1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnie Darko - Last Temptation of Christ

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by WBC, May 17, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have been trying to make head and tail of 'Donnie Darko'.

Watched it the other night, fantastic film but now spend most of my time surfing the web trying to work out what was going on.

The web has references to the film having alot of influence from 'The Last Temptations of Christ'.

Squirell God - Is this a fair statement, or can you pm me with your understandings of the film (cause its doin my head in :zonked: !!)

By the way, is the last temptation of christ worth getting?????

R1 - £25 from Play????

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where's Bible Brandon? :)

What did you not understand from Donnie Darko?

Spoiler (don't know how to adjust colour)

He could see the future, and peoples Gia, the bunny rabbit was the reason for his visions (the car driver) and somehow he reversed time.

That's what I could make from it.

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's definately more to it than that!!!!

Check out this site: -

http://www.stagingpoint.com/archives/000053.html

Has quite a few ideas as to the meaning of the film.

Let me know what you think!!!

Won't add my thoughts just yet, just incase there are still people who haven't seen this film (Although I must be the last!!!)

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I initially thought the bunny was Satan.

I think people are putting too much emphasis on the film. You could dissect Armageddon and class it as religious- saying Bruce Willis is Christ because he is saving humanity and sacrificing himself.

I see it as Donnie had a gift of partially seeing people's future path. I guess he was supposed to die in bed, but because Grethcen died he wanted to make things right, so unknowingly he created the wormhole and stayed in bed at the end of the film, rather than get out of the room. He laughed because he knew his death would save Gretchen's life.

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Have you seen 'Last Temptation of Christ'????

Is it any good and does it provoke thought?????

I'm not religous (at all!!) but I do like a movie that gets you thinking!!!!!

Trouble is, its £25 on play (R1). Seems a bit steep especially if its crap! ;)

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No haven't seen it.

Criterion's are quite expensive. $29 on DVD empire's site, that's $20. Plus shipping of course.

Over £18 DVD's from Play get stopped alot more often now. I don't think I'll buy any boxsets from Play anymore.

7. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody seen it??????

OR

Anyone suggest anymore films that will get you thinking like Darko?????

Doesn't have to be in the same vein just has to provoke thought much like K-Pax!!!!!

Stace:D

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Memento.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stace,

That website link you gave is a bit off whack with its interpretations :eek:

You need to see the pages of Roberta's book, which are on the DVD (hard to read) and here http://www.ruinedeye.com/cd/follow.htm (easier to read)

Go through www.donniedarko.com as well :smashin:

Some discussion here on top of what you get from Roberta's book:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54553

As you'll see when you read the page of the book....

SPOILER (highlight)

No way is the bunny rabbit God!! It really is Frank!!

END OF SPOILER

Want more films to make you think? Memento's a bit too easy as you get it first time. Get some David Lynch (Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet,and in particular, Lost Highway). If you REALLY want to have your life taken over by something... then Twin Peaks :smashin:

10. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Armageddon can very much be seen as a religious film, with all sorts of references to sun god type cults and things like that.

11. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The great thing about DD is that as soon as someone else puts their tu-pence in, you have to re-evaluate your theories on the storyline.......

Anyway.......what about 'Last Temptation of Christ' is it worth the buy????

I can't believe that no-one here has seen it, or doesn't own it........That would be ludicris, imagine that, a dvd which is not owned by a member of this community

:nono: :nono:

KRRK:
    I struggle to believe that Armageddon set out to have religious undertones. All Bruce and the boys were worried about was not having to pay anymore taxes :smashin:

DD definately set out to push various thoughts into ones mind!!! :devil:

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Krrk, if that was a wisecrack at me then you didn't get my point. Any low-brow movie can be taken apart by film critics and scrutinized.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm right though. Oh yes I am. I am. Yes. :D

14. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God

Please pm me with your thoughts on the story. Its doin my ****in head in!!!!!

WHAT ABOUT 'LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST' god dammit!!!!!

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just given you the links that explain it. All you need to do is read the pages from Roberta Sparrow's book from the website. It even explains the role of each character on her scrawled notes on the back. Read those pages, then PM me if you have any questions - easier than me just guessing what you want to know ;)

I haven't seen Last Temptation of Christ but CellarDoor do also reckon there are links (maybe just because of the religious theme).

16. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God,

Thanks, I have read the links, but will do again..............I'll then let you know my thoughts and you can disect!!!!!!!

Thanks Again

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a very powerfull film with great performances. I had no regrets about buying it. Probably not everyones cup of tea. I wouldnt compare it to Donnie Darko.

19. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed 'Last Temptation Of Christ' even though I am not religous at all. It's an interesting work, and the Criterion has excellent extra features and a wonderful commentary. Well worth the price.

I wasn't having a pop at anyone with the Armageddon thing. There are a lot of interesting things going on in Armageddon, I thought. The point about critics taking things from low brow movies is valid as far as defining a low brow movie. Low Brow today is a bona fide classic tomorrow, look at Douglas Sirke, loathed by serious critics at the time, but exalted today. This pattern is repeated often in film, music and art in general.

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thks a lot nathan silly i'm readin this thread and have never seen the film and now its spoiled for me :eek:(

21. dave_b9000

dave_b9000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have seen the last temptation of christ. i found it to be a very interesting film, but am not convinced about the comparissons to donnie darko. Aside form the obvoius "sacrifice" the only other coparrison i would draw is that....

SPOILERS************
    donnie in effect gets to see what happens in everyones life if he doesn't die and the film makes a point of showing how this effects everyone from the school teacher getting fired to patrick swaysie's charachter getting discovered for waht he ultimatly is and ultimetly gretchin's death and he realised that if he goes back and "sacrafices" himself then this will not happen. there is a similar situation in last temptation where christ has a vision of what wil happen if he doesn't sacrafice himself and we see his life afterwards and the effect his message has on others.

22. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I did say Spoiler.

Bit daft to read a thread discussion Donnie Darko if you haven't seen it.:rolleyes:

Stace's first post should give you a idea that any subsequent posts will probably contain spoilers.

23. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tip, if you've not seen the film, its always best not to click on any thread with the name of the film in it's title. :)

24. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought this film was fantastic, and have now watched it about 8 times:D

What bothers me is the amount of people i recommend it to, that beat themselves up becuase it dosent have a gift wrapped ending.:rolleyes:

I love the fact 5 people can watch it, and come away with 5 different theories. People should take from it what they will, and not panic that there missing out on something.

More DVD's like this please!:smashin:

25. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dave_b9000's basically hit the nail on the head with what he wrote in the spoiler section, thats what i got from it anyway. For a better explaination of whats going on it's a good idea to watch the directors commentary on the dvd, quite insightful imo.

26. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not going to start the whole 'I don't like it' thing again. But I just thought I'd repeat my interpretation of the film:

It's a remake of 'It's a Wonderful Life', but with the name changed to 'It's a Crap Life, and its All Your Fault'.

Films that made me think:

Catch 22 (but the book is way better)
    Jacob's Ladder
    Twelve Monkeys
    Brazil (not to the same extent, but it's a top film!!)

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only it's not at all :rolleyes:

28. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did say that was my interpretation! Actually, I think the whole idea of the film draws a lot from 'Wonderful Life', but turns it on its head somewhat. Just my opinion, obviously.

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'd agree that there is an influence there with some aspects. But the two plots are substantially different with little intersection at all.

30. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    SPOILERS************[/COLOR]

I apologise for dragging this thread back from the dead but I have aquestion that i can't find an answer to.

Right at the end of the film as the whole street is stood around looking at the wreckage of Donnie's house, Gretchen rides past and stops to chat to one of the young lads.

At the ned of the scene there is some sort of "knowing wave" between her and Donnie's Mum.

What the "F" is that all about ?