1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnie Darko LE Holographic 2-Disc Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dean, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Anyone else got this? I picked it up today so gonna look forward checking it tonight, seems to be worth buying with all the extra footage and special extras. Apparently it has been remaster and rescored too :smashin:

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    just traded the directors cut with someone, but i didn't think to ask if it's the holographic one or not, would be cool if it is, but the movie is the important part right?

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched this film last night, superb :smashin: and the DTS soundtrack just sounded excellent :cool:

John :)

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Agreed, thought that the sound remix was really effective, clearly different to the original which was impressive anyway. DVD menu is pretty cool too :smashin:

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    you've just reminded me that i've got this!! i bought last week and i've not watched D'oh!!! (slaps forehead!!)

oh there it is in my sig D'oh!! (slaps forehead again - ow!! that hurt!! D'oh!)

Gary

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    so worth buying then?i had the orig release but found the pic quality to be a bit of a let down,have they tarted this new release up a bit???i heard of new sfx and that?

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only rented the first release and never bought it but the picture and sound on this 2 disk edition is superb the DTS track is worth the purchase IMHO.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The PQ is just as bad as I remember on the older one, the sound is much improved. The bits added to the film do little other than extend the running time, I prefer the original cut.

9. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just picked one up today and watched the 2nd disc. Didn't think much of it, the only good thing was the production diary.
    Listened to the first 5 mins of the DTS track dnd it sounded really good, hope it keeps up for the rest of the movie.
    From what I'm aware, its still the same movie but there is alot of difference.

10. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now watched my Donnie Darko's Dir Cut and must say that I really, really liked it. It almost is a different movie as it lets us in on all the facts that where hard to understand in the first place.

Everyone should see this cut of Donnie Darko.

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, i even went out and bought the soundtrack how sad :blush:

12. elicash73

elicash73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    There's nothing wrong with the picture quality. You're seeing the amplified film grain, that was a result of using an extremely fast film stock (made or re-made just the film) that allowed them to shoot in low/no light to create the films look.

Is this disc really worth it? Are the extras good, because the first Region 1 release was excellent anyway. Is everything geared towards the UK Donnie Darko "phenomenon"? I'm dubious of the recut anyway because aside from the George Lucas effects revamps, it sounds like he's tried to make it all more easy to understand rather than actually enhancing characters or adding the ideas behind it all.

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Film grain is fine, it's just a bit soft and lacks detail. Re the extra bits, sticking up the odd chapter page and bit of text to read doesn't do it for me. The extra scene with the psychiatrist that doesn't make sense at all, one minute she is perfectly happy with him telling him the pills are placebos, the next minute she must get in touch with the mother about an urgent matter.

14. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I was/am a massive fan of the first cut, but IMO this new one totally ruins the film... :thumbsdow And what's with the INXS..? :suicide:

15. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I actually prefer the DC as it explains and shows aspects from the Time Travel book and allows everything to fit into place.