Don't bother to upgrade receiver to UHD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by philbury, Dec 21, 2017.

1. philbury

philbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I just bought a Samsung UHD TV (UE58MU6120) and was pondering upgrading my receiver. Having used the TV for a bit I realise there is no need. It has three HDMI inputs one of which is ARC enabled and is connected to HDMI out on my Onkyo. I have a computer, which is almost redundant because of the apps on the Samsung, also connected via HDMI to the TV. I could have a Blu-ray player attached too but I have a Blu-ray drive in the PC. You could connect an Xbox or whatever.

The point is the TV outputs sound to the receiver in whatever format the media are in and the receiver faithfully displays the format and amplifies it to 5 speakers. I can't see I would gain anything by shoving everything through a UHD enabled receiver. I'm satisfied anyway.

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,766
      It is a good workaround. You do lose the HD audio codecs though, eg Dolby True HD / Atmos, DTS-HD MA / DTS:X and multi channel PCM.

3. philbury

philbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Do you? I'm getting 'Dolby Digital' and it's definitely outputting different stuff to all 5 speakers - my old Onkyo doesn't do Atmos etc and I don't need it.

The TV has optical out so presumably I could use that instead of ARC if there's something I need. I would then lose the convenience of the TV and receiver turning on and off simultaneously with only one command.

Copied from Audio Return Channel (HDMI ARC) Simplies TV Audio Connectivity

"Although there are some limitations with ARC, as part of HDMI ver2.1 (which was announced in January 2017), eARC (Enhanced ARC) was introduced which ups ARC capability by accommodating the transfer of immersive audio formats, such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, as well as audio from Smart TV streaming apps.

In other words, on TVs that include eARC, you can connect all of your audio and video sources to a compatible TV and the audio from those sources can be transferred from the TV to the home theater receiver via a single cable connection. You should see eARC capability in TVs and home theater receivers beginning in 2018."

4. liquidsoap89

liquidsoap89

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      It's a good solution for those with a "limited" setup (3 HDMI devices is hardly limited). But for someone like myself, I've got 5 HDMI devices that I wouldn't be able to fully route through the TV's inputs. And those with Dolby Atmos wouldn't get to take advantage of that setup until eARC TVs are eventually released.

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,766
      Yes.

As you quoted yourself enhanced ARC will include HD audio and immersive audio formats, but standard ARC doesn't. For eARC you need a compatible TV and AVR. Some of the 2017 AVR's include eARC, but it isn't enabled at the factory, a future firmware update will be needed.

A digital optical / toslink cable has the same limitations as ARC, in fact ARC has the advantage of supporting dolby digital plus, on some TV's but toslink cannot carry DD+ at all.

6. mbmapit

mbmapit

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +387
      What about Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS: X? None of which will go through ARC.

I'm very glad to hear you are happy but I wouldn't want to go back to regular surround formats after enjoying HD/MA/Atmos/DTS:X.

7. philbury

philbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve learnt a lot.

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,214
      Just to add it's only been in the last few years that new tvs would output Dolby digital 5.1 and dts via arc for external devices.

Before you were limited to 2 channel for external devices. The internal ones would still be 5.1

9. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,000
      There is also the issue that it f you wall mount a display or use a projector it's infinitely easier to hook up every source to an AVR and take just one HDMI to the display.

10. djt111

djt111

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +201
      the sound upgrade was worth it for me, on top i now have dts x and atmos so was a double win

11. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +171
      I fully subscribed to that train of thought although my onkyo did not have arc so got fed up with lip sync issues via optical as different apps had difffering delays. So I bought a Sony N1080 and wow, it sounds way better despite being half the size and weight. So no I don’t see the point in you buying an amp for connectivity reasons but in terms of sound quality things have moved on, way more than I thought possible given my Onkyo was around 900 quid and usually most things I buy get more expensive as time passes.

12. monkey butler

monkey butler

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      I've got a very similar setup, and i'm now thinking that i need to unplug m Xbox One from my TV, and plug it directly into my Onkyo HT-R538 AV amp. Therefore anything played from the TV would be via ARC, and anything from the Xbox (including Blu-Ray) would be via the Onkyo.

The only real question i have do folk here us the same HDMI to get the image from their sources back to the TV via the same ARC HDMI connection, or do they keep discrete HDMI cables? I'm not sure in my case what settings on the TV i'd need to use, if power control from the TV to amp would still work, and whether i could still control the Onkyo volume via the TV.

I'm also curious to know if people have to select inputs manually on their AV amps, or whether there's any auto-switching happening, as i currently don't have to use a remote for my amp at all.