1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont Bother With Hitachi Pd7200 Cheap Rubbish

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by barong, Oct 6, 2005.

1. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased one of these due to reviews singing its praises to find. Hitachi dont want to talk to you if you encounter issues and its HDMI doesnt work correctly.

Funny enough at local makros was sell unbranded plasma for £600 which were 100 times better quality than the Hitachi.

I have connected my PC via DVI to hdmi and any windows you open displayed on the Hitachi via AV6 HDMI flickers like mad. Hitachi have said not their problem and said you should have bought another brand if i wanted HDMI to work correctly :eek: .

Not too much to ask you spend £2500 on a screen and want it to display SKY+ DVD and PC in reasonable quality at the moment everything looks like im watching VCD pirates.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Amen brother ;)

3. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you considred the possibility that you have a dodgy setup, cable, HDMI port etc etc?

Have you contacted your retailer to complain and demand an Engineer to visit?

I haven't tried HDMI or DVI on my 7200 yet (I've nothing to plug into them) but RGB Scart, Component and VGA @ 1024 x 768 all look fastastic.

4. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As stated before nothing to do with setup on a real plasma not cheaply made shuz would work fine.

Stick with the main manufacturers I think Sony as they seem to know what they are doing

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sony! It's a rebadged Hitachi, run for the hills!

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Oh dear...

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Not for the last 10 years they haven't.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What refresh rate did you set the PC too??? Anything other than 60Hz would probably cause flickering. Sky etc while still poo on a Hitachi, shouldn't look like VCD.... unless you are wiring up composite.

9. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks liam and sorry to all others just a little peeved.

I have run the SKy+ to DVD Player via S-Video to scart then component out to plasma.
    in AV4
    I have a profi gold lscart lead direct from SKY to AV1 and still looks VCD Style.

The computer res is 1280x1024 @ 60hz

10. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    For info ... my system is connected:

Sky+ ---> DVD Recorder ---> 7200 (RGB SCART)

DVD Player ---> 7200 (Component)

Laptop --- 7200 (VGA @ 1024 x 768)

And everything genuinly looks fine.

I'm always suspicious when S-Video is in play unless your sure all the equipment is setup to send and receive s-video correctly.

I highly suspect that swapping any TV for the 7200 in your current setup would make no difference.

11. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just spotted your using AV1 for Sky ... AV1 is NOT RGB !!!

Try AV2 or AV3 !!

Easy mistake that one ...

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny boys at Hitachi. The RGB scart numbers are different on every set they make, God knows why! But obviously, going into a composite only scart will not do anything for PQ!! But S-video into a dvdr then out with component ought to look OK, might or might not be the very best setup, but watchable.

13. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why s-video to scart to composite? Why not just RGB scart to RGB scart to composite? Shouldn't that look much better?

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Repeat after me Peabo, component component component! Mantra for plasma owners. The difference between s-video and RGB can be tricky at times, it depends how the signal is handled if there is any difference, and indeed at times if s-video is better. Think about your own plasma, a soft scart, but excellent s-video handling. It's not unique either. Think of s-video as slightly cut down component.

15. Muzzyboy

Muzzyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmmmm........

I take it you have read the numerous posts about how important it is to change the settings on this Plasma as the factory defaults are atrocious. The bad image you describe sounds like what it looks like un-calibrated.

Make sure you are using an RGB enabled scart and you have all devices set up to send/receive RGB, AV2 or AV3 on the PD7200.

I had reset my cable box last night and forgot to enable RGB. The picture was rubbish and was in composite, changed the settings on the cable box and voila crisp perfect RGB feed. Watched 'Timeline' (Sh*te) but cracking picture on SKY Movies 6.

DVD via component is also fantastic.

Again it took many hours and tweaking of all of the picture settings to get a great image.

It is very important to use good connections and equipment to feed this screen but when you do the picture really is good.

Cr@p in = Cr@p out.

:thumbsup:

16. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have a pd7500, and it gives excellent results, even on SKY (Pace box).
    And no problems with HDMI connected to a Panasonic player.

Suggestions : have you tried connecting PC via DVI or VGA - manual has a lot of settings concerning PC input, but only for RGB1 and RGB2 inputs - not HDMI!
    Perhaps getting PC to handshake correctly with HDMI is expecting too much; whilst there are settings galore for setting up DVI correctly for PC use.

Hitachi could be showing up crap quality of your SKY+ box, whose maker has a bearing here : I believe Pace give best PQ and there are problems with Amstrad/ Thomson boxes.

17. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey guys,

I'm using scart leads and had the sky is set to rgb but I can't get the clear picture like before. What is wrong?(hitachi5200)

18. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Rudy have you pressed "TV" button on SKY handset? - this reverts output to composite, ignoring RGB setting - press SKY button to correct. :lesson:

19. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, hehe, I can't believe I made that mistake, it must have been a rough morning. I meant component :suicide:
    I should know that since yesterday I hooked all my scarts (including my sky box) up via my new DVD recorder to the component port on the plasma. Now everything is going through that port (except the dreamcast and computer that go through VGA).

Looks much better than through the old scart board.

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    does'nt work. its on av4 composite though.

21. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49

22. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Yip im sorry dude but your talking complete twaddle 1280x1024 @ 60hz is not supported thru hdmi ,i have my pc working at 1024x768 perfectly thru the dvi and can switch to hdtv resolutions thru my graphics card.

Me thinks you need to read the manual correctly
    :devil:

23. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neilos Er Page 53 Recommended Signal list !!!

Dont try to shoot people down till u have the facts, I am after advice not people giving totally unrelevant and non helpful views.

This screen claims to be able to be 1080i which at the moment it is not.

24. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an update im now running 1920 which someone said is not right and it will only do 1024 still flickers when windows displayed but media center seems to look good.

25. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can vouch for getting the settings right....came home from work the other night and noticed that we were getting loads of solarisation, especially on flesh tones. Started having a panic attack, thinking the panel was going belly up, so checked the settings. Somebody (won't say who) had been in there and played around, the sharpness was up to nearly max. After changing the settings back to those recommended by the forum members, things are now back to normal. And the 'other person' who changed them is saying how much the picture has improved!

26. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Barong managed to give the likes of maw and liam a breath of fresh air by calpestating on the Hitachi's Picture Master, which despite critics (mind you...only here!!) manages to keep itself standing up with proudly amongst all 'top' boyz, even if it is not a brand new set like some six months ago!!

I'm very surprised someone at Hitachi suggested you to go for another brand
    after you phoned in your problem, as you said. Actually, in the first place, if you wanted a big display to connect mostly to your PC an LCD/TFT is the best option for such case. Most probably no plasma will give you a decent picture on 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz. Though, I have never tested that.

Though, I have connected my PC with GeforceFX5200 128MB to my 42PD7200's DVI port and both 1024x768 and 1280x1024 work fine at 60Hz. No signs of flicker. Will try with HDMI next week and let you know. I suggest you calm down and try connecting all with patience, reading the manual and carefully setting your vga and screen to maximise your results. I'm sure more helpful chaps will post out their experiences on the matter here.

Regarding the 1080i, the Hitachi panel can quite well reproduce such signal with 5% interpolation missing lines from 1080-1024 = 56 less lines = 28 from top and 28 from bottom. Actually all these things you should have asked for explanation before you have committed to buy.

Though, by time you will realise that you have made a pretty nice buy.

Finally, it is very sickening the fact that forums have been created to help people discuss each others' problems but others utilise them to criticise one (brand) or the other in unjustifiable manners rather than helping others. And funnily enough these critics are mostly sellers, who reasonably want to sell theirs.......perhaps they need to do more sales since they have quite ample time to be here criticisning what they don't sell......

God help them :lease:

Cheers :hiya:

27. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Im sorry if i offended you barong but on page 53 of the hitachi manual no where does it state that 1280x1024 is supported thru av 6 hdmi ,that resolution is only supported thru the vga connection.

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Barong, HDMI is not a computer interface. Everyone has trouble with this one, I take my hat off to the 7200 if you get any picture at all with 1280/1024 on HDMI! You should use VGA for PC, though 1920/1080 should work on HDMI, though overscan is a problem.

29. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Camorra,

I have read and posted to these forums for a wee while now, and some things become clear. You find yourself trying to defend a make, because others rubbish it (why why why......I don't have shares in the company!).

I have a Hitachi, but it could as easily be any other make, and you see the same names saying the same things, sometimes based on an objective view, sometimes out of anger, sometimes because they didn't read the manual, sometimes because their mate had a bad experience.

There are some very knowledgable folk who post here, those that are genuinley trying to help, and you should embrace and love them, for they are the font of knowledge.

Folk take their AV views very seriously, and it is never productive to criticise the posts of others, not because they don't sometimes deserve to be criticised, but because you are more likely to get abuse and life is just too short to get wound up over bits of electronics made in the far east.

If you have a Hitachi, accept you are a fool, and are missing out on the Panasonic experience (no disrespect to Pioneer or LG owners.....at least you don't have a......a.......Hitachi!!! :thumbsdow ). There is no point in trying to defend your purchase, for there lies the way of madness. I just wish I had the energy of the folk who go from thread to thread rubbishing them at every opportunity, they have the energy of the Duracell bunny and can surely run thier Panasoncs on nervous energy alone :rotfl:

If you ever feel lonely and want some friends though, just post a thread called "John Lewis is pricematching my PV500, for £1299", and you will indeed feel loved.