Don't know what to go for :/

C

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice really, and would appreciate any constructive replies. Just before Christmas my wife and I bought a 50" DLP rear projection HDTV, namely this one: Samsung SP50L6HX.

We were really impressed with it, it had the functions we wanted, like Picture in Picture etc. But, when delivered the glass shelf was smashed to bits. After about 3 phone calls to an unnamed internet/tv shopping channel... they got a replacement sent - which was the wrong one! Anyway, after another load of emails/calls my wife had enough and demanded a full refund as the unit was not fit for purpose.

They phoned the other week to arrange pick up and will give us a full refund (stupid tbh, we just want a new cabinet... but when you pay that much for a TV its the principal! - shelf was smashed, bits missing, scored casing etc).

... question is, do we buy the SAME TV (which i've been really happy with.. apart from the viewing angle from the side - picture goes darker), or do we get something else.

Budget is £1500 so plasma is out of the question, and I really want to stick to 50"+. A few people have mentioned the Sony KDF-E50A12U, but I was worried about screen burn (use the TV a lot for games consoles etc) - as its not DLP - however it is 3LCD.... which means.. nothing to me ;) (all i know is what i read about DLP stopping ghosting/bluring and no screen burn) - also read that DLP is the only true HD?

Really appreciate any advice! :clap: :thumbsup:

Have you had a look at the Sagem DLP G4 T (45 and 50") its the biz.
Check out the AV Wow web site, fantastic service.

Regards

looks nice Phil, and thanks for the avwow webby. The 50" seems to be £1450 thou, and doesnt include a stand (which is listed at over £200) and I really can't afford to go over my price range. Also, the 3LCD sony - since its different technology - does that suffer from Screen Burn? (I just got an XBOX 360, and will use it a lot on the TV - one of the reasons the DLP was so attractive.)

You can get the 50" Sagem for £1400, and just get a third party stand with it. The glass ones are just a disaster waiting to happen imo - wood is cheaper and better looking imo.

Cron.

All DLP suffer from the brightness droppoing off if you look from above or below the set - wide viewing angles it happens a little but not as much.

My understanding is that only plasma screens suffer significantly from screen burn and then particualrly if you do not run them in. Projection screens using 3 LCD should be fine.

You can get true high def LCD, Plasma and DLP tvs. I guess that 'true' is referring to the actual resolution and not just accepting the signal and downsizing.

Hope this helps.

wydad0 said:
Cron.

All DLP suffer from the brightness droppoing off if you look from above or below the set - wide viewing angles it happens a little but not as much.

Just a slight correction here. Both DLP and LCD rear projector screens suffers from brightness drop off. It's inherent in the screen design.

I've done extensive research in chosing my rear projection TV and the 50inch Sony LCD tv, although a nice machine, has poor contrast and black level compared to the Sagem hd-d45 which is not surprising considering it's LCD technology.
The fact that Sony do not publish a contrast ratio spec for it's machine speaks volumes.

The Samsung looks great at 2000:1 contrast ratio but soundly beaten into second place by the Sagems (3000:1 contrast ratio). Every review has put the Sagems at number 1. At the mo, they are the rear projection king.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i've also been emailing AVWOW about some concerns (namely the humming i've read about etc), but with 2 year on site warrenty, thats pretty good.

Now i've just got to decide whether to get the 45 or the 50.. i've already got a wooden TV stand that we used to use for our old CRT 28" wide screen TV, and im sure the base of the Sagem would fit nicely onto that... just worried about the ends hanging over, and it maybe being too high.

Pre-empting delivery I picked up a stand for the soon to be sagem from ikea for £23 that will the job nicely.

I had a Sagem for a while and can tell you that the picture is awesome, it broke down though......and that seems to happen quite a bit if you read the threads

Fan noise:- personally, i could hear the fan noise but it didn't bother me, and stand wise you should be ok as the base is very narrow compaired to the other DLPS available.
Hope this was some help.

I ordered a Sagem from avwow recently and was unlucky to get a humming set, avwow have been fantastic with after sales service and i have a new set coming tommorrow ( the 2yrs onsite warranty is also a bonus)
The picture quality is excellent and apart from the humming i'm very happy with my final choice (went through the whole lcd vs dlp etc)

well, thanks again for all of the advice. I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 50" sagem. Also used AVWOW as a lot of people had recommended them - paid an extra £25 though for Saturday delivery and i'm still sitting here at 4pm with no TV :/ emailed them and phoned - promised a phone back, but that was over an hour ago - not looking good :thumbsdow

Cron you won't be sorry m8,i've had my 50" a week now and love it even though it has a bit of a hum.I mentioned it to David @ avwow on the day it was delivered last friday,he offered to have a new set with me by monday if i wanted it changed,i said i'll stick with this one for a while and see if the humming gets any better.Wednesday someone from sagem called me out of the blue and an engineer is coming out monday to have a look.
The service from avwow has been excellent i was quite happy to put up with the hum but sagem are sending someone out.:thumbsup:

You'll love the picture,thats the main reason i wouldn't let them change it just in case i got one that wasn't as good.:D

yeah tbh thats one of the reasons i went with AVWOW, because of the good feedback i've heard... but like i say, i phoned them well over an hour ago and the receptionist said she'd get someone to call me right back - as i'd paid the £25 extra for saturday :( (no call back, nothing...)

really disappointed /sigh.

will post my impressions compared to my old 50" samsung DLP if/when it shows up :rolleyes:

Keep calling m8 i know i would.:D

My delivery didn't turn up till 5.30pm so theres still time...didn't you get a tracking number to check its on the van ?
I have the 50" now as the 45" was returned due to the dreaded hum, this 50" is alot quiter and doesn't take up much more space as i haven't connected the side speakers.

dduck said:
My delivery didn't turn up till 5.30pm so theres still time...didn't you get a tracking number to check its on the van ?
I have the 50" now as the 45" was returned due to the dreaded hum, this 50" is alot quiter and doesn't take up much more space as i haven't connected the side speakers.

nope :( no tracking number, just a receipt in the post today. i tried to phone the first time it just gave the disconnect tone, then i tried again, spoke to that receptionist who said i'd get a call back right away.. no call back - 18.20 now.. pretty sure i lucked out :(

emailed them to ask for a refund on my saturday delivery and when it might actually turn up - very disappointed with AVWOW atm :(

/edit, David from AVWOW called me at about 7, TV was despatched, apparently it was the couriers :( he was very helpful, so some faith coming back. Hopefully we'll get it Monday now - hope its worth it after all this hassle :/ hehe.

Cron is it there m8? What do you think?

hunts1uk said:

JUST got here... Tuesday :/

David from AVWOW has been incredibly helpful however - it was due to the useless courier company, not AVWOW, however I do hope for their sakes that they don't use that company again and go else where, because at the end of the day i'm buying a product from AVWOW... NOT the courier company.

that aside... i just plugged it in, after having to ask how to set the picture to 16:9 (god im a newb hehe)... wow... seriously... wow.
The picture on my Samsung DLP 50" was nice, but this blows it away, and ive only got it set to standard picture setting atm. I've got a dead pixel on the screen however, but when sitting on the couch i can't see it. did mention it to David when he phoned, felt it might be dust on the lense - tbh not REALLY bothering me atm.

There is a hum from the set, but its getting quieter as the thing is warming up (its been sitting in a warehouse for 3 days), and its NO way near as loud as the XBOX360 - so i dont think its going to be a problem.

Project Gotham 3 on the XBOX 360 via HD cable is absolutely amazing..... its crystal clear.

Overall.. think im happy with my purchase, the terrible delivery problems I experienced kinda put a damper on it all for me, but im sure i'll be happy with it.

Anyone else noticed "dead pixels" (just a tiny small black dot on the screen - only visible if you are pretty close to the set)?

Again, cheers for steering me towards this set everyone, the quality blows anything else i've seen away.

hunts1uk said:

btw mate, did they come out and have a look @ set re: humming?
david mentioned that they can come and fit some rubber feet to the bottom of it which seems to solve the problem.

like you though its not really bothering me that much, but i might get it looked @? :)

Cron said:
btw mate, did they come out and have a look @ set re: humming?
david mentioned that they can come and fit some rubber feet to the bottom of it which seems to solve the problem.

like you though its not really bothering me that much, but i might get it looked @? :)

Came yesterday and added the rubber feet,made quite a big diffrence,can hear the hum upto about 15 on the volume where as it was 35 before.
Are they willing to exchange the set because of the dead pixel?To tell the truth i never even checked mine close up.

As for the 16.9 there is a button on the remotre that sets it all up,not at home at the moment so can't help.The only thing that bothers me about the sagem is it goes straight on the Antenna when turned on and not scart for my sky+.

hunts1uk said:
Came yesterday and added the rubber feet,made quite a big diffrence,can hear the hum upto about 15 on the volume where as it was 35 before.
Are they willing to exchange the set because of the dead pixel?To tell the truth i never even checked mine close up.

As for the 16.9 there is a button on the remotre that sets it all up,not at home at the moment so can't help.The only thing that bothers me about the sagem is it goes straight on the Antenna when turned on and not scart for my sky+.

hum, think ill go that route then. was told it was checked for humming before it went out, but its MUCH louder than my old Samsung 50" DLP. As for the pixel.. i dunno. its not even noticable on the couch, just when close up - and whos to say if they did replace it, it might not have 2/3 /shrug.

like i say thou, apart from that its a much better TV than the samsung, so i am very pleased with it, like you said, picture quality is superb! :clap:

Hi Cron, your old Samsung 50" DLP did not have the HD4 chipset with wobulator on board, this is responsible for the louder humming and is something you cannot get rid of completely. Like you say, it's not anywhere near as loud as your Xbox360 so if you're watching the TV on ~ 30-40 with the dynamic bass on and the smart volume option set to normal then you shouldn't notice it that much.

Hi

Don't buy the Samsung. I have seen the new samsung 50 inch pics live at currys with HDMI input and it sucks.

My advise, buy the Sagem HD-D45H G4-T for £1117 at Microdirect, the pictures are breath taking one of the best in UK.

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom