1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't any of you have anything good to say about the Sony 32FQ75?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by garrad, Mar 1, 2002.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After many days of reading multiple websites and mainly this board I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Sony KV-32FQ75.

I think I only found one or two messages where people gave this tv a good review. The magazines seem to love this set, so why not the public?

I bought my set for €2173 from a Sony Centre in Dublin, Ireland. Got it home in a taxi as it was half the price of them to deliver. Set it up in 30 minutes (due to the stand) and my jaw dropped. This is really one of the most gorgeous sets I have seen in my life.

My Current Setup at the moment is:
    Sony KV-32FQ75
    Loewe Xemix 5006 DD DVD player
    Denon AVR-3801
    KEF KHT 2005 + HTS 2001 for 7.1 Dolby Digital EX & DTS ES movies
    US Xbox (got to love this on surround sound and widescreen)
    Sky Digital (Grundig box, wish I bought a separate Sony)

The Kef speakers are setup in a 7.1 movie playback mode. This is fantastic as the Denon amp will only use the back two speakers if it picks up a 7.1 signal.

The Loewe DVD player is a nice piece of kit, super sharp picture output and fantastic CD audio output.

The Xbox is a bit of fun, got this at Christmas and is jaw dropping on the Sony set, much better than your Playstation 2.

Anyway back to the TV…

I got the set back and plugged in the DVD player and place Star Wars Episode 1 into the drive. As expected using SVHS the tv set was not displaying NTSC in AV2 and AV3. I enabled this using the service menu and restarted the set. WOW I got my picture. I decided to play the movie and it looked very very sweet. But this was all played with sun coming through the windows.

I then shut out all the light in the room and decided to go looking for the defects mentioned here. (This by the way is actually the Sony KV-32FQ75 B) What do I find. Teletext has blurry text down the left-hand side and the start of Episode 1 you can see the two wavy lines going from Right to Left.

Ahhh fudge I was p*ssed for about 10 minutes, then I decided to investigate a little more. I don’t usually read teletext, so I went looking for this on Episode 1. I could not see the blurred picture at all. It was as sharp as can be, only when you have pixel text you can notice it. The picture doesn’t blend into each other. Do I mind about the blurry text, yes, does it affect me watching tv, playing Xbox or watching DVD’s NO. Not a problem here. You CAN’T notice it at all when watching moving pictures, only on fixed text, no matter what DRC 100Hz or 50Hz setting you have.

Right what about the lines moving across the screen? Hmm this was a tricky one. The 20th Century Fox logo appears then fades, you see them, the THX logo appears and then fades you see them and then you can notice them slightly in the star scenes…. Damn not good at all. Well as I said I did not touch the TV settings at all apart from enabling the NTSC on AV2 & 3.
    I entered the Episode 1 THX Optimode screen, which many DVD’s come with now, including Toy Story 1 & 2 and a couple others. I went through this, changing all the settings as recommended, moving the contrast around, brightness down a little, and a few other slight little adjustments.
    I played the movie again and guess what. NO LINES!! That’s right, if you set up your TV correctly you can’t see these lines and the movie looks AMAZING! I have really not seen a set which has produced such a clear picture as this one! The colours are so strong and vibrant while keeping all there correct tones. Picture sharpness in the films are prefect!! This TV SET was worth every cent and I am not going to take it back or complain.

You just need to tweak your settings, get a THX optimode movie and use the settings from that.

There was one little issue, the horizontal position for NTSC playback was off a little to far left which I could see in THX optimode, I fixed this using the service menu and it is a nice looking picture.

All in all, I have one very sweet setup, not any complaints about this set, just need to spend some time setting it up. I would recommend this set to anyone who can part the cash for such a cool TV. :D

2. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you read the threads you will know why!
    there's a lot to like about the set-great picture,the DRC feature gives a great effect.
    these are things the magazines notice and reward.
    however,these things count for nothing when you have irritating scrolly bars moving across the picture.
    if you can put up with them then fine.
    if not you'll be screaming for a refund like everyone else.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    no disrespect, but didnt garrad just explain how to get rid of the scrolling bar problem - or maybe that only works for certain sets?

DC

4. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a good thing to say about my FQ75. After several months of trouble and strife it magically turned into a Loewe :D.

Hmmm, do you work for Sony Garrad?! I tried tweaking the set using Star Wars Ep1 optimode, I tried disconnecting all the components, in fact I tried doing ritualistic dances in front of it, but the bars remained :devil:

I think you have been very lucky, and I am happy that you have no problems, but as there are so many similar complaints, it seems the odds of getting such a set are low.

I would NOT recommend this set. As for Loewe thats a different story.....

5. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, my Sony turned into a Loewe too ;)
    And that's the way it's going to stay!

6. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice the scrolling bars so much now, that i can't enjoy watching the TV. If... and that is a BIG IF, it could be repaired I might consider keeping it, because I like some the PAP, PIP, sound space features.

7. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Would like to come and tweak my set, Garrad? Tried everything except turning it off and the engineer did not know how to ?? Perhaps Sony can take you on their books and all the FQ problems will be solved and the SUK's Technical lot (who have been working so very hard behind the scene to find a cure for months now) can become horizontal again !!!

The FQ is a flawed masterpiece, I'm afraid. It's nice looking, great picture and have a lot of features including the infamous scrolling bars (Hmmmm.... where is the button to turn off this like you can with other features???.........)

cheers

fwan

8. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what he seems to be saying is....
    he bought one of the sets
    it has 2 major faults.
    he likes it anyway-easily pleased obviously.
    i rather like to purchase tv sets that work properly

9. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I was driving home this evening, I was just wondering if Garrad would be happy if he bought a brand new expensive car and on returning home, he has to tune the engine, adjust wheel alignment, brakes and head lights etc... to get it driving properly and safely.

There are such things as "Quality Control" and "Product Testing", Garrad !

10. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does have the two flaws, but for some reason if I use RGB scart 1 or SVHS scart 2 and use a THX Optimode dvd I can set the tv up so the two bars are invisible, can't see them at all, I have tried my hardest to notice them. At least it gets rid of one of them.

True the set does have it's faults, but then again, the picture is unlike any other 100hz set around, with the possible exception of Loewe, but they are just way too expensive.

11. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If the scrolly bars are indeed that easy to disguise surely Sony or all the different engineers who visited ppl with the FQ would have been able to do what you did. Maybe Sony could employ you to go around and fix all the sets experiencing this problem.:D

12. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Gerry for re-enforcing what I have said earlier. Garrad could be working for Sony, you know! Or he is so easily pleased even he have paid over £1400 for a defective set. Just wonder again, if he was served a half cooked hamburger from macdonald or BK, I suppose he would happily take it home to grill/fry it !
    :D

13. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't work for sony, I actually work for Microsoft.

Anyway, I have seen the scrolling bar problem, but when I set my tv up correctly to match THX Optimode dvd, I don't have the problem when watching anything, including playing Xbox or DVD's or Sky Digital. I don't have an arial so I can't say about standard tv singnal.

As for the blurry text, you don't notice any blurry picture when watching a moving picture, but you do notice it when watching static text.

Something I did notice was that if you get service mode up and lower the sharpness in there, which allows a greater deal of control then you can get rid of the blurry text. Not sure what the side effects of that are though.

14. fargo jerry

fargo jerry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have to say my piece here.

my Sony (32FQ75) has been near flawless. i did have the scrolling bars appear but that was only ever on S-Vid input (front)

i've yet to notice them thru scart....

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recieved my 32FQ75 a few days ago and I am very impressed with most things so far. I owned a 29" Phillips Matchline and I am familiar with good sets in the past, with the Sony FQ75 I did experience blurred text especially on teletext and a slightly stronger red but on DVDs that is not noticeable. I did not experience any faint lines that others had and the picture quality is strong and spot on. If you see very tiny horizontal lines especially on AV device when on 100Hz mode that might have something to do with screen pull, the settings of a DVD player or Sky digibox need to change the display size from 4:3 to 16:9
    and the tiny lines will disappear. The pluses far outweighed the minuses.
    I dont doubt that there is a seriouse hardware problem with some of the models and Sony UK is less than helpful, the FQ75 so far performed like a flawed genuise if you taken all the complaints and praises it had, but for those that have a working set like I have its leaves others in its class standing.

Taiko