Don't forget to watch What the World Thinks of America

I

Ian Cox

On tonight at 9pm on BBC2, here is the blurb:

BBC Political Editor Andrew Marr presents a debate bringing together 10 broadcasters and a range of voices from around the globe to give a multinational verdict on the US

Should be interesting :)

I saw some of the results on the news and the majority think they are one of the biggest threats to world peace even some the call axis of evil.:eek:

Everyone on the show (esp. Clare Short) said that America had a financial obligation to the rest of the world, but should keep it's military out of it! Fair enough perhaps, but picture this:

America decides that it will no longer get involved in the business of other countries problems. They become inward-looking (no seriously, work with me on this one guys) and tell the rest of the world to pee-off. No economic assistance and especially no American troops on call. Lovely! says the rest of the World, Middle East has a big celebratory party, etc, etc.

Then a few months later someone like China decides to invade Mongolia, Indonesia wants the North of Australia! Holy smokes!!! What do we do? Try to mediate? Call the UN? Might as well call the Ghostbusters!:rolleyes:

Indonesia wants the North of Australia! Holy smokes!!! What do we do? Try to mediate? Call

It would be call us:(

Austrailia is Commonwealth and we would be obliged to help them out.

Overall a fairly interesting program and I got the impression from the polls they did around the world that most countries are fairly happy with America's position in the world (apart from the Brazilians and the Jordanians) - if things had gone differently we could of had Russia or even China as the worlds only super power and that would be scary :eek:

What did come out of the program though is the majority of the people polled did not like Bush and I think it is Bush's America that scares most people and the promotion of Neo Conservatism. Quite frankly Neo Conservatism scares me as trying to promote or push your ideals (in this case democracy) on to other parts of the world never works and always ends in disaster.

Did anybody else think some of the overseas pictures looked stretched as though they could only get 4:3 pictures but stretched them out to 16:9 to fill the screen.

Ian,
I agree with your views completely, and I was heartened to learn that other countries also think that whilst America as a whole is no bad thing, the Bush administration is not to be trusted.

PS:

Bush's Chicken? Was that real? Do they really call restaurants that?

Originally posted by Garrett
Did anybody else think some of the overseas pictures looked stretched as though they could only get 4:3 pictures but stretched them out to 16:9 to fill the screen.

And there was me thinking I was the only person capable of watching a political debate show and being annoyed by the aspect ratio :laugh: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by monkeyboy73
And there was me thinking I was the only person capable of watching a political debate show and being annoyed by the aspect ratio :laugh: :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think it was a sneaky way to devalue there arguments, like oh look at the fat foreigners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom