1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't pay for food at a restaurant !

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by richjthorpe, Sep 9, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Heard this on the radio yesterday. Apparently if you go into a reastaurant and the standard of the meal doesn't match the cost of it, you are able to pay the amount you think it is worth as long as you leave your contact details and the reason for doing so.

Where does that leave McDonalds where the burgers don't look anything like the pictures ? :D

Richie.

2. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Perhaps that's why you pay up front in McDonalds.I read recently that there is a decent restaurant,in London I think,where there are no prices on the menu and you pay what you feel the meal was worth.The owners said that they obviously get the occasional people who leave a few pence,but that in general people actually leave more than would have been charged and the restaurant was doing very well.Perhaps it's a reflection on the British psyche.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That sounds like a cool restaurant. Can you remember what it was called ?

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,243
    Correct. If you don't pay at all, then its a criminal offence, but by paying for what you think the meal is worth, it can only ever be a civil offence if you pay less.

6. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not true, If you agree to the price on the menu then you pay the price or you are commiting an offence. One place doing this deal does not make it legal everywhere. As for Mcdonalds if you complain then you will get it free but that is customer service and not a legal requirment.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hey, McDonalds don't lie on their advertising ! When they say it's 100% beef, it is - they just don't tell you which part of the cow you're eating :rolleyes: :eek: :suicide:

8. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Not sure that it is an offence. I'd've thought that it'd be a matter of contract. They could seek to recover their monies through a breach of contract action. I'm sure that a lawyer will be along shortly to explain or correct me!!! :D

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that you are right.

If you bought any other goods that were not of satisfactory quality, you wouldn't be committing a criminal offence by not wanting to pay full price for them. I'm pretty sure the same principle will apply here.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Here's the lawyer... :D

Okay, as I understand it, if an establishement has a price list on display (in any form, be it a menu, as a poster, or near the tills), you are obligated to pay that price, irrespective of whether you think it's justified or not.

However, if the food you receive is not up to a "reasonable standard" (one that you should expect, as a human being to be what you are paying for), then you can complain about it. Most establishement, will offer you a reduction on the set price of the food you bought, or a refund, or voucher, or partial refund. They don't want the hassle and potential negative publicity.

But, in restaurants (and only sit-down restuarants), if you believe a meal is not to the required standard, AND your complaint has not been listened too, you can pay what you feel you owe for the substandard food/drink, but you must leave honest credentials in the form of name, full address, and a contact telephone number.

A restaurant can then either, try to take you to a small-claims court (or threaten you with the possibility of small-claims court action) and get the rest of the money, plus any fees they feel justified in obtaining from you, because of the hassle they've had in getting you to cough-up. Or, they can simply do away with you, take what you paid, and potentially black-list you from their restaurant/restaurant chain, if they so desire.

However, you are NOT legally allowed to simply pay what you feel the food is worth, if none of the above applies. You are obliged to give the establishement a chance to rectify the problem, otherwise you can be prosecuted for "Obtaining Services And Goods By Deception". This can lead to potential imprisonment, for upto 3 months, depending on the circumstances. (More often than not, it would be a fine, in the £250-£500 range though! Hardly worth it, for not paying for your meal in full though.)

Also, places like McDonalds where the food never resembles what you see in the ads, and on the posters, has been challenged in US Court of Law. I believe they are allowed to get away with this, under "Artistic Licence" in advertising their products. As such, you'd unlikely get away with trying to sue them because their Happy Chav Meal isn't as nice as the one in the picture.

Lastly, the best way of getting "revenge" on any establishment you really feel is constantly selling substandard food/drink, is to never return, tell all your friends, relatives and families never to go there, and use the power of the internet to get other people on your side. It worked for the McLibel couple! :)

Pooch

ADDENDUM: None of the above should be taken literally, or as being 100% guaranteed legal advice. It's purely for use on an advisory level only, in relation to this particular thread of discussion. Any punishments or problems are to be taken on a case-by-case basis, between you and the establishment that you ate/drank at, and you should seek advice from a solicitor, lawyer or other nationally-recognised advice body (like th Citizens Advice Bureau), for definitive legal advice!

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Don't eat in restaurants with pictures on the menus. :lesson:

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What about Kebab huts ?

Thanks for that Pooch, I'll remember it when I get a poor meal and nothing off the price.

Richie.

13. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little Chef has a 'no quibble' notice. If the food quality is poor you don't have to pay. Used it yesterday and had no problems. Paid for drinks plus one sandwich, other three platefuls were not fit to eat. Vote with my feet next time but we had little choice where to eat on the M1 at 20:00 on a Sunday evening