Don't forget about styling

D

dellaware

Yes, there are many Sony haters here, so here's my rant.

I often buy Sony.I have a KDEP 42 XS1 and the picture is fantastic. Sure they never made the screens but their electronics made the diffeence and believe me the picture is top. I feed sky hd.

Also, when you read all the 'experts' on these various boards praising their Pannies, you then see their pics of their set-ups and they are heinous. Huge stands with piles of equipment underneath and cables running everywhere. Probably a velvet sofa a few feet away. I am often amazed as to how awful many of these 'home set-ups' are.

Well, take a look at the Sony styling. I hang my plasma from the wall, no visible cables no stands, nothing. Looks beautiful. Bang in the middle of a wall, not above a fireplace giving you neck strain to watch it. Cracking picture.

I have also seen some of these 'professional' home set ups. One I saw in one of the mags cost about 60K. The ceiling hung projector had a cable leading to a plug pushed into a cheap white socket in the ceiling.

Sorry to rant, but Sony produces good products that look the best. Worry less about whether it is 1080i or p and look at the style. I was also told that CRT gives a better picture than any plasma, but we're not talking about these are we?

Dave

Distinguished Member
Quite some rant there.:D

I agree that styling is important but If i'm paying over a grand for a telly, pq is the number one consideration period.

So what exactly are you ranting about? Cables showing, the lack of styling or sony haters?:confused: ;)

D

dellaware

Well Sony plasmas and us Sony owners do get looked down on as having bought an overpriced inferior product.

I think there is an obsession about getting the absolute best 'picture', I know I've been there. Wasting money on this cable or that setting or that upscaler and so on . You can spending hours on the boards trying to find ways of getting an either 'better' picture. It can get quite obsessional. At the end of the day you can forget why you bought the tv in the first place, to watch programmes.

You can spend all your time watching a film and worrying whether there is something you can do to make the picture even better. Have you ever started watching a film, then started mucking around with the settings so much that you either crashed the system or the film ended and you hadn't really watched any of it?.

The television and all the associated kit should not dominate the room, but should enhance the room as a furnishing. Seeing many of these plasmas standing on a stand with piles of kit looks awful. If more time was spent on hiding all that stuff, the picture would look better.

You can spend all your time and energy getting an even better picture but the forget that the set up is just as important.

Sony looks the best in my view and this is worth a lot when it is displayed well.

andrewfee

Novice Member
From the sounds of things, you're talking about setups like this?

Now, the wires that are loose at the back were due to it being quickly set up after getting it, but I can't see there being a better set up in my room. It's roughly 8' square, and 1/3 - 1/2 of that is taken up by a bed and a desk that has to be there.

The walls are paper thin, and while a Plasma might be able to go up there, I wouldn't trust them to take the weight.

Now, I've actually got rid of the Plasma (they're rubbish, in my opinion ;)) so my setup is a lot more like this now (actually an older photo, but I'm back to that LCD - which happens to be Sony) however I've got a new DLP projector that'll be filling the space above it. (with the wires running around the skirting board to the opposite wall, and then straight up to it)

Now, you have no idea how much I would love it if I could get rid of all these boxes, just have a screen up on the wall and some tiny satellites in a spacious, stylish room, without any wires etc. but unfortunately many of us have to live within a lot of restrictions and can't have our setups the way we want them. I simply don't have the space, and am constantly adding / removing things from my setup, so I need access to the back of the TV. I'm sure others are renting a place and aren't able to rip apart the walls to hide everything, or they can't afford to get it done properly etc.

I'd love it if I could be happy just having a TV on the wall with a single aerial and power lead going in, giving me Freeview, as some people have, but I couldn't go back to not having a PVR for a start, and TV speakers / small satellites generally sound rubbish.

When the lights are down and I'm watching a movie, I know I've got things set up the best they can be, so I'm not constantly tweaking; (it's only something that needs done when you just get your TV, with the odd 10-minute tune-up every month or two) I'm sitting back being amazed by the picture on my 55" screen and the sound quality from my £1500 (or thereabouts) 2.1 setup. I'm not paying attention to anything else because the sheer size and quality of the image has me fully immersed in the film.

If you could suggest anything better in the space I have with the restrictions I've got (can't put holes in the wall, and they won't take the weight of a big TV) then I'd love to hear it, but if you think people have setups like mine rather than having everything hidden away out of choice, then you're sadly mistaken.

Dave

Distinguished Member
To some extent I agree but what you need to remember is that to a lot of the people on these forums picture quality is the holy grail of AV.:eek:

It doesn't matter what the room, kit or cables look like because the ultimate aim is picture and audio quality.

I do feel that Sony fans are having a hard time here of late but to be fair the majority of it is justified, it's not however directed at you personally but more at Sony as a company.

Take for example Sony's insistence on including a BR drive in the PS3. It makes the console rather expensive, this annoys me because Sony are using me as a consumer as a way of forcing their own format down my throat when I don't want it. If the PS3 was 250 quid with a DVD drive I'd have my preorder in now but because of the cost, it's not going to happen. I really want a PS3 but Sony have priced me out simply to get a foothold in the current format war. It's a game console, not a BR player.

There are many other reasons why Sony is becoming a bit of a nemesis but I won't go in to them as I'm sure after 10 minutes perusing the forums you know anyway.

In my personal opinion Sony are overpriced and sometimes inferior to other products but the thing is, you have a sony telly and think it's great. That's the whole point. I think my setup is great but you could see it and think why on earth has the imbecile spent all that money on that ****e.:eek:

AV gear is very subjective and personal preference should always win out against popular opinion. Your prioroties are obviously different to mine and everyone elses so if your happy with what you have stuff everyone else and watch your sony with pride.:thumbsup:

D

dellaware

good points, guys.

Plus , I should add, my wife was dead against getting a 'big' telly. She was 'happier' when I gave it the minimalist look.

I take your point about small rooms, but why do so many hang the plasmas so high up the wall. I almost got a whiplash watching the world cup at a friend's house.

I put my 'boxes, in the corner of the room and run the cables behind the skirting. Doesn't cost much atall to get long component cables.

huntere

dellaware said:
Yes, there are many Sony haters here, so here's my rant.

I often buy Sony.I have a KDEP 42 XS1 and the picture is fantastic. Sure they never made the screens but their electronics made the diffeence and believe me the picture is top. I feed sky hd.

Also, when you read all the 'experts' on these various boards praising their Pannies, you then see their pics of their set-ups and they are heinous. Huge stands with piles of equipment underneath and cables running everywhere. Probably a velvet sofa a few feet away. I am often amazed as to how awful many of these 'home set-ups' are.

Well, take a look at the Sony styling. I hang my plasma from the wall, no visible cables no stands, nothing. Looks beautiful. Bang in the middle of a wall, not above a fireplace giving you neck strain to watch it. Cracking picture.

I have also seen some of these 'professional' home set ups. One I saw in one of the mags cost about 60K. The ceiling hung projector had a cable leading to a plug pushed into a cheap white socket in the ceiling.

Sorry to rant, but Sony produces good products that look the best. Worry less about whether it is 1080i or p and look at the style. I was also told that CRT gives a better picture than any plasma, but we're not talking about these are we?
Sorry but I don't see what this has to do with Sony? You're rant seems to be about the style of installs not the hardware itself? Am I missing something? If you go to the installers forum or "get your plasma's out" thread you will see a wide array of installs. Some are fantastic irrespecive of manufacturer. I'm sure you could make a Sony install look rubbish with cables etc if you wanted.

Seems an odd thread - whats the point?

If you're arguing Sony's are more stylish than Pannys, Pios etc well beuty is in the eye of the beholder.
If you're saying Sony's are as good PQ as Pio's Panny's Fuji's well thats your opinion.
If you're saying style is more important than quality to you thats fine.

But whats the point?

D

dellaware

Yes you're right . A bit of a mixed up rant.

I suppose what surprises me is so many people have technically great systems but the whole system looks terrible, with everything piled up in a corner.

Us Sony 'lovers' are often dismissed as as 'more syle over substance'.

Sorry for annoying anyone.

cboy

Banned
wat a load of [email protected]@x
ive got a px600 and my parents have a pio43xde and a 28"lcd wega thingy *which is absolute crap* and looks like cheap plastic and pic via sky+ and ntl ( they have both ) is very bad on the lcd but the pio is nearly as nice as my px600...:)

Jet_Set_Jim

Novice Member
I think the essence of dellaware's point is valid - there's more to our hobby of Home Cinema than the best picture and sound. It is after all a large visible element of one's lounge, and a good looking set-up is both elusive and very desirable - certainly another key part of the overall Home Cinema ethos.

I don't have a downer on Sony, their kit tends to look quite good, but they are not alone in that...

Kazuya Mishima

Novice Member
dellaware said:
Let's see a picture then, eh? Billy big-wotsits.

dickst3

Novice Member
LOL.

ok, I agree and disagree. its down to personal opinions and priorities. personally i like to buy the best products within my budget and i always do my research on forums such as these.

but the fact the the forums are full of av bofins more interested in PQ and sound above all else - because they dont care about anything else - makes their opinions more valid (than mine) when it comes to advice on the performance of plasma's.

btw - I just bought a 26" Sony lcd because its regarded as one of the best on the lcd forum - and i have to say it "butt" ugly! :eek: :D :D

i also have my plasma hung on the wall with no wires :smashin: