1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

donnie darko..

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by codling, May 8, 2002.

1. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    what a movie,

i need to watch it again.head battering:confused: ,i have my own interpretation,of what it is about.
    this is a must,think ill be giving this one plenty of viewing

this is what movies are all about,class:cool:

carl

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hum, I have it but aint watched it yet. Sounds like I better view it after eating plenty of fish, so Friday then.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    yep I agree a top film but it needs a couple of viewings as after the first viewing you will have a sore head trying to work out what happened:D

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's just not enough info to go on in the movie itself! This is partly due to the 10 mins of cuts the director was forced to make, but also because even one word here and there in the movie conveys an awful lot of information and too much is left unsaid. Kelly himself says he needs to address the clarity issue in his next movie!! So repeated viewing doesn't help much - extra info from elsewhere is needed!!

I found that listening to the director's commentary as well as viewing the additional/extended scenes (and listen to the commentary on those too) helped a great deal. Viewing the website gallery and the Philosophy of Time Travel book on the DVD helped some more - although these can be quite hard to read on screen, depending on the size of your TV set (they are replicated at the website below but some items, e.g. the notes in the book, seem to have extra info on the DVD).

Most of all, however, I found that a lot is revealed by working through all 3 levels of the Donnie Darko website http://www.donniedarko.com/. Of particular importance are the extracts from the Philosophy of Time Travel book (particularly the notes) and all of the various newspaper stories (which give you a further understanding of the roles of the various characters, particularly the physics teacher and Jim Cunningham). ;)

Another useful aid is [​IMG] (click on "Cellar Door" on the blackboard to enter). It contains typed out versions of the book as well as the text of Donnie's poem (which is a deleted scene, but is on the DVD) and links to useful websites.

From all this I think I've worked out the vast majority of what is going on in the movie. The rest is a little open ended or is unknown (as the book explains and as Kelly hints at in the commentary). :)

I think Donnie Darko is a fantastic film that is already one of my favourites. It is well worth the effort figuring it all out! The movie wreaks in so many places of latter-day Lynch and I think this has to be the director's biggest influence. The comparisons with Final Destination and so on that the back of the DVD states are just twaddle - how hard did you have to think about Final Destination? :p

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd bump this up, seeing as the movie is "in the headlines" :)

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered it on your recommendation SG, should be here on Tuesday:)