five pounds of credit, and then tok it around with me and did speed tests for the internet connecton.

While where i live vodafone were bad for phone calls and useless for the internet,
    both 02 and EE have been fine for voice calls

5. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    You can get free PAYG SIMS from all the major networks online and then either call them from another phone or just top up the minimum amount to test coverage.

Another option is that if you take out any tariff online, you will have a minimum 7 day cooling off period to test the SIM. If within 7 days you're not happy, simply return it to terminate the contract and just pay for whatever you used.