don't buy from comet

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by jackphilips, Sep 17, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi my dads getting on a bit and is nearly house bound and he wanted a new tv so i went and got him a philips 42 lcd from comet the first one went wrong after 22 days which when i rang philips they said take it back to the shop and exchanged it for a new one cos the tv was less than 30 days old which i did but he rang yesterday and said the 2nd tv as gone wrong as well and only had it 20 days so rang comet for him and they said can't exchanged it cos they need to send a engineer out to see it but i said about what's the point in that cos it's a fault that can't be fixed but they just said engingeer will be round my dad's house on thursday so as you can imagine he's not to pleased.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I think that is more than fair enough of comet, perhaps they don`t want to keep throwing new sets out, but instead make sure there is nothing wrong with siting, connections or even your father doing something wrong,
    They have already exchanged one set, this time they are being a bit more thorough, nothing wrong with that, indeed from what you report i would be more encouraged to buy from them, confident they will do what is necessary to help and not just fobbing you off

3. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you taking the **** what you on about paid good money for faulty goods sales of goods act sec 14 read it?

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Sorry if you don`t agree, but what qualifications do you have to say it cannot be fixed, when you say it has gone wrong, exactly what has gone wrong.
    Many a time i have been to someones house and it is just a setting that is needed to fix the so called faulty set. you would be amazed at how many sets are described as faulty when all that has happened is the timer has inadvertently been set by the op, after 30 mins the thing shuts down. Now that is just one example of a fault that is not caused by a faulty set.

5. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    i would say,that in this case,as you have handed back 1 tv,they would be entitled to send out an engineer,to make sure its faulty,or not.
    quite possibly to check that you/your father,arent pulling a fast one,or have damaged it yourself,or even at the least,set it up incorrectly.
    if it is faulty,they would write it off,and organise a refund/enxchange.
    if it is not faulty,then they could repair it,or replace it,as you would be entitled to do so.

either way,it doesnt mean you are free,to have an attitude to another member,the way you have.
    if you didnt want anyone to post with their info/criticism's,then you should not have posted in the first place.

oh,and you only have to accept 1 replacement legally,which you have,so if it is faulty,then you are entitled to a refund.

6. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Its just routine.
    I had a 32" Samsung go wrong and the engineer came to look at it,he didn't even bother switching it on he just gave me a "ticket" to take it back to the shop.
    I took it back and got a refund as easy as that.
    Personally I took it as a good sign that they didn't just fob me of with excuses and they actually did something.
    Just cause they didn't swap it over straight away doesn't mean that they wont exchange it.
    I think the first time you were lucky to get it swapped over as easy as you did,I was told a engineer HAD to come out first to agree the fault before a refund or exchange was offered.

7. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Completely agree. Comet's thoroughness here is to their credit and is much better service than would normally be offered by a cheaper internet retailer. If a customer is making some sort of user error, what would be the point in sending out new set after new set for the same issue to keep happening?

I'm not suggesting this of anyone here, but we sometimes go out to people who could easily have resolved their 'faults' by simply reading the user manual provided with the television. We don't mind doing this, but it is beyond the call and the retailer/customer relationship has to work both ways.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,772
    I've got nothing but praise for Comet. I bought a 32" LCD Hitachi which had the infamous buzzing fault, phoned them up, they sent an engineer round and got the set swapped. Then I damaged it one day, phoned Comet up, they sent an engineer round and got it swapped for a 40" Sony free of charge! :thumbsup:

You can't expect a company to just blindly accept you have a faulty product without sending their own engineers round to check it out.

What sort of huge losses would you expect these companies to have if they just sent out replacement products over the phone without checking yours out first?

That kind of comment is not likely to make people respond to your questions. Punctuation would be nice too.

9. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    why are will going to pull a fast one?go out of our way to take a tv back and leave my dad with no tv?

10. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you work in retail then

11. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    no i work in the service side, against forum rules to say exactly what i do, but it does involve visiting customers houses, and dealing with AV issues, i dont work in a warehouse or workshop but in the field as it were.

12. LolaT90

LolaT90
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You dont need to work in retail to have a grasp of business sense.

13. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    however, i do notice from your previous posts that you are not particularly fluent when using AV equipment, so what qualification do you have to say it is not repairable?

14. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    That kind of comment is not likely to make people respond to your questions. Punctuation would be nice too.[/QUOTE]

............always said Cambridge was better than Oxford...........;)

15. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    it don't need to be repairable as it is a new tv just brought thats gone wrong twice within 22 days. so within my rights (sale of goods act 1979) section 14 to have an exchange or refund.

16. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That applies to distance selling only.

17. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    meaning?

18. ger32

ger32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You're completely in the right Jack - IF this ones turns out to be faulty as well.

But given that they've already exchanged a set with you. In the meantime it seems reasonable to me that Comet might like a quick look at this one as its currently set up to ascertain if it's indeed a fault of the set.

19. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    :lesson: Not really relevant to the problem that you say you are having, but you should not have contacted Philips regarding the first TV, you didn't buy it from them.

20. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    @ jackphilips you need to calm down a bit here and stop being so aggressive, you ask or state an opinion and then aggressively dismiss anyone who replies with a view that differs from yours,. yes it was/is bad luck that the first tv you had failed but Comet to there credit swapped the tv without fuss according to you, and even more bad luck that the replacement developed a fault according to you an unrepairable fault, as this is the 2nd fault they deem that it is necessary to send an engineer to confirm the fault, nothing wrong with that the engineer might agree with your diagnosis, it maybe at this point that a re-fund, replacement or repair maybe offered, who knows. to me Comet have done no wrong here they have already replaced one tv and really are not just going to keep replacing on your "unrepairable" diagnosis, so I say chill, let the engineer do his job and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Curly

21. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I think when the engineer checks this out, he will file his report in, The Wrong Attitude Type. file .

22. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At the end of the day my dad paid good money for a tv that don't work so when they ring him on thursday i told him don't no repair no exchange only a refund then we will goes elsewhere to buy never comet again.

23. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    No mention of what make and model these TVs were . What were the nature of these faults ? Perhaps with this information people might be able to help. I am no lover of Comet etc, but they are within their rights to come out and see what the trouble is. As someone has said it is often something to do with the setting up. Manuals a rarely read beyond the first couple of pages as these Forums frequently testify.

24. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    what a day just got back from comet took the telly back due to advice from customer advice on the phone.Told the manager cos my dad as only had the tv for 20 days that we wanted a fefund but he said he can't refund till the engineer as checked it but i said get the engingeer to check it now but he so no it's booked for thursday anyway i said no i am not going to bring it back if it's not faulty.Then i was asked to leave the store which i refused then a member of he's staff told me to shut up and i said who you telling to shut up then she told me to **** off i said to the manager you teach your staff well don't you swearing at the customer's then she started crying.then police turned up and asked to leave or be arrested.So my dad who is in he's late 70s is left with no tv to watch which he paid good money for which is not right and is bugging me big time.Comet don't buy from them they are crap.This all happened yesterday.

25. dognosh

dognosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    maybe there might be some electrical issue and not necessarily your dad's fault but they need to check it out before they send another out,you should have had a bit more patience

with the attitude you have shown on AVF I would have told you to **** off too and thrown you out of my shop
    you come here for advice and a bit of banter and are rude
    you go to comets and do the same:rolleyes:

26. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I don't think there is anything left to be said on this subject. I do not think Comet, or anyone else ,will want to deal with a customer who has to be removed by the police for such outrageous behaviour. This is not the way to get service out of anybody, especially when the dealer was acting reasonably.

I'm now off to buy something (anything!) from Comet.

27. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not wanting to wade in the Comet issue but CS can get you pretty steamed up.

I had to return a TV to M&S on Sunday because I couldn't get the stand to tilt and the vertical viewing angle was shocking and because the internal Freeview kept losing audio/video sync. I phoned on Saturday to check whether the stand could be tilted to be told it couldn't and I spoke specifically to the manager to check whether I could return it for the audio/video sync issue to be told I could. So I turn up on Sunday and tell them about the sync issues and the stand issues. They took the TV got a screwdriver out unscrewed the base and tilted the screen. They then said I couldn't return it. I told them it also had the audio/video problem on *DVB* and I wanted to return it for that reason. They said they had to check. I went for a walk around the store to calm down at this point because I had checked whether I could return it for this reason. I came back 10 minutes later to see them watching a *DVD* and they told me there was no sync problem, so I couldn't return it. I then reminded them I had said *DVB* and the guy said, "Well, if you say DVD to me what do you expect". At this point I was getting a bit narked because the whole staff were being well rude. I told them it had to be Freeview. So they plugged it in and started watching the analogue signal. I pointed out that it had to be on Freeview. The only channel they could tune in was Box Hits (or whatever it is) showing old videos - not the best source material for checking audio/video sync. In the few minutes they were watching it the sync was maybe only half a frame out! The guy then said there is no problem with the set. I totally lost my patience at this point, as I didn't appreciate my integrity being questioned. Without raising my voice I told the guy if he thought that the processing for DVD was the same as for Freeview he was an idiot, or he was lieing to try and get me to keep a telly with a fundamental flaw. I asked to speak to the manager and after being 'briefed' by her staff she said they had to prove there was a flaw and speak to the technical traff at HQ on Monday before issuing a refund. I asked how they intended to prove there was a flaw since they didn't have a Freeview feed on anything but a poor music channel and when her staff were incompetent. My refund was then processed, on the day. I left the shop literally shaking with anger. At no point had I raised my voice despite some serious provocation from four members of staff who effectively ganged up on me and were talking over me the whole time, but I was quite angry and probably quite obviously so.

Still, drones are people too, even if they are idiots, and I did get the outcome I wanted something that probably would not have happened it I started screaming and shouting.

PS Jack Philips, for pities sake please punctuate your posts. It is extremely bad etiquette not to do so.

28. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,772
    :eek:

29. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I'm glad I read this thread as by just reading the thread titles I might have considered someone had a bad experience with Comet and made a mental note to avoid them myself.

30. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,772
    Rather than the other way round. Comet having a bad experience with this customer. :eek:

Agree, with Chris the Ninja, when dealing with any customer service if you start swearing or raising your voice you will get absolutely nowhere. You must keep calm and be polite. This way you will get what you want in the end. But you must be patient and things will happen. If you do speak to someone at any customer services, make sure you get their full name. So if you do have to go into the store and the store staff (most often dumber than the call centre staff) deny it, you can quote a persons full name and get them to verify it.

But getting angry, swearing and shouting gets you nowhere. Dread to think what must have gone on with the OP to make the store staff cry and have to get the police called. Why did you just not wait till Thursday? The engineer would have come out and it would have all been sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.