1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't buy a Pronto Pro if you have an iPaq or similar!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Dodgey, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I had a pronto which failed, just out of warranty. I was going to buy a pronto pro until now...

I have installed software on my iPaq organiser that is a learning TV remote, but best of all, it has just been upgraded to read ccf files!! Now I edit the files with pronto pro edit software, then load onto my iPaq and hy presto, it all works!!

The range works for me, it works with all my devices, it uses the hard - buttons on the iPaq just like the pronto, and best of all the s/w is 20 bucks!!

The only downside is that if you want to hold a button down (like volume), you can't, you have to repeatedly press it. Who cares. Saved a firtune :) - and it's slimmer and sexier than a pronto pro

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and using The Sky Pocket Edition it will drive my goto telescope too.

I take it will also read the ccf files for the Marantz version too.

Now how much will I get for my rc5000i I wonder?

3. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will indeed read ALL ccf files :)

(I've not named the product in case someone thinks I'm involved with them, but it does not take a genius to search for it)

4. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - where did you get the software from?

I've been looking at doing the same thing for months.

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.pdawin.com

Have fun!!

Can't believe you can "have" a pronto pro for £13 (if you already have a pocket PC)!!

Still Grinning

6. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, more news. I've finished programming my iPaq to be a pronto pro (colour) and found a few more things.

1. What I said about not being able to "hold down" buttons (i.e. for volume etc) is not true. You can program the "hard buttons" on the iPaq and they can be held down continuously. Including the joypad! (think dvd or tivo joypad!!)

2. It's quicker than a pronto. There are none of the animations when changing from one panel to another - (the "swishes"). When I programmed my original pronto I got ****ed off with waiting for the animations (it DOES annoy you after a while) so I programmed it with source buttons on every screen (on the left), so for example, whilst on the DVD screen there would be the buttons on the left to switch to any other screen).
    Because it is very fast now, I have done away with the buttons, now relying on the "home" button to go back to the main menu. It is instant and now longer bothers me. The upshot is that I now have a lot nore room on each screen for buttons, or, as I prefer, more space for my big thumbs :)

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This is VERY intersting to me... Thing is I don't know the first thing about "Pocket PCs".

What one would anyone recommend (hopefully with a good IR range) :D

It goes without saying I like a bargain!

Mark.

8. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a compaq iPaq. If you go to the software web site you will see what others you can use, but at the end of the day, any pocket pc will do.

The iPaq is the sexiest, but the priciest. As far as functionality goes they are all pretty much the same. The iPaq joypad is a bonus though. I think most pocket pcs have joypads.

You will get a good price on a 32Mb iPaq (try and get a really old model) becasue they have released 2 updates since the original. They are all much of a muchness. If you are going to use it as a pocket pc as well as a remote then get one with Pocket PC 2002 operating system on it as it is quite a bit friendlier. Otherwise just go for as cheap as you can. There ARE offers around.

Hope than helps. feel free to ask any more questions!

Oh yes, range, my ipaq works to about 4 metres

Regards

Roger

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very very interesting Dodgey.

Can you extend the IR range on the IPAQ at all? Or do the newer models have a better range?

The joypad was a missed feature on the Pronto pro, and only the new Marantz models include this. No more problems, now you've solved your intitial button problem?

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hey, thanks all. This software really is the business. I've just parted with £13 and registered it. Only problem is my iPaq IR is only strong enough to operate my devices with the cabinet glass doors open and from a distance of less than 6 inches. Hmmm. Bit of a problem really.

Anyone got any ideas on increasing the IR strength on an iPaq?

Cheers

11. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a colour HP Jornada 540 PDA. Anyone know if it works. Tried to install the software and it wouldn't let me!

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly the problem I had when I tried this on my ipaq 3660 last year. Until these things are as good at firing IR to a longer range, I'll stick to my Pronto pro.
    Pocket pc's also dont do RF. Just my two cents

Eric

13. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid you're out of luck here - the above software only runs on PocketPCs with StrongARM processors - such as the Jornada 560 series or IPAQs and any PocketPC 2002 machine. The older 540 has a MIPs processor.

Sorry,

m.

14. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the lack of reply. Been away on a break.

There is a way to extend the IR range of the iPaq, if you go to the www.pdawin.com site and look ,there is a section on ordering or making the "IR extender". It's not very elegant though!

I use the iPaq 3760 and it works, like I said, up to about 4 metres. You have to point it quite directly at devices. Maybe some of you who are having less luck have other issues? I know for instance, that if I turn my MD deck on, then the IR sender I use for other rooms starts to misbehave. Makes no sense, but it happens!

I have a knackered Pronto, and the IR range was unbeatable when it worked, you could point it in the opposite direction of a device and it would still work. In an ideal world, I'd love a pronto Pro, buy I already have an iPaq, and it works nearly as well and I gain a joypad feature all for a few quid.

Don't think you can compare the two really. One is a cheapo option for iPaq owners (and the likes of) which works, for me at least, really well.

I'd say, if you can get hold of an iPaq dirt cheap or you already have one, give it a go, you have nothing to lose (it's shareware, so you can try b4 u buy).

Have fun!

15. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Msmorley.
    Bit disappointed, so I bought a Pronto tonight to cheer myself up!
    Cheers,
    Cambo...

16. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I doubt you'll be disappointed... and with a nice set-up like that, I think it deserves it :) Colour ain't everything...

m.