1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont know what this connection is

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by watahero, Oct 22, 2005.

1. watahero

watahero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a connection in the built in sound system of the flat. I cant see to find a connector like it. Can somebody tell me what it is or where I can buy it.
    It has 8 pins in a circular manner.

thanx for any help

Attached Files:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    8-pin DIN. I can't imagine why they'd preinstall it into a flat though. :confused:

3. watahero

watahero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    8 pin din has this diagram but my connector dose not have the central pin the number 8. is it not standard?

Attached Files:

4. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  5. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    looks more like a shuttle type connection to me, so you can connect say a cd seperate of the same make to it, and use the same remote ect.

of course that may not be the case at all, it just looks a bit like that to me :)

posting unit info will help, or look up the model number on google and you will no doubt find a diagram/manual that will tell you :smashin:

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Blimey I haven't seen one of them for well over 30 years as my old Rogers amplifiers used those DIN connectors.

7. watahero

watahero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for all the info. been searching on the net for an adapter that turns this into normal stereo plugs or anything else normal home applinaces use, but couldn't find anything. am I subossed to make the cableing myself?

8. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    It's a long time since I've used DIN connectors, but I have a faint recollection that the 7 pin socket is compatible with the most common 5-pin plug used in audio applications. So provided you don't need whatever pin 6 does, you may be able to get some pre-assembled leads.

Maplin certainly sold 5-pin DIN to phono leads in the past - not sure whether thsy still do.

9. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I don't know where you are but after searching everywhere for what I wanted
    (CVBS din Plug all wired ready to plug in)
    and given up,
    I was wondering down Walthamstow Market on my way to the pound shop and on one of the electrical stalls was an old faded dusty packet with a CVBS din!!!!!! with all the converters you could possible want and phono being one of them!!!!
    Never would have guessed to look a market stool for something so out of date.

10. watahero

watahero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  12. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    its a din connector used for connecting bang olufsen speakers/equipment

7 pin connector normally used for auxilliary connection

looks like you found a beolink convertor or something send bigger picture and i will be better able to judge

if thats in the wall do a bit more rooting around as there may be other b+o kit

13. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was going to suggest B&O as well. From memory when I was in the trade (almost 20 years ago now!) they were used as the connection between amp and other components, eg; CD player, cassette deck, etc.

5-pin DIN connections were often used at that time, which was a common ground, plus a left and right signal for both play and record. The sixth and seven pins were used as some type of control connection so that if you pressed play on the CD player it would switch on the amp and select the CD input (etc.)

It also maintained compatibility with non B&O equipment, ie; you could plug your non B&O deck in to your B&O amp using it's 5-pin DIN plug.

Possibly (I can't remember now!) they may also have been used for the MCL kit (Master Control Link) which was a system for routing the sound around your house. The system would be in one room, with just a pair of speaker and a I/R receiver in the remote room. Can't think where though, there was a control module which I think had screw terminal connections for the wires running back to the central system, 2-pin DIN plugs to connect to the speakers, and something to plug the I/R receiver in. But I think that was a smaller connector, or maybe that was hard wired as well.

They sold dedicated wall sockets with 7-pin DIN or 2-pin DIN connectors on that fitted a standard electrical back box. In fact I've probably still got some in the loft!

Is it a new flat? I know some of the ones in Bristol, and presumably elsewhere as well, have been pre-wired with the neccessary cabling to run MCL (or whatever they call it now) around the flat. Don't know if they still use 7-pin DIN but they might.

Hope that helps.

14. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    definetely b+o, probably earlier mcl version

would be a bonus if whole flat is prewired

mcl has been replaced by masterlink cable but you can combine mcl with masterlink(ml) via a convertor