1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnie Darko layer change

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect there is an unusual layer change with this DVD (R1). It seems to occur twice - once at the end of chapter 21 and again at the end of chapter 22 (I know because my player's display flashes the pause icon momentarily). This would suggest that the entire movie is on one layer, apart from chapter 22 which is on the other layer. It therefore needs to switch back after showing chapter 22. I can think of no other explanation, other than my disk being faulty of course!

Can anyone who owns this disk please let me know if their disk also changes layer at these points? :confused:

Cheers :)

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

Er. Wouldn't that be kinda 2 layers after all then mate?:rolleyes:
    Damn. And I thought the film was confusing.:p

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite lol. It plays Chapter 1 to Chapter 21 on Layer A, then switches to Layer B to play Chapter 22, then switches back to Layer A to play Chapter 23 and the rest of the chapters. That's my theory anyway - sounds odd to me but my player looks like it's doing a layer change twice and they are two good spots to make nice clean breaks ...... :confused:

Have you got this DVD mate? If so, could you check your copy please? :D

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm bored so I'm gonna watch it now. But I've had a rethink on your theory and now am assuming there's THREE layers, as I've not heard of a dvd going from 1 to 2 and back to 1.
    <brain suitabley fried for rewatch, might make sense now - confused, you will be. If that don't do it I'll stick on Requiem For A Dream just for effect>

Edit - perhaps the editing guys thought this way, Ed 1,"Hey wouldn't this make for a great LC place for a laugh just to confuse the movie buyer further. Ha Ha Ha!
    Ed 2, You crack me snip, you're the best. Ha Ha Ha!"

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now my brain's fried :p

Just read your previous post back and my response. Yes - 2 layers after all, which is what I was trying to say in the first post. But rather than it just switching to the second layer and continuing the movie, it switches back again .... As you say, I've never heard of a DVD doing this either...

If the editing guys are playing with our heads, then they're evil :devil:

Enjoy the film - will look forward to your response :) Hope I haven't got a faulty disk :(

Cheers matey :D

(BTW, I've got Requiem for a Dream too - great movie :D)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found some reports of glitches with Donnie Darko on a US forum...

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17500&highlight=donnie+darko

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17059&highlight=donnie+darko

They're not the same thing as I'm experiencing - I just have the briefest of pauses after chapter 21 and 22, but the disk plays perfectly otherwise - so now I'm really confused.......that odd double layer change I'm seeing is probably not a double layer change at all but a faulty disk :confused:

Am even more interested to see how your copy is now Encaser... :(

Hope I haven't dipped into a faulty batch :(

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Never on a first date luv:kisses:

I watched it on HTPC and so no prob noticed lc:p
    Sorry for not getting back sooner matie.

My original first view impressions:
    I thought the story is excellant, top acting and I was amased how much UK music there is. I think I sussed out pretty much what the deal was ok too, but going on the official site bedded theory better to what was there to be found.
    It seems to lend its self toward a lot of influences - or homage's as is more in vogue to say. There were moments throughout where I was going, "ooh mobius strip tearing through...super hero on a righteous path who saves the world...alternate universe...guy gets girl, guy loses girl and guy splats self to save girl and world...bully grrrr....that Chinese girl - alien/spy? -,...oh no, fat guy, hum, looks dodgy" interspersed with this is so funny/quirkie why didn't I watch it sooner?!
    I remember thinking it would be another uneasy view like Requiem for a Dream with all the hype at the time.
    It took me a bit of pondering to rethink that the end is, although ultimately sacrifice for Donnie, a happy one insofar as he goes on to the next level for doing the divines bidding willingly and the bad that happened possibly doesn't rehappen in the unintrerupted universe - although Swayze's character still needed taking out whatever.
    Cracking film. If you hadn't brought up the lc I wouldn't have bothered watching early hours - see, lc can be good!
    Don't know what it is about Drew Barrymore but usually when I hear her name I just think ho hum, though when you see her it's a bit of a schwing feeling. Weird. Still, even the mum had me turning me head.

<note to self, get out more>

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do like Drew Barrymore. Ever since she did The Wedding Singer she just does it for me now ... I wish :p

Yes, I don't notice any layer changes on my DVD-ROM either.... computers are great because of the buffers ....

NEXT BIT CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM.......

Apparently the fat guy in the orange gear is one of the flight investigators from the FAA ... Kelly mentions it in the director's commentary.

Fantastic film. Web site definitely helps as does any prior reading of Stephen Hawking or David Deutsch (particularly The Fabric of Reality). I loved the last bit on the website, with the telephone conversation about the aircraft... great :D

Not sure about the Chinese girl. There's a couple of theories about her, none of which I'm entirely happy with. Ultimately, I think she is just one of the "manipulated living" and she hates what is happening to her (being controlled) and doesn't realise why it is. Donnie realises this towards the ends and that's why he says to her "it will get better for you, you know".... that's my theory anyway :)

Lots to ponder in this movie... one guy on a forum said that the ending is EXACTLY the same as Mulholland Drive... Not sure that's true, but it certainly helps to explain some things in Mulholland Drive .. bit of a bonus really :D

Glad you liked it :)

Thanks for checking out the l/c for me too mate :)

And apparently......

:D

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    SG, reading Stephen Hawking - the horror, or is that Ned in South Park?!
    The Chinese girl is confusing in that at first it seems as though she is def' a spy - the pressing the ear muffs (fa na) to her head when Donnie talks to Monnitoff like mic ear phones. Though, then the book with Donnie's name on red herrings you to crush, but I took the kind future words Donnie gives her as his knowing that the present harsh reality will change for the better as God (?) was pressing for the divine path. But then of course there's the argument given against predetermination and also that tears in reality can occur which further disrupt paths. However, if 'the divine' is altering paths back to 'His' own you're back to predeterminate reality. Then again, you could always argue the infinite possibility loop or what if an evil person was the receiver and chose to not follow the divine path out of malevolence free-will. Abort/Cancel/Retry[​IMG]

Kelly isn't English is he? I'm interested in the English connection because of not only all the music but also you reminded of the site with the flight talkie bit which was an English chap talking to an US counterpart?

The new project sounds hopeful. Also Kelly, Aronofsky and Selby should get together; just imagine the head **** they could create.

As for Mulholland Drive, that's due at door tomorrow - along with The Royal Tennenbaums, Gosford Park and Titus.
    <note to self, buy more fish>

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelly doesn't sound English on the director's commentary so I would say no. But he certainly likes some British culture such as music and authors :)

The Chinese girl is confusing. She can ruin your thinking - just when you think you've got the whole thing sewn up, you then have to try and fit her actions into it. I'm gonna have to have a further think about her when I watch it next time, because you're making me think there might be more to her again now :rolleyes:

You should enjoy Mulholland Drive. I'm gonna watch The Royal Tenenbaums sometime in the next couple of days. :)

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    SG, had another thought on the Chineses girl, perhaps she was covering her ears because she wasn't allowed to hear the finer points of wormhole travel etc...

Saw Mulholland Drive and did indeed enjoy it. Not sure I got it all, as I was slightly worse for wear by the time it finished, but think it was a series of wish placements wizz banged by 'Betty/Diane' aka the neice. I couldn't help but notice the digital blurring of the Holiest of Holy's of Ms. Harring after all the hype on here, but hardly think it spoilt anything and am actually quite pleased to not be faced by ads to see it and so spoil the memory/feeling of a decent film.
    One thing the film did have me doing was reaching (don't remind me, I digress) for some Badalamenti music, even a Julie Cruise cd I got at Twin Peaks time! The theater bit had me singing along as if it was Roy Orbison instead of the conchita.
    You can always bet on Lynch to make you think thrice and chuckle at absurd plots ala the hit man. Where does he find all the nut-job characters who are also interesting just to look at?! It's put me in mind for Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks movie - Headaches Walk With Me!

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe. But no one else covered their ears....

Join the club :D

Nice! Who were they made to though? Perhaps the guy on stage who owned the club was controlling things... Maybe the club was a wish club... I have only seen it once so far unfortunately :(

I watched it before I read the comments on here about the blurry minge and I have to say I didn't even notice that there was any blurring. It certainly ruins nothing in the movie, as you say, so I had no problem with it either. :)

I love Angelo Badalamenti's stuff. His music fits in soooo purrrrfectly with the moods Lynch creates. Angelo did an album with Tim Booth out of James that is well worth checking out if you haven't heard it.

Have you seen Lost Highway? That'll hurt your head far more than anything else and it's seriously creepy! ;)

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yes I have seen Lost Highway and agree it's spookiness on a factor verging out of spooky to OO...
    Although, fortunately it's Arquette of the P. variety who is duplicitous by nature and expetation and close in age. I always favoured her older Poodle-like sister in the main, but a good film none-the-less.
    I think that Mulholland Drive is a Betty in control situation of which we are all minority to her cause - but who cares, I like it.

Argh yes, the Chinese girl, if you recall there were no others present to hear but tech', Donnie and her...

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hhhmmm...... gotta watch it again, I just gotta :devil: