Don't Look Up (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

This film was so funny, if you see how its mirroring a lot of what is happening around the world today.

I don’t think anyone didn’t see that, it’s rammed in your face every scene. It’s the while point of the film. That’s like saying, did you notice Rocky had some boxing in it? In fact it almost ruined it for me, in terms of how over played it was.

That said, I personally I really enjoyed it. Much better than a 5/10, I would give it a sold 7. I thought the comedy was great, not in your face nonsense and not trying to be too clever either. I was let down by how ‘messagey’ and cliched it was. Some of the troupes like ‘wasn’t Trump really stupid’ had kind of been done to death now.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone didn’t see that, it’s rammed in your face every scene. That’s like saying, did you notice Rocky had some boxing in it? In fact it almost ruined it for me, in terms of how over played it was.

That said, I personally I really enjoyed it. Much better than a 5/10, I would give it a sold 7. I thought the comedy was great, not in your face nonsense and not trying to be too clever either. I was let down by how ‘messagey’ and cliched it was. Some of the troupes like ‘wasn’t Trump really stupid’ had kind of been done to death now.
All that is part of its charm... No point about subtle hints.

Before my wife and I watched this we had heard the synopsis on the BBC with Brian Cox and both agreed that there would only be one ending we would be happy with - so we'd give it a 7 simply because the ending didn't disappoint :D
you should definitely write books for kids :)

I really enjoyed this movie. It said a lot that needed to be said IMO. DeCaprio and Laurence were great, as was Johah Hill. 8/10 from me.

Laughing at those with attention spans of ants who turned it off after 20 minutes - exactly the sort of clowns the movie was complaining about.

Also I hope most people here including reviewer Tom stayed around to watch the TWO END CREDIT scenes? Because they were unmissable!

Enjoyed this. Silly and some of the quips and digs at power were a bit clunky, but it was good fun and very close to the mark in the reality of modern identity politics and social media.

When the trailer was released I thought this film would be a typical American comedy with OTT acting and no subtlety, and given Netflix's track record of average to poor original movies, it looked like one to skip, regardless of the cast. After some persuasion I did sit down to watch it a couple nights ago.

I was pleasently surprised that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the trailer made it look and I actually enjoyed it. A very savage look at modern society, media, the cult of celebrity, consumerism politics and the people in power. It really makes you think how far we as a society have fallen as it's too similar to reality. It's quite sobering when you realise that so much of the odious characters in the movie are based on real people.

7.5/10

Thought it was terrible...

Similar to The Worlds End you end up hating the key characters very quickly. Clunky political humor that tbh wasn't well done at all and frequently misses the mark. Yes it got a couple of chuckle moments but thats 2+ hours of my life im not getting back.

I would probably go with a 6. None of characters where particularly well written and the science was nonsense as well as the ending. But acting was ok, the exploitation angle likely and politics was amusing.

I wonder if it's a rewording position to become a science advisor on a film set. I guess at times you need to compromise science to make the science-related scene more spectacular.

I wonder if it's a rewording position to become a science advisor on a film set. I guess at times you need to compromise science to make the science-related scene more spectacular.
I think you almost certainly risk looking a bit silly, as artistic license tends to kick in (and probably contradicts your advice).

With DLU, I don’t think most people are expecting scientific accuracy. After all, it’s a comedy.

Watched this tonight, very enjoyable and it felt like exactly what would happen in today’s fudgeed up world.

8/10 for me.

One of the most on point satire genre film for ages. This is excellent film with an extremely competent cast acting their roles excellently.

From Bash to POTUS, all well portrayed satirical figures which reflect the real like respective figures rather well!

I thoroughly throughly enjoyed the film.

"Don’t Look Up” hit a record high for the most hours a movie has been viewed on Netflix in a week, according to the company.

"Don’t Look Up” hit a record high for the most hours a movie has been viewed on Netflix in a week, according to the company.
Yes, one of the papers had an article saying that the movie has been a hit with viewers, despite sniffy reviews from some of the critics.

I thought it was very enjoyable. I think the criticism that it isn’t subtle is a bit harsh for satirical comedy. Is Dr Strangelove subtle? Don’t think so.

this was pretty funny, not what i was expecting so quite refreshing
was a tad too long
bad president sprung to mind when they first encountered meryl streep et al

I thought it was very enjoyable. I think the criticism that it isn’t subtle is a bit harsh for satirical comedy. Is Dr Strangelove subtle? Don’t think so.
I have never understood the whole "it's not subtle" my thought to that has always been "and so what?"

Hey, setting a new record. 152.59 million hours in one week. That's pretty cool on one hand and terrifying on the other.

Just watched this, saw the trailer a while ago and thought it look intriguing then heard nothing from anyone about this and almost forgot about it.

Much better than I expected
I’ve always said if I could make a disaster film I’d do it properly and everyone dies, part way through the film I thought here we go typical scientists saying it how it is, everyone ignores them yeah yeah then magically they’re saved, but nope :D

I got round to watching it a couple of days ago. Not bad at all, good cast and storyline although at 2h 40m it was stretching it a bit. Not a film I'll rush back to watch again but will watch again in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom