Dont I just switch it on whats with all the set up ?

Cliff1010

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am intrested in getting a new TV and have seen a Samsung Plasma at Dixons 42".
But have seen a few links saying you need to run in for 200 hours.
Sorry if I seem a bit dim but never having had a plasma before what do I do. Do I not just switch it on ?

Thanks Cliff

With a plasma it is advisable to run it in on low settings ie contrast, brightness, picture mode eg cinema. warm, soft etc. The theory is that by running it in on low settings for 200 hours it helps to prevent screen burn. It probably allows the screen to get up to speed.

I dont have a samsung so not a clue how they react.

gbmitie

But actually, if you're not going to have a BBC THREE logo or a games console on 10 hours a day.... yeah, just switch it on. My in-laws Samsung needed some tweaking though, the out of the box settings were pretty ugly.

(and don't use dynamic mode. Ever)

Also unlike the (usually) simple 'plug and play' CRT tvs, plasma and LCD tend to come with horrible 'out-of-the-box' picture settings (as can be seen by visiting any branch of Currys!)

In order to get the best from them you might need to do a little tweaking.

Several nice forum members have drawn up a selection of optimal settings for their model of TV. A quick search should find them.

*Edit* Choddo beat me to the punch!

Thanks for the advice, I would imagine the manual would have all these settings or as you say check out the forum. Thats it I have decided I will buy the one in dixons I have been looking at.

Thanks
Again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom