Donny Darko

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
I know this is due for release inthe UK on the 25th of this month, but has anyone seen it already? Got a brilliant review in Q and I actually trust their reviews:eek:

This film is amazing!!!!!!

It is a bit wierd but watch it, even if you rent it watch it, I won't say anything about it because it will spoil the movie, but it is well worth a viewing, I watched it the day it arrived and then the next day as well, and picked up about 10 things I missed the first time.

It is one of those movies every time you see it you pick up little clues to the finale that you would not have the first time.

How many versions of the film is there?.

Was the one that everyones talking about made last year, and just been released on R1?.

The reason i ask is i haven't seen or heard much about this film but know that it is supposed to be good, i was going to order it earlier but wanted to know if its a remake or not.

It's not a remake of anything. It's an original movie and totally superb in every way. There was an extended cut of the movie made for a film festival, but the version released on R1 is the cinematic version. However, it does include all of the deleted scenes (and there are loads of them and every single one is worth watching!) and I doubt the festival release will ever see the light of day on DVD. Even if it does, in no way should you wait to see this movie. It's one to watch again and again and again and again..... then go through the web site for help ....... and watch again and again and again......... Excellent stuff! :)

Ive ordered this too sounds rather good :)

Talking of bizarre films but entertaining nonetheless as it stars Milla Jovovich ;) have you seen Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc ?. I was actually quite surprised out how good an actor Milla is, her english is impeccable.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0151137

yep its a great movie with a great soundtrack you will need to watch it a few times to get the most out of it the directors commentry is also worth listening to

see, you wait for ages for a reply.....and.............nothing

then four turn up all at once, better order a copy pronto. I will have to go and look at the web site now.

Originally posted by karkus30
I will have to go and look at the web site now.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Don't look at the Donnie Darko web site until after you've seen the movie!!!!!!!!!!! You'll ruin it for yourself mate!!!!

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Don't look at the Donnie Darko web site until after you've seen the movie!!!!!!!!!!! You'll ruin it for yourself mate!!!!

did'nt........thanks for the advice SG. Should I see it on the cinema first or wait for the R2 version or go against all my usual habits and buy a R1 ?

Originally posted by karkus30
did'nt........thanks for the advice SG. Should I see it on the cinema first or wait for the R2 version or go against all my usual habits and buy a R1 ?
Personally, I don't think this film works well in the cinema, which is probably why it bombed at the US box office. It's hard to pay absolute attention for the full duration and the first time I watched DD, I found myself searching back and forth through the movie a good few times to confirm and deny any theories I was forming at the time. Because I'd done this, by the time the movie ended, I found myself wanting to watch it again immediately. If I'd seen it in the cinema, I may have left feeling rather disgruntled and frustrated instead.

I don't know how the R2 compares to the R1 in terms of features, but I know that every single feature on the R1 is a must-have for me so if there are any missing from the R2, that will be a big no-no purchase. The R1 is a very good transfer too and can probably be had cheaper than the R2. Of course, if the R2 turns out to have a little extra than the R1, I shall be buying it :D And if they release a 2-disk version in the future, I'll be buying that too :D Hard to see what else they could add in terms of features though - the disk is already jam packed. So much so that there are 2 layer changes on the R1 DVD (a rare occurence indeed) - but don't worry, the designers picked 2 very good places for them :)

but don't worry, the designers picked 2 very good places for them :)

Tempting me eh ! Well, might just be my first R1 disc, need to celebrate....................beeeer.

Got this film on a whim and a few excellent reviews. I cannot believe how good this film is and cannot wait for it to come to my local Odeon [hopefully next week].

IIRC the reason it did not do well in the US is around the time of its release there was a plane crash in a built up area of the US East Coast, where one of the engines of the plane had broken off and landed on a petrol station. The film was pulled.

Boink!

i saw this film at the cinema last night

i thought it was excellent

however, i really haven't got a clue what was going on

can someone please explain or direct me to a site that does

i went to the official site and went all the way through it but it didn't help much

this film was like Lynch on acid after talking to Hawking who was on the ****

I also saw this last night on DVD (R1), good film but like you Bobbles i havn't a clue what was going on, i think i have but i wont explain just in case i spoil it for others. but like SG said i reckon i will be watching it again very soon.

Excerlent sound by the way, very atmostheric.

Guys,

You REALLY need the director's commentary, plus the deleted scenes (with the director's commentary). Bobbles - get the DVD ;)

Big clue to start you both off........

SPOILER ALERT

Read the pages of the book that the old woman wrote that are given on the web site (it's hard to read them on the DVD).

END OF SPOILER

Some discussion between myself and Encaser regarding the plot takes place on this thread (naturally, contains spoilers).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41117

Might be best not to look at that thread until you've heard the director's commentary though ....

Guys,

You REALLY need the director's commentary, plus the deleted scenes (with the director's commentary).

I dont think i could watch the whole film with the commentary on, i tried it with a james bond once and soon turned it off. But i suppose if it helps a bit then its worth a go.

Cheers SG.

Originally posted by ytgti
I dont think i could watch the whole film with the commentary on, i tried it with a james bond once and soon turned it off. But i suppose if it helps a bit then its worth a go.

Cheers SG.
I very rarely listen to commentaries as they bore the hell out of me, but trust me - this one is a must!

ordered the dvd this morning

will give the directors commentary a go

is there actually a definitive answer to what was going on

Originally posted by bobbles
is there actually a definitive answer to what was going on
For most of it, yes.

Odd bits and pieces are open for debate.

Ordered Donny Darko on R1, Im an R1 virgin so theres still a few concerns, like , is my 962 really multi region.

Still its the question that drives us, life would be very boring without uncertainty( that said, please let it be muli region, please, please, please).

did you order it from cd wow?

i did, and i am still waiting

i received an email assuring it would be sent by 30th Oct then another on the 30th Oct claiming it would be sent by the 5th November :mad:

Also ordered changing lanes from them, with the same result :mad:

if your dvd was advertised as multiregion then it is, if not take it back

Originally posted by bobbles
did you order it from cd wow?

i did, and i am still waiting

i received an email assuring it would be sent by 30th Oct then another on the 30th Oct claiming it would be sent by the 5th November :mad:

Also ordered changing lanes from them, with the same result :mad:

if your dvd was advertised as multiregion then it is, if not take it back

All other posts suggest CD WOW are OK, so I am trusting the majority. My player is pre hacked multi region from HiVizone in HK, but as yet I have never proved this as all my purchases have been R2. Did you finally get 'changing lanes' or did you cancel?

CD-WOW are okay - in fact, they are more than okay. Unfortunately, it's just that you've ordered a film that is very popular right now - you will see that Play is also out of stock of DD.

At least CD-WOW keep emailing you to keep you informed with the information that's available to them. I can think of several suppliers that wouldn't bother at all, and several more that would just send you one email to tell you there was a delay and leave you wondering when you were actually going to get it!

still waiting for it

to be fair cd wow are excellent i have bought loads of dvds from them and these are the first to be delayed

i have had several pre orders come weeks before the release date

i shouldn't moan really

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom