Donnie Darko to play Spiderman??

James45

Standard Member
I've just heard that Tobey Maguire has a back injury at the moment and may not be fit enough to reprise his role in Spiderman 2 which begins shooting in a matter of weeks.
Apparently Jake Gylenhaal (Donnie Darko himself) is in training as a stand by to replace Maguire should he not recover in time.
And Alfred Molina has been signed to play Doc Oc, who will wear an animatronics suit rather than CGI!:clap:
 

Garrett

Moderator
I heard that the other day as well, apparently there is some big love scenes in Spider-Man 2.:rolleyes: :D

Seriously I read Tobey was required to a lot of stunt work. I hope he gets better in time.
 
J

juboy

Guest
Originally posted by James45
I've just heard that Tobey Maguire has a back injury at the moment and may not be fit enough to reprise his role in Spiderman 2 which begins shooting in a matter of weeks.
Good news.

Originally posted by James45
will wear an animatronics suit rather than CGI!:clap:
Even better news.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Originally posted by juboy
Good news.



Even better news.
Not having seen Donnie Darko and not knowing Jake Gylenhaal why would you prefer him to Tobey Maguire I though Tobey played the part all right. Or did you mean the filming starts in 2 weeks?

Good news on the non use of CGI, as I thought the use of them in Spider-Man was obvious.

Anybody know what part Bruce Campbell takes part as (I hope not as a super villain thus keeping it down to Doc Oc).
 
J

juboy

Guest
Originally posted by Garrett
why would you prefer him to Tobey Maguire I though Tobey played the part all right.
I think it could be done better... look at the Batman franchise, Michael Keaton was OK but certainly not the best Batman.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Originally posted by juboy
I think it could be done better... look at the Batman franchise, Michael Keaton was OK but certainly not the best Batman.
:eek:
Although he did not have the right physique for Batman I thought he played the role the best as he can portray that dark side that Batman has, which the other two never managed.
 
J

juboy

Guest
Without getting into a 'who was the best Batman' debate, I'm just saying that Tobey Maguire is hardly indispensable... and it looks as though Sam Raimi/Columbia TriStar agrees.

Bad back. Hmmm.

According to Bruce Campbell, he won't be playing Lizard (which probably means he will) and as far as his actual part goes:
"A guy hit by a bus, I don’t know…just some small little thing."
 

MuFu

Novice Member
Originally posted by James45
And Alfred Molina has been signed to play Doc Oc, who will wear an animatronics suit rather than CGI!:clap:
Roger Moore could have done with one of them to help his acting.

Michael Keaton was an awesome Batman - the best one by far, IMHO.

MuFu.
 
M

Marcus Skidd

Guest
Originally posted by juboy
Without getting into a 'who was the best Batman' debate,
Why not, sounds like a good idae for a discussion
 

pointon

Novice Member
Originally posted by juboy
Without getting into a 'who was the best Batman' debate, I'm just saying that Tobey Maguire is hardly indispensable...
And hopefully getting into a 'who was the best Batman?' debate, I say Michael Keaton was. Although his competition really ain't much at all. He was soooo much better than Clooney or Kilmer... or West...
 
G

Gambit

Guest
Clooney was better, but Val Kilmer sucked. I think we can all agree on that.
 
E

EvilMudge

Guest
Adam West everytime. Read the comic books, Batman is a Sartrean counterpart to Superman's Nietzschian ideals. Or so my Philosophy & Comic book reading mate thinks.:confused:
 

James45

Standard Member
i think that although Peter Parker is supposed to be a geek to start with he becomes a bit more of a wise-cracking smartarse when he takes on the spiderman role.
tobey maguire is a tad too geeky IMO, jake could be great as spiderman. incidentally one nicholas brandon auditioned for spiderman in the original movie, Xander Harris (his buffy character) is about as close to peter parker as you could hope to get, he would have been great!
i think alfred molina could be a great Doc Oc as well.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Originally posted by EvilMudge
Adam West everytime. Read the comic books, Batman is a Sartrean counterpart to Superman's Nietzschian ideals. Or so my Philosophy & Comic book reading mate thinks.:confused:
juboy has opened a thread up on the different actors that played Batman although a strange title for it 'It's the poll right? Chicks love my poll" :confused: go here for further discussions on the subject. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73853
 

Garrett

Moderator
Originally posted by James45
i think that although Peter Parker is supposed to be a geek to start with he becomes a bit more of a wise-cracking smartarse when he takes on the spiderman role.
tobey maguire is a tad too geeky IMO, jake could be great as spiderman. incidentally one nicholas brandon auditioned for spiderman in the original movie, Xander Harris (his buffy character) is about as close to peter parker as you could hope to get, he would have been great!
i think alfred molina could be a great Doc Oc as well.
Peter Parker was still a bit geeky as PPwhen he became Spider-Man and was wise cracking in the costume. If Tobey was not wisecracking enough as Spider-Man would than not be down to the script writers?
 

James45

Standard Member
that a fair point... but tobey does get some wisecracking in while in the spiderman suit its just that I don't feel he's able to wisecrack believably.
 

adox

Banned
just read that spiderman has been put back for two months to let tobey maguire recover from his back injury
 

spidermanalf

Active Member
How can it be put back, when they have not even started filming?

And surely they could still carry on with principal photography.

Could be wrong, and probably are, but hey!
 

adox

Banned
Originally posted by spidermanalf
How can it be put back, when they have not even started filming?

And surely they could still carry on with principal photography.

Could be wrong, and probably are, but hey!
the release date has been put back by two months because tobey maguire has a back injury and so cannot start filming as scheduled. even if they do carry on with principal photography, the small matter of not having the actor who plays spiderman available will cause delays:rolleyes:
it was pencilled in for a may 2004 release, but that has slipped to june 2004 to give maguire time to recover. if he is unable to perform his stunts then he is to be replaced with jake gyllenhall.

the vampire movie van helsing has had it`s release date brought forward to may 2004 to fill the gap
 
S

Squirrel God

Guest
I don't ever like the idea of an actor that plays a character (especially a leading one) changing between sequels (or series of TV shows).

As much as I love both Tobey Maguire and Jake Goolies as actors, it has to be Tobey for continuity.
 

groundy

Standard Member
Originally posted by Squirrel God

As much as I love both Tobey Maguire and Jake Goolies as actors, it has to be Tobey for continuity.
I agree - Julianne Moore made a laughable job of Clarice Starling - although Hannibal was laughable anyway :rolleyes:.

Saying all that, I won't be going to see Spiderman 2 as the first one was dreadful.
 

RL123

Novice Member
Originally posted by groundy
I agree - Julianne Moore made a laughable job of Clarice Starling - although Hannibal was laughable anyway :rolleyes:.

Saying all that, I won't be going to see Spiderman 2 as the first one was dreadful.
Yep - I agree, I agree and I agree some more :laugh:

But...I think Nicholas Brendon would have made a cool Superman. Would have been great for the character IMO. Wouldn't have saved the film but could have made it a bit more enjoyable.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG Soundbar UK prices and availability for 2020 confirmed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom