Don't Look Now & The Man Who Fell To Earth from Optimum

John Hodson

Coming from Optimum at the end of March:

Don't Look Now (1973)

Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie star in Nic Roeg’s brilliantly atmospheric adaptation of the novel by Daphne du Maurier. Following the death of their daughter, John and Laura Baxter travel to Venice where John is to oversee the restoration of an old church. Here they encounter a pair of elderly sisters, one of them a blind psychic who claims to have been in communication with the couple’s dead child. Whilst Laura is intrigued John resists the idea, despite the possibility that he is having his own visions that threaten to put his life in danger. A genuinely unsettling and beautifully atmospheric film with a startling climax, Don't Look Now is widely acknowledged as perhaps Roeg’s finest film and one of the best British films of the late twentieth century.

Boasting a new, restored high definition transfer, the disc will have the following extra features:

* Commentary by director Nicolas Roeg;
* Looking Back documentary on the making of the film;
* Interview with composer Pino Donaggio;
* Introduction by Alan Jones;
* Compressed version of Don’t Look Now made by Danny Boyle for BAFTA tribute (new);
* Interview with Danny Boyle (new);
* Interview with co-screenwriter Allan Scott (new);
* Interview with director of photography Tony Richmond (new);
* Interview with leading man Donald Sutherland (new).

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

Crash landing on Earth from his dying planet, an alien humanoid travelling by the name of Thomas Jerome Newton (David Bowie) uses his superior intelligence to build a vast business empire. As he takes on, and beats, every major US corporation, people can only guess his true purpose – to save his dying world from drought.

Newton’s ageless fall from grace, as he becomes prey to lust, alcohol, business rivals and the US Government makes The Man Who Fell To Earth not only a bitingly caustic indictment of the modern world but also a poignant commentary on the loneliness of the outsider. Also starring Candy Clark, Rip Torn and Buck Henry and based on the cult novel by Walter Tevis.

Featuring a new, restored high definition transfer, the release will have the following extras:

* Interview with director Nic Roeg;
* Watching the Alien documentary feature;
* Theatrical trailer;
* Interview with cinematographer Tony Richmond (new);
* Interview with screenwriter Paul Mayersberg (new);
* Interview with actress Candy Clark (new).

Best price thus far is at MovieMail - £12.34 using offer code DVDPC5 (5% off)

DICKIEDUVET

March can't come quick enough now, Great to see some new features on these releases.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Man Who Fell to Earth - that's another title I can potentially strike off my Criterions wants list. Here's hoping Optimum don't drop the ball on this. Same for Don't look Now.

Number 6

Both must buys for me... March seems an age away!

Anybody know what happened to the Don't Look Now Blu ? It doesn't have a release date anymore. This was the release I was looking forward to most this year. :(

John Hodson

Don't Look Now review.

And it really is all good - great - news. My copy arrived this AM and a quick run through reveals that Don't Look Now looks truly fabulous, it's breathtakingly clean, with great colour and, finally, it sounds great. It's an astonishing upgrade from both the US and UK SD DVDs. I am overjoyed.

BTW, Region B locked.

TheDot

Goy my despatch email for Don't Look Now from HMV this morning :) Can't wait to finally check this classic out.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Don't Look Now review.

And it really is all good - great - news. My copy arrived this AM and a quick run through reveals that Don't Look Now looks truly fabulous, it's breathtakingly clean, with great colour and, finally, it sounds great. It's an astonishing upgrade from both the US and UK SD DVDs. I am overjoyed.

BTW, Region B locked.
From that review, I note:

Some sequences seem a little more biased towards green than in the DVD versions...

OY! DON'T START!

:rotfl:

Steve W

Last edited:

DICKIEDUVET

My copy arrived today too, Odd as I didn't get a despatch mail till this morning from Sainsbury's. Anyway as John say's it looks stunning, Over the moon :clap:

Nice slipcover as well ;)

[/IMG]

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Man Who Fell to Earth - that's another title I can potentially strike off my Criterions wants list. Here's hoping Optimum don't drop the ball on this. Same for Don't look Now.
Is man who fell to earth oop on criterion now? Some silly prices on amazon and b&n.

DICKIEDUVET

Yep, Went oop some while ago, I have had both releases and preferred the look of the UK edition tbh.

dannydj

Yep, Went oop some while ago, I have had both releases and preferred the look of the UK edition tbh.
me too and prefer the criterion, although love the uk artwork. can't believe this is actually out as the date was always changed, might have to buy this today as its easily in my top 5 of all time

DICKIEDUVET

Watched Don't Look Now tonight.

Just gets better with age and with every subsequent viewing, Always notice something new every time I watch it.

The Blu-Ray looks fantastic for the most part, There are a few shots that look very soft. The 1st close-up shot of Sutherland in the house at the beginning looks very soft in comparison to the opening titles but only lasts for a few seconds. The exterior footage in Venice looks stunning and the colours look amazing, Especially Red ;)

Actually sat down and watched all the extras too which is a rarity for me. Saved Roeg's Commentary for tomorrow. Can't recommend this highly enough :thumbsup:

My copy of Don't Look Now arrived this morning. Just out of curiosity, what's that still from on the right on the back of the cover ? A man and a woman with long brown hair in a green dress ? Having seen the film about ten times, I don't remember this. :confused:

John Hodson

That's the scene at the school; where Laura and John's son was injured.

bosque

When you think of films which have a very good sense of place, like say 400 Blows and Paris, Don't Look Now probably has the greatest sense of place in depicting Venice. I haven't been there but having seen the movie a couple of times it's almost seared in my memory.

Robert S

Definitely. I've visited there once, during the winter, and for me, Roeg absolutely captures its eerie, darkly romantic atmosphere.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
We went in the summer at the height of the tourist season. Disney would have been best placed to capture the atmosphere as it was like a blooody theme park.

John Hodson

I respect the right of anyone's opinion, but frankly, anyone who damns the disc on a bunch of screenshots without seeing it in motion themselves wants their bumps feeling; another review

Guess my comment above was too good to be true eh? :D

BTW, watched it through tonight - if this is not THE perfect movie, a flawless piece of film-making, then it's damned close. And they'll have to prise the BD from my cold dead hands...

Last edited:

BrianPK

Just ordered "Don't Look Now" from Play.com. Pretty decent price £9.49.Looking forward to this.I originally saw it on the big screen about a thousand years ago:eek:.It was an instant hit with audiences.
An other film I associate with those times is "Death in Venice". a totally different type of film but even more stylish and with wonderful shots of Venice.Just no sign of a blu ray release unfortunately.
I visited Venice in late Oct. 2001 with my wife when tourist nos. were well depleted and I did think of "Dont Look Now" when I first saw the little humpback bridges and tiny alley- ways peculiar to Venice

Last edited:

Robert S

I respect the right of anyone's opinion, but frankly, anyone who damns the disc on a bunch of screenshots without seeing it in motion themselves wants their bumps feeling; another review
I think the reviewer in question has seen the disc in motion.

Re: screenshots - I remember looking at the online caps of Arrow's The Beyond and noticing a very unusual texture to the image. Despite my observation, I bought a copy, and whilst I found the quality to be better in motion, the textual "issue" remained.

So I think correctly captured shots can be useful, to an extent.

Anyway, my copy of Don't Look Now is in the post. I'm still looking forward to it.

John Hodson

I think the reviewer in question has seen the disc in motion.
I respect *his* opinion, just not the queue of people responding to his review who haven't and are even now wailing and renting their garments...

Personally, what I'm seeing bears no relation to those 'caps. YMMV. You hate it when you've seen it, fine. You love it when you've seen it, equally so.

Trending threads

Latest news

2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier