don't bother with a budget HDMI player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richard plumb, Sep 17, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    going to be getting a HD ready set soon. I currently have a philips 963SA progressive scan, feeding component to my projector, and svideo to my TV (philips 30pf9975)

I'm perfectly happy with this setup, but you can never have too much quality. Is there a noticable bump up by using a HDMI player? (I noticed a toshiba, samsung and I think JVC/Hitachi in Comet today, all about £100)

Or should I stick with what I have? Can a HDMI player feed my screen with HDMI and simultaneously output component to my projector?

BTW, I noticed that they all seem to be DivX players. Do they upscale that to my desired res too? It isn't likely it'll be as useful as my modded xbox, but you never know.

2. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I wouldn't bother.....I bought the samsung recently to go with my HDTV and the upscaled PQ is not that good to be honest. I stick with 576p from the player and let my tv do the scaling to 720p which results in a very good PQ

Cant comment on the dvix as i dont use that.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Not all dvdplayers are created equal so it is a case of trial and error.
    Im using a cheap panasonic S97(£149) via HDMI and it produces a pic as good as the Denon 3910(£799) i had, if not slightly better.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have that dvd player to gandley and the picture is gorgeous via HDMI, Ive heard the s97 is a bit of a gem at the price and I agree, on the downside I think Panasonic doesnt make em anymore :(....is there a decent replacement I wonder

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Panny now wins EISA award. Pity it is no longer available :) Stick with you 963. You would have to spend some serious money to get something you are happy with HDMI wise, the £100 clan......no, ....oppo has it's fans re piccy (don't know about sound), I always like 97 (but some don't like it's Macroblocking), sound isn't as good as piccy and the outsider is the tosh 350, personally as one who owns 3 963 and has had 97, Samsung 950 etc etc stick with the 963.

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had a s97 feeding hdmi to my 435xde and to be honest I thought the quality was slightly inferior to my denon 2800mk2 via component. Horses for courses, personally, I wouldn't bother or if your desperate go to a local dealer and get a hdmi player on sale or return.

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    On the 3910 you have to switch HDMI output off to get the component working
    and vica versa. I don't know about other players tho. :)

T.

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    I bought an oppo to go with my new Sony Bravio KDLV32A earlier this week and sent it back. I just was'nt impressed enough with the pq.

Was considering waiting for the Denon 1920 tocome out but decide to get a Pioneer 575a from RS yesterday for £99 to give it a try and I am now in home cinema heaven. for me its perfect pq and sound quality i would expect from a player in the 3 - 400 range. I have to say i was'nt expecting a lot from the pioneer for 100 quid but it definitely has the WOW factor :D

I would'nt bother with upscaling ..adding data that never existed in the original scource to a digital image to make it a higher res will damage in the image imo and i certainly would'nt consider a machine that uses farouga to do this. hence why I never waited for the Denon.

9. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if i get this right

You can better get an good component DVD player then an HDMI dvd player? I want to replace my Sony (scart) dvd player with another one. I was considering the Denon 1920 but the upscaling (Faroudja chip) isn't so great i have read in several topics.

Jeffrey

10. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    hdmi will give you a better connection as its digital where as component is analogue however upscaling players add pixels to the original image that were there in the first place to increase the resolution. Some players do this very well such as the Panny S97 but most of the newer cheaper ones using farouga dont seem to.

its better to have a good player connected via component than a bad player connected by hdmi :)

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    So what do you think your plasma or LCD display does then??
    They will scale the image to fit its native resolution, they dont display DVD at its native res.
    Its a question of which does the better job of scaling, the dvd player or the Display. It can go both ways as some displays scalers are plain nasty, same with some dvd players.
    I know with the 868i it has a fairly good scaling engine, slightly better than my projectors by my eye so not all are bad.

Also is the faroudja chip bad at scaling?? we know it has the MBE bug but that dosent effect scaling quality

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    The Denon 2900 gives most HDMI based players good run for the money, but i think theres more to piture quality than just if its HDMI or component based player.
    More important is, are they any chroma issues, is the image cropt, how good is the deinterlacing etc etc.
    Personaly i stick with HDMI because it works well for me and using a upscaling dvd player IS giving me a better piture because in part it gives me a 1:1 pixel map (its only worth upscaling if you can directly match your displays native res, else will just add increased scaling to the chain)

As with component some are good some are very bad, HDMI is no different.

13. tonyli3

tonyli3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Like Turb007 i purchased the 575 for £99 from richers on Saturday to use with the same sony v32 lcd and from a brief look at the samsung hd950 a week or so ago would say the pioneer 575 beats that particular hdmi player big time without any upscaling a hell of a bargain at 99 quid!

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :smashin: I was just about to say the same thing.

One "benefit" of DVI/HDMI is the fact that you bypass a D->A->D conversion cycle hence it could potentially, emphasise could, be better. However experience of the Samsungs seems to be that just 'cause it's HDMI/DVI doesn't mean that everything is the garden is rosey. The Oppo is definitely worth a look, as is the aforementioned S97 by all accounts. That new Toshiba seems to get good reports too, and if you want to spend your life tweaking and don't wanna plump for a HTPC the Momitsu seems to be popular.

Difficult to beat the Pioneer 575 for the price though...PJ :)

15. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    sorry guys i was just trying to comment on my expeirence of an upscaling player ...the oppo which i owned for a few days and sent back due to bad pq generally. I did'nt like the effect i got with upscaling the pq was washed out and flat whereas the pq on my 575 is deep and vivid.

When i went for the pioneer i was also dubious because i thought for 99 quid it would be good for a "budget player" but i have to say i am completly satisfied with it and would have paid 2 - 300 for the same pq if i did'nt know any better.

If my TV handles upscaling better than a player ( i get the same pq out of my modded xbox as i do my oppo thereabouts ) then mores the better :D

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Same here, tremendous pic, would have happily paid double for this quality. I find detail set to fine and BNR On to be the best settings for me. With these settings the detail is great and the lack of any artifacts, considering how big the screen is, amazing. As soon as my brother saw it he bought one and is similarly impressed...PJ :)