1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnie Darko

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Aug 21, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had never heard of this film until several people (including my good friend Squirrel) started singing its praises on this forum.

I see it is available quite cheaply from Future Ent, what is it all about and should I buy it?

Whoops, I just checked and either the price has gone up, or it was somewhere else that I saw it cheap.

Is it still worth buying at full price?

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're better off NOT knowing what it's about, it'll either put you off or give too much away.

As for whether you should buy it or not... if you like challenging, original, well made, interesting, thought provoking, quality films then yes, get your cash/card out. Now.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is all about? [​IMG]

In general, we could answer that, but take Juboy's advice. Know nothing about it and enjoy the truly awesome ride. :)

Specifically, there is enough to discuss for a lifetime :D There are so many little bits and pieces here and there that are open to interpretation and are up for debate. This is one of the few movies where I listened to the commentary track (on both the movie and the deleted scenes) - it helped with understanding it all.

Ah I feel like watching it again. This movie is sooooooooo good. One of my favourite movies :)

Juboy - Did you find the easter eggs on the disk yet? http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44195

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did actually take a look at the EEs Squirrel, I saw your original post. I do have to admit that in this particular DVD's case, listening to the commentary is almost a must.

I believe the director has gone on record as saying that due to cuts imposed (for running time reasons) it's impossible to understand the film as is.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with him! Thank gawd the deleted scenes are on the DVD - it's shocking what was removed! Even those combined with the commentary doesn't reveal all either though. I found I also had to work my way through all 3 levels of the web site as well. But I like all that - it made the movie more intriguing. :)

6. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excuse me for being thick(IQ 18:D) but has Donny Darko had a UK cinema release yet.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not as far as I know.

This kind of movie doesn't work well in the cinema anyway (it bombed in the US in theatres but did well on DVD).

8. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was wondering if there would ever be an R2 release of it. I checked around but have not found any mention of one.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG: apparently it took just over $500,000 at the US box office, against a $4.5 budget.

Criminal. I hope it at least breaks even on DVD and rental, it deserves to.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard anything of a release on any other region. I guess it has to come eventually, but then having said that, I got 'Panic' the other day and that's only available on R1 :eek: The R1 transfer of DD is very good anyway. And it's packed to high heaven with extras, which be reduced if released in other regions. I don't usually care for extras, but in this case, you need 'em all :D
    It is shocking for such a fantastic movie. I think the almost universally good reviews that it has since received on DVD will stand it in good stead. But if it's not released outside of the US, it will only hurt profits.

11. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I could be wrong here but I think its lack of success was due to post September 11th angst. The film was released around October in the US and the scenes with the plane (don't want to give anything away here!) were a problem when trying to promote it.

Shame as its a great film and has nothing to do with terrorism!.

Oh I think its released in the UK on 25th October

12. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is that at the cinema or on DVD.

13. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Cinema.

14. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Best I get the R1 DVD then as I can't be arsed to wait that long.:(

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good man :)

16. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any film with a giant talking rabbit has got to be worth seeing in my book.:D

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must get round to ordering "Harvey" at some point :D

Incidentally, the blurb on the back cover of Donnie Darko makes comparisons with Final Destination and Stir of Echoes which are very misleading. Not those sorts of movies at all. But I am grateful that they did because I had not heard of Stir of Echoes before then and I went and ordered it - must say, it's a really good movie :)

18. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use to watch a cartoon back home about a talking boomer, talk about give ya nightmares.

19. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Who said anything about a talking jacksey.:confused: I know a few people who talk through them but i have never seen one talk under it's own steam so to speak. Must be a bit disturbing if it arses you a question.

20. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you ain't on about Drilling for Vegemite/Doing the chocolate Cha Cha?

Boomer is a kangaroo. :D

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame it got overshadowed by the heavyweight of the genre, The Sixth Sense. Personally I found Stir of Echoes a better story, if not quite as well made a film.

22. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw stir of echoes on sky movies, I must say I thought it was pretty good, the ending was a little bit weak but still very good.